Pre-Season 2013/14 Thread

Toxteth O'Grady

Cheers, for the clarification, its the fans fault that there is little value left in Scottish football :thumbup:

That's not what I'm suggesting. There was a financial price to that decision and it trickles down to every decision the club makes, including the price of a midweek friendly. It's just a bit odd that you seem surprised.

The club will have projected probable attendances if the price was a tenner, £15 or £20 and attempted to strike a balance between maximising income and keeping fans happy. The prices will only go down when we stop turning up so there's no point in moaning about it while fishing cash out of your pocket and handing it over. And every club in the land knows that football is a unique business in that the vast majority of us will pay whatever they choose to charge, and if a few stay away the club will squeeze the rest of us a little bit harder to compensate.

PS- apply the above paragraph to any club pricing tickets for any match. It's far from unique to us or next months friendly.

• Like 2

£15 for relatively big name opposition is fine. £5 for kids is pretty decent also. No other concessions seems odd and a little disappointing.

Provided Newcastle come with more or less a full squad it is fairly reasonable.

£10 would be better but I daresay pricing it like that wouldn't suddenly see us get thousands more through the gate.

One of the best teams in my lifetime we had last season and crowds just wouldn't come. To costly in economically tough times perhaps.

But we couldn't get 10,000 to a CL qualifier, scraped 6,000 for Europa qualifer.

Outside of Celtic games we got more than 5000 on 4 occasions.

So if Newcastle fans are renowned for travelling in numbers it no wonder we're looking to exploit it and £15 still likely to be the cheapest entry of the year barring a special offer.

Inflation is a fact of life, everything gets more expensive. Really pish part is most of us right now aren't getting paid any more and this is an issue that goes well outside the realm of football.

Why are we so shit at going to games every week?? I know countless 'Well fans who go to the pub to watch the results as theyd rather spend £20+ on a few beers and a coupon than a footy match.

If all games were a tenner, ala Bundesliga and Eredivisie then we would hit 7k+ easy.

I'm not so sure?

I've often said that a consistent low price may increase attendances, if nothing else, it might persuade away fans who go to a handful of games to choose fir park as one (or even 2) of those games. That seems a much neglected market that could be exploited??

The majority of Motherwell fans I know go to the games, I'm not sure that price is the main factor for those that dont anymore?

We've proved seceral times, you literally can't give tickets away!

If all games were a tenner, ala Bundesliga and Eredivisie then we would hit 7k+ easy.

Even if this statement is true (I highly doubt it myself). It would still mean the club making significantly less from gate receipts.

Why are we so shit at going to games every week?? I know countless 'Well fans who go to the pub to watch the results as theyd rather spend £20+ on a few beers and a coupon than a footy match.

im glad you aint running the club

we'd be dead by the end of the season

• Like 2

If you get 7000 in for a tenner a ticket people are more inclined to purchase from the kiosks, buy programmes etc... Ive been to see Ajax for €8 in a league match and €16 for a European tie...

Ok roly & weesacs :huh:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/apr/11/bundesliga-premier-league

"Borussia Dortmund has the biggest stand in the world. The Yellow Wall holds 26,000, and the average ticket price is €15 (£13) because they know how valuable such a fan culture and supporter base is."

• Like 1

"Borussia Dortmund has the biggest stand in the world. The Yellow Wall holds 26,000, and the average ticket price is €15 (£13) because they know how valuable such a fan culture and supporter base is."

They can afford to charge those prices (and hold that lofty principle) thanks to the 25 million or so Euros they pulled in from TV. Having a population of close to 600,000 probably helps their attendances too.

Ive been to see Ajax for €8 in a league match and €16 for a European tie...

Did you spend a tenner at the pie stall though?

Ok roly & weesacs :huh:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/apr/11/bundesliga-premier-league

I've already had a bit of a rant on here about folk comparing the Scottish game to what goes on in Germany. Its fucking ludicrous.

