Pre-Season 2013/14 Thread

Toxteth O'Grady

Totally agree that you can't read much into a preseason friendly but there definitely was a lack of pace until ZFA came on and I thought he showed real promise. Was a bit disappointed with Lawson but still far too soon to tell. Also thought Hutchy was unusually poor, gave the ball away too much and was caught out of position on the 4th, but he was playing with several defensive partners during the game. Vigurs looked good and I thought the trialist made some good runs. Also agree that Hammell played well and his experience showed.

Agree with most of the Hollis comments. Gunnar looks more confident between the sticks.

Plenty of promise though and hopefully after another couple of games we'll be ready to take on whoever we get in the draw on Friday.

Strange starting selection with Hutch and Cummings pairing up in front of Hollis. We already know they arent the greatest partnership from last season so to put them together in front of a keeper trying to find his feet didnt do Hollis any favours. Third goal was a real howler though.

Looked much more solid at the back when Ramsden moved into the middle with Hutch and Kerr to right back. Nielsen looks a more confident keeper as well, although it is still early days.

Lawson was tidy. Vigurs impressed. Carsewell was more impressive than Lasley but we know what both can do. I would be happy to give ZFA the left mid slot right now. His pace and width changed the game when he came on.

Thought Anier worked away without doing anything overly spectacular. Not sure him and McHugh are a good fit. Seem too similar to work as a partnership.

The other Trialist did ok. Smashing piece of skill to put the pen away. He might be worth a punt......

I'm not judging Hollis on 45 mins tonight, but on every game I have seen him in a Well jersey and I'm sorry but I just dont think hes very good.

Think Kerr did ok when he came on at right wing back.

Defo looks like we are gearing up for a 3-5-2 next year with Vigurs playing in the hole behind a front two. Lawson, Lasley playing behind him.

Was impressed by Vigurs tonight looks very tidy on the ball, good passer and will score a few.

Throw in McManus, Faddy from the start and Sutton up top we will be a decent side next year.

Did we go 3-5-2 tonight when ZFA came on? If so who player left wing back?

Actually thought Kerr did pretty well. My concerns were Cummins really struggled both positionally and with the ball and Hollis's body seems to have more holes in it than Muirfield golf course. Ramsden was very inclined to wander when he was right back, either forwards or inwards and a lot of Newcastle's good work in the first half came from his side. When he was moved in one and Kerr went to right back we looked much more secure. It was no accident the one time Kerr wandered out of position in the second half is when they scored. Thought we looked a fine team with the ball at our feet, most of our problems came when they were in possession in that our positional sense didn't deal with it. McManus should help that. Also, Newcastle were big, powerful and fast. We won't play many teams, if any, like that this season so I think we have a lot to be encouraged about.

Did we go 3-5-2 tonight when ZFA came on? If so who player left wing back?

No. Kerr played right back, Hutch and Ramsden in the middle and Hammell left back. ZFA played left mid with Carswell, Lasley in the middle and Vigurs on the right with the two trialists up top. Faddy retreated when Moore came on.

No. Kerr played right back, Hutch and Ramsden in the middle and Hammell left back. ZFA played left mid with Carswell, Lasley in the middle and Vigurs on the right with the two trialists up top. Faddy retreated when Moore came on.

Have to disagree with you on this.

To me, we were playing 5-3-2 with Kerr on the right wing back position, ZFA on the left wing back position and Hammell, Hutchinson and Ramsden the three across the back.

Hammell played left back in the first half but I'd say he moved inside when ZFA came on.

• Like 1

Cheers. Hope we are not going to persist with last years shape despite having a radically different squad. Any variation of or present squad in a 442 leaves us far inferior to last year. Interesting to see the starting line up on Sat.

I think McCall has played it pretty well with the keepers. When Hollis was here himself he said all the right things about having faith in him if he proved to be number one this season.

When Nielsen came he stuck to the line about the position being up for grabs and hasn't yet stated who is number one is.

He's given both a chance and even if he fully intended Nielsen to be his first choice from day one he has effectively allowed the decision to be made by naturally by virtue of things like the third goal last night, without actually having to state a preferred first choice . He can simply say he is going by current form - leaving little room for argument.

• Like 2

All in all a decent work out. After being 2-0 down early doors I feared an onslaught, so 4-2 was almost respectable.

Newcastle were for the most part streets ahead in terms of fitness, skill and strength. Hardly surprising given they are paid 10 times what our players are on.

A few too many mistakes and Hutch and Hollis were responsible for the 1st 3 goals. Basic errors passing to the opposition just outside our own box. That will be punished against EPL team and was.

The squad on paper is very thin again. I count 14 with 1st team experience inc the summer signings. McManus and Faddy make it 16. But god forbid we get any injuries.

Thought Hammell was the bext performer tonight in claret and amber. 2nd half we played better and Faddy and ZFA made a difference. Had to laught at the comment earlier in this thread. ZFA put in 2-3 crosses and they were all excellent. He could be pushing for a 1st team slot. Hard to judge lawson. Vigurs had an OK game. Great goal and some terrific skill, but again he was careless in possession and gave the ball away cheaply.

When all is said and done it was pre-season and the players are still gelling. I think our 1st 11 will be fairly strong.

Good entertainment, no bad crowd and decent away support.

Very good assessment and I would agree with the majority of that.

That song the well boys do that sounds like some sort of jungle rain dance is absolutely cringeworthy. I know a lot of them are under 18 but that song is something I'd expect from primary school weans

oooh ahh oooh ahh oooh ahhh oooooooooooowwwwoooooooooooooo

Terrible :lol:

Had a wee look at the Newcastle site to see the reaction on last night. Talk of a "top drawer" display by Pardew and "no disrespect to Motherwell but we made them look ordinary at times".

Well for a friendly it was one of the most professional displays I've seen and to say our defence looked pretty ordinary at times was generous.

That song the well boys do that sounds like some sort of jungle rain dance is absolutely cringeworthy. I know a lot of them are under 18 but that song is something I'd expect from primary school weans

oooh ahh oooh ahh oooh ahhh oooooooooooowwwwoooooooooooooo

Terrible :lol:

I thought it looked great fun and it builds an atmosphere... Youre probably too old and jealous you cant join in.If the whole stand was doing it I think it would create a crackin atmosphere!!

On the park though we drew the second half 1-1 and went ahead early on with a stronger set up. I look at that result rather than the suicidal 3-1 first half!!

Nielsen, Stewart, Kerr, McManus, Hutchinson, ZFA, Ferguson, Carswell, Lawson, Vigurs, McCafferty, McCall, Sutton, Anier, Shirkie

Are going to Morcambe on Sarturday.

Hollis, Currie, Hammell, Kellock, Murray, Cummins, Ramsden, Higgins, Thomas, Moore, Johnstone, Lasley, Erwin, McHugh, McFadden

Are going to Cowden.

According to the club twitter. McCall trying to get as many of the 1st team as possible 90 mins.

Nielsen, Stewart, Kerr, McManus, Hutchinson, ZFA, Ferguson, Carswell, Lawson, Vigurs, McCafferty, McCall, Sutton, Anier, Shirkie

Are going to Morcambe on Sarturday.

Hollis, Currie, Hammell, Kellock, Murray, Cummins, Ramsden, Higgins, Thomas, Moore, Johnstone, Lasley, Erwin, McHugh, McFadden

Are going to Cowden.

According to the club twitter. McCall trying to get as many of the 1st team as possible 90 mins.

FFS.