Hibernian V Motherwell 4/8/13

Bop

Wouldn't say he's not fit, he just doesn't look match sharp yet, Kuban and more so Hibs had 2 or 3 players round him nearly every time he got the ball which would make it difficult for anybody.Also think we tried to play through him too much today, it was like give the ball to Faddy even if he's in his own half or has players round him.

As for the game we lacked a cutting edge but Hibs did sit back a lot for the home team and we still had 2 or 3 good chances.Our main problem is the lack of width which is why Angol could be so important if we don't bring anybody else in but we looked decent on the ball and pretty solid at the back.I know it's only 2 games but McManus looks like he could be our best defender for some time.

A good 3 pts on the board but by fuck was i bored watching that - total and utter pish.

Sutton is brutal

Yeah - agree with this. Got up at 3am to watch it, and it was hard enough staying awake at that time, never mind the fitba trying to put me back to sleep.

Stayed awake tho, and delighted with the 3 points and the goal.

Defense looked solid, midfield hasnt found its correct shape yet, and maybe having Arnier upfront with Sutts might help him a bit more.

I think the Well Bois were on their feet more than Sutton was today

Overall I'd say we have a tidy little side, solid defense and decent midfield. Should be able to control the ball much as we did today against the majority of teams. Problem is, I don't see where the goals are going to come from. Sutton looks off pace, hopefully he'll warm to the task. And James just tries to do too much on his own - granted he doesn't have much help up front. Packing in the center of defense is a great tactic against us until we can figure out how to space the field better. But it is early days, so I'm happy with the win. Experiment a bit in Russia and get back to business against Aberdeen.

Safe to say football wasn't the winner yesterday but at least we were.

We started slowly but once we settled into the game we largely controlled it but had a lack of cutting edge and any real verve out wide. Full backs did best to provide a bit of support there but was no real danger coming from there other than occasionally leave space for Hibs to counter which fortunately they never really used to advantage.

McFadden wasn't having best of games but generally he was getting left up against 2 or 3 Hibs players and getting huge amount of support. Sure he did have some poor decisions but hopefully as the team gels and he gets match fit we'll see better link up play.

Thought Sutton did ok, he also needs games to settle back into the team proper but if I was McHugh I'd be pretty down about a missed opportunity to lay down a marker. Hard to see in first half what sort of contribution he made from afar but it didn't look like much and nothing to telling in the second half before he was hooked. Also needs a run of games but with Anier coming on and scoring and putting himself about I imagine he's pushed himself ahead in the pecking order.

Not changed my expectations for the season, think we'll do alright but it won't be as good to watch

Not overly concerned about Sutton just yet.

As has been said earlier in the thread, the two half decent chances he's had he hit the woodwork on Thursday and forced a decent save from Williams yesterday. He always was a streaky kind of player where he could a few without scoring and then hit a purple patch and score something like half-a-dozen in a month.

And not that you are comparing like-for-like with Higgy but in each of his two seasons it was something like the 5th or 6th competitive games of the season before he got off the mark.

was it not central coast mariners he played for?

No way did Newcastle have that dumpling Heskey and Sutton in the same team!!

Aye yer right my bad :doh: it was in Newcastle V Central Coast Mariners game i saw him play on the park....

But it's early days so hopefully he will settle back into the side.

Where are you now?

Just watched the highlights on SPFL Youtube and the phrase "....not having the pace to keep up with John Sutton...." is one that will stick in the memory for a very long time. Good finish by Anier too, hopefully he'll get 15-20 this season as well as Sutton.

It might just be me but I'm not overly concerned about Sutton just yet. For Sutton's game to work in our favour at all we definitely need to deploy someone with a bit of pace to make the most of his flick ons. I thought he done pretty well against Kuban considering he had almost nobody running off him.

Lawson looks a good capture and I think with a few more games he could be our man to sit just in front of the back 4. Looks like he has the ability to pick out long passes, something we haven't had in a good while. McManus looks like he will turn out to be an excellent signing for us, it's refreshing to see a tall centre back in a Motherwell jersey winning nearly every header ... this could possibly be the most solid back 4 we've had for a while. As for Vigurs, he clearly is a good footballer but just looks a touch complacent at the moment. Anier looks sharp.

McFadden is just one of these players that when it works, it's magical, but when it doesn't, it's extremely frustrating. He is never a winger, doesn't have the pace to get past people when running from a distance. I reckon tucked in behind the striker/strikers would work best for him. With a few more full games under his belt, ZFA could prove extremely useful for us at left mid, he is only 20 & is used to playing as a left back.

Overall, 2nd or 3rd place willbe a bigger ask this year but we finish in the top 6 nae bother. As for Hibs, they were absolutely rotten, I'm happy we didn't appoint Pat Fenlon when he was rumoured to be interested in the post. Truly diabolical signings.

• Like 3

It might just be me but I'm not overly concerned about Sutton just yet.........................

Likewise. Sutton will score, and make goals for us, of that I have no doubt. However, as with Higdon, we will need to play to his strengths and I'm afraid leaving him up front on his own is not the way to goals and victories.

We've lost half of, and had to replace, last season's successful team. We won our first game of the season, away to a team with a far larger support and potential than ours. While not the greatest of matches, thats a damn good start in my book.

• Like 1

Likewise. Sutton will score, and make goals for us, of that I have no doubt. However, as with Higdon, we will need to play to his strengths and I'm afraid leaving him up front on his own is not the way to goals and victories.

Yup. He's proved he knows his way to goal often enough before now, and McCall should hopefully remember how to get the best out of him. He's bound to be a wee bit rusty after not getting much of a chance at Hearts, and it'll take a while for the whole team to gel this season, not just him.