Pre-Season 2013/14 Thread

Toxteth O'Grady

Agree but im asking based on tonights performance. Im guessing you are in the same position as me i.e not there.

Not sure you can take much out a game where Lasley played left wing and Stevie Hammell was centre half!

We were pretty poor in the first half but improved in the second half.

Our two best players came on at half time, Ramsden and ZFA both did very well.

The Estonian trialist did OK, perhaps he should have scored as he had three decent chances but he was unlucky with one of them.

Agree but im asking based on tonights performance. Im guessing you are in the same position as me i.e not there.

but you wanted them judged against last season team, who were pish in the pre-season games, and pretty rank in the early home games

so weeyins reply stands

and as for wanting Hollis judged on 45 minutes, you know fine well you're inviting all the bottom feeders to wet their pants in reply

I don't even want Hollis as a backup, 2nd and 3rd Newcastle goals were absolute howlers on his part. Lawson looked tidy in the 1st half, along with Vigurs. Great left foot finish from him for the goal. Carswell was solid and Zaine gave the team some much needed pace when he came on for the 2nd 45. Our right hand side might be honkin' next year providing we don't sign a right winger and continue to play Ramsden or Kerr at right back.

The lack of width and pace was very apparent. Hope McCall can bring something in before Europe. Hard to judge the strike force without sutton. Angol looked good when he came on and certainly added to the attack, although like humph before him, his crossing needs some work. We played too many at the back in the first half which let the midfielders think they didn't have to track back. Hollis is a bomb scare, not a lot to go on with Gunner yet.

I'm not judging Hollis on 45 mins tonight, but on every game I have seen him in a Well jersey and I'm sorry but I just dont think hes very good.

Think Kerr did ok when he came on at right wing back.

Defo looks like we are gearing up for a 3-5-2 next year with Vigurs playing in the hole behind a front two. Lawson, Lasley playing behind him.

Was impressed by Vigurs tonight looks very tidy on the ball, good passer and will score a few.

Throw in McManus, Faddy from the start and Sutton up top we will be a decent side next year.

Defo looks like we are gearing up for a 3-5-2 next year with Vigurs playing in the hole behind a front two. Lawson, Lasley playing behind him.

McCall said during one of his MFCTV interviews that he was experimenting with 3 at the back for our Euro ties, but I don't know if he was looking to set up that way in the league.

Good entertaining game, can't really take too much out of it in regards to our formation or set-up when the Euro games get going. ZFA changed the game when he came on, did very well to get us up the park quickly and provided a few decent crosses. Thought A Trialist looked decent, needs a new set of boots though was slipping all over the place. Had a few good wee flicks and touches that weren't read by the other attacker but I can imagine with a few games that would come with any strike partner. Looked strong and was forever hassling defenders, unlucky not to score too. Was 1 on 1 but wasn't able to get the ball out from under his feet, unlucky. If we're able to get him on that season long loan I reckon he'd be worth a punt.

Getting taught a lesson off an EPL side will be a good learning curve for us. The nearest we get to playing a side of that quality is Celtic, and it’s worth remembering Newcastle only finished 16th last season. They probably won't finish much higher this season, however at that level the gulf in class is too great for us to compete. In saying that, maybe with our first 11 out we would have giving them a tougher match.

All in all a decent work out. After being 2-0 down early doors I feared an onslaught, so 4-2 was almost respectable.

Newcastle were for the most part streets ahead in terms of fitness, skill and strength. Hardly surprising given they are paid 10 times what our players are on.

A few too many mistakes and Hutch and Hollis were responsible for the 1st 3 goals. Basic errors passing to the opposition just outside our own box. That will be punished against EPL team and was.

The squad on paper is very thin again. I count 14 with 1st team experience inc the summer signings. McManus and Faddy make it 16. But god forbid we get any injuries.

Thought Hammell was the bext performer tonight in claret and amber. 2nd half we played better and Faddy and ZFA made a difference. Had to laught at the comment earlier in this thread. ZFA put in 2-3 crosses and they were all excellent. He could be pushing for a 1st team slot. Hard to judge lawson. Vigurs had an OK game. Great goal and some terrific skill, but again he was careless in possession and gave the ball away cheaply.

When all is said and done it was pre-season and the players are still gelling. I think our 1st 11 will be fairly strong.

Good entertainment, no bad crowd and decent away support.

A few too many mistakes and Hutch and Hollis were responsible for the 1st 3 goals. Basic errors passing to the opposition just outside our own box. That will be punished against EPL team and was.

good summary of the game but i thought lawson let his man run off him for their second goal.

haven't seen it on tv though.