Exactly what does the size of Borrusia Dortmunds stand and how much they charge their fans to enter it have to do with Motherwells fanbase?

Hartlepool was another great trip,

My memories from this, I think, are the strange pies they sold getting launched onto the pitch, one of our players getting hacked and the polis, originally from Glasgow, defusing the situation by telling us dirty jokes.

Magic day out. :thumbup:

Jeesus man!! We are not going to be getting 60,000+ for many reasons, A) we don't have that many fans B) Our stadium holds just over 13,000...

So what youre all saying is that if Subway sells a foot long baguette for £5 then wee tiny Upper Crust should sell their baguettes at £10 cos they sell less?? BULL SHIT!! Just because were smaller it doesn't mean we charge more... If youre all happy sitting around in an empty stadium spending far too much money to watch a dying drivvle game then that's whats wrong with Scottish football...

We can be a scaled down version of more economical football associations and strive to be better and get more people involved. In 20 years our game has died and attendances have halved. Anything you lot have to say is negative, so please refrain from thinking youre right. Our game is fucked, nobody can afford it and nobodys happy, we all moan. Its gash.

• Like 1

So what youre all saying is that if Subway sells a foot long baguette for £5 then wee tiny Upper Crust should sell their baguettes at £10 cos they sell less?? BULL SHIT!! Just because were smaller it doesn't mean we charge more....

thats probably the worst analogy i have ever read!

you seem to miss the point that German teams get a shitload of money from TV and huge sponsorship deals, therefore allowing them to charge a lot less for entry. Bayern Munich's Uli Hoeness was quoted as saying " we could charge £300 for a season ticket and make an extra £2 million, but whats £2 million to us?" it is totally unrealistic to try and compare scottish finances to German finances, yet the delusional amongst us continue to do so.....

• Like 2

I'd hazard a guess that fans don't turn up because;

1) It's too expensive in relation to the product and in comparison to other weekend pastimes / family activities.

2) Before a ball is even kicked in anger, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that we or any other team out with Celtic can win the SPL rendering the league pointless.

3) Until recently, zero atmosphere.

4) No beer or standing available.

Etc.

• Like 5

thats probably the worst analogy i have ever read!

you seem to miss the point that German teams get a shitload of money from TV and huge sponsorship deals, therefore allowing them to charge a lot less for entry. Bayern Munich's Uli Hoeness was quoted as saying " we could charge £300 for a season ticket and make an extra £2 million, but whats £2 million to us?" it is totally unrealistic to try and compare scottish finances to German finances, yet the delusional amongst us continue to do so.....

You are missing the point that they get a shit load of money for sponsorships because they encourage a large fan base. When was our finances compared to the German finances? I think the words "We can be a scaled down version of more economical football associations" was used. Do one!

Amen Andrew23. Spot on!

You are missing the point that they get a shit load of money for sponsorships because they encourage a large fan base. When was our finances compared to the German finances? I think the words "We can be a scaled down version of more economical football associations" was used. Do one!

A quick trawl of the internet stats shows that:

Dortmund's average attendance equates to approximately 7.2% of that city's population.

Motherwell's average attendance equates to almost 10% of Motherwell's population.

So maybe we are a scaled down version already?

Where do the people who don't support their local club come into that 10%? You know the people from Bellshill, Hamilton, Wishaw, Shotts a.n.other place figure.

Chatting about attendances as a percentage :doh:

I didn't say it was a perfect model - it was a quick calculation while I was drinking my coffee.

The original poster was, however, talking about how how we could operate a 'scaled down' version of the German model and I think my back of a fag packet figures are a reasonable first order model to show that our relative attendances aren't that much different.

Also, to address your point, the model assumes that the % of people in Germany who don't support their local club is similar to the % of people in Scotland who don't support their local club.

The bottom line, which I mentioned in an earlier post, is that if we got 25 million Euros every year from telly we could afford to implement some of the pricing and other incentives Dortmund offers.

Amen Andrew23. Spot on!

We don't have a large fanbase to encourage.