Hibernian V Motherwell 4/8/13

Bop

We're a new team still finding it's feet. It'll take time for it to click as McCall still hasn't found the right system yet.

However, we have a very good base to build on. The back five strolled it and looked very solid, McManus will be/is a great signing for us. Hopefully the goals and good attacking play will come but right now we're solid if not spectacular.

Three points and a clean sheet, think we would have all settled for that prior to kick off.

Also well done Henri, good composure and that goal will do his confidence the world of good.

• Like 2

We're a new team still finding it's feet. It'll take time for it to click as McCall still hasn't found the right system yet.

However, we have a very good base to build on. The back five strolled it and looked very solid, McManus will be/is a great signing for us. Hopefully the goals and good attacking play will come but right now we're solid if not spectacular.

Three points and a clean sheet, think we would have all settled for that prior to kick off.

Also well done Henri, good composure and that goal will do his confidence the world of good.

Could not have put it better myself...

At times last season we seemed very easy to breach as a defence. This year already we look more solid with Lawson and McManus added. I though both Hutch and McManus were immense. McManus looks a class apart and deservedly got MOTM.

The issue is we have no outlet. Both Ramsden and Hammell get the ball and they have to pass square all the time. That changed when ZFA came on.

Thought Sutton, McHugh, Faddy and Vigurs struggled a bit today. Vigurs is clearly a talented footballer, but he needlessley gave the ball away a few times and stronger more potent teams will punish us.

Still early days and pleased for Anier getting off the mark. 3 points on the opening game of the season - does not happen that often - so going to enjoy it.

The Well Bois were top drawer again and the celebrations at the goal were hugely enjoyable for all at the game

:cheers::drinks::cheers::drinks::yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Excellent victory today. A lot of side ways football from us today. Which I suppose is ok if you can retain possession and we did in the main. Vguirs and Lawson just need to sharpen there games up a bit, both got caught in possession a little too often for my liking. What a difference when anier and ZFA came on, offered that out ball that was missing for most of the game.

Lasley again just worked and worked and Hollis did his confidence no harm with a great save although very central.

Anier was fantastic when he came on. Started to drag the hibs defence all over the place and would defo start with him against FC Kuban and Aberdeen.

How many times have you seen a game like that pan out at Fir Park and we lose 1-0 with a late goal? Rank rotten games happen in every campaign and when they do the trick is to make sure you do nothing silly and they end the game on 0, you take your point and move on. As a bonus we got the goal and the other two points. Not a tough game to analyse, nothing happened for 70 minutes apart from their early run of corners. However, if we had lost a goal due to one HEADER beating the whole defence I think I would have torn out every remaining hair on my head. Good finish by Anier but their defending would not be replicated in a school playground.

• Like 1

Anier looked bright and put in all he could to impress. Really pleased to see him keep his composure for an excellent finish and get us off to a great start.

John Sutton looks half the player that left us first time round. He looks increasingly immobile, mistimes his jump every time and generally looks confused on the ball. Here's hoping with some game time he'll improve, if not we're in for some frustrating viewing.

• Like 1

Yes i've been to umpteen crap 1-0 defeats at the Ark a relegated Falkirk about 3 years ago and a few Aberdeen and Dundee Utd 1-0's that had me :wallbash: . So WINNING a crap game 1-0 IS FAB. I agree that several of our players like Lawson.Vigours.McHugh and even Faddy [cue abuse from the happy clappers} need to work on their match sharpness.

I'm absolutely delighted with that victory today but at the same time I'm definitely not getting carried away as Hibs were awful! Really pleased Anier came on and took his chance at goal! Sutton was terrible again and it worries me that he can't take the ball to feet and we are always looking for the high ball to him in the box when he can't even win a header. Very pleased with our defenders this season and it is the best back-line we have had in along time. Hollis does give me the fear though which hopefully is just a confidence issue as McCall must see something in him at training. Definitely need pace and width but doubt we can afford to bring that to the team. One more player would be nice though!

Think Sutton is getting a lot of unfair criticism.

Middle to front we've been poor in all the matches and any lone striker is going to struggle.

He's had two chances and hit the post against Kuban and only a good save by Williams stopped him today but we have to support him and create chances.

McFadden is probably the player we are looking at to unlock defenses and so far he's looked miles off the pace and isn't even carrying himself well - he looks agitated and angry.

• Like 1

I always feel a good start to the season can be the springboard to better things so we can't complain about how the day ended really. Especially with such a changed team.

Lots of decent, albeit sideways, passing in places but our inability to run into the channels and constant lack of an outball was very frustrating. In short we were far too pedestrian though out. I know we might lack pace and width but the forwards need to show better movement in order to give the full backs options, otherwise they are just going to have to move the ball sideways, or even backwards, as there is literally no one to aim for going forward!

The game really changed when we brought Anier (although I'm still not sold on him and he reminds me of yon Kye Nyssonen!) and Angol on as they were able to provide a bit of running.

He's my favourite all time player, but I thought Faddy was murder today. I don't get where McCall is coming from when he says it will be a few more games till we see the best of him. He's had a full pre-season and even looked phenomenal in many of the 13 games he played last season. I really was expecting him to hit the ground running. It could be argued he has 3 men on him as soon as he gets the ball, and that he's not being played in a position that doesn't favour him but still....

I'd like to think we can make out set pieces count this season as we pose considerable threat in the air.

I thought Sutton and McHugh were really poor. .

Great start to the season.

It could be argued he has 3 men on him as soon as he gets the ball, and that he's not being played in a position that doesn't favour him but still....

The reason he's been poor is because when he has 3 men on him he needs to realise that's left 2 team-mates open, and find them with the ball...rather than trying to beat all 3. He's playing like a 19 year-old wonderkid who has all the talent in the world but lacks the maturity to make the right choices.

• Like 5

Similar type of game and performance as the first game of last season at Ross County only this time we come away with 3 points. That'll do for me.

It will take time for this new team to gel so a bit of patience is called for and i have every confidence it will happen.

Methinks there will be plenty more games like this through the season as teams set out more defensive formations, hope I'm wrong though.

Faddy goes for the more difficult route everytime and unfortunately its not paying off at all just now and his stubborness to keep trying til it comes off may cost us a goal unless he changes a couple of things about his game at the moment. Delighted with 3 points and a late winner.

I think sometimes people overlook the fact he is just 1 man and opposition teams recognise the threat and defend against him accordingly.

So you honestly believe he isnt putting a foot wrong right now (very minor albeit) and that its just great defending thats stopping him in his tracks?

Think its midnight upload for the Sunday games.

Cheers, just watched it there.

McManus was hardly in it, and McFadden squared a decent ball for McHugh, don't know what you lot are all talking about!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Al is suggesting that McFadden's reputation earned through his ability means opposition tactics will be to tighten/double up on him opposed to anyone else due to his perceived ability to change games. Consequently this gives the rest of our players more freedom and the chance of losing their markers/covering players. Not everything in football is as binary as shite/good.

Edited by Goggles & Flippers