Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

ZFA needs to be taught or told by Hammell when to go beyond the full back, 1st half the 1-2 and ZFA ending up with his back to the defender was frustrating to watch.

That team were disciplined and worked their counter better than us

It's not been a problem in previous games so I'm guessing in the first half he was following Mccall's instructions not to leave Hammell exposed. Once we were chasing the game he was giving more freedom and it clearly made a difference to how he was playing.

I thought we actually competed well. The Russians were just too good. Hammells pass that cost the 2nd goal was criminal. Killed the tie stone dead. Tackle on Faddy was disgraceful, I'm surprised he got up from that. Was very impressed with Vigurs, Lawson and McManus. ZFA was good and was getting fouled all the time. Badly need an out ball down both flanks but we won't have to play against players that good again this season (except in away leg obviously)

I thought they just counter-attacked from our corner! What did Hammell do? I must be the only one that didnt see it

Just gutted for all at the club. You could see the dissappointment from our chief exec to the bench to the fans. Fantastic seeing so many inside fir park again. Great atmosphere.

The team played well at times but you could see Kuban had that little bit extra composure on the ball. We tended to rush things. If we manage to score against them in Russia it will be a miracle. There keeper is huge.

One last thing. Never seen so many police horses at fir park before. What was that all about? Police Scotland try to get as much money out of scottish football as possible?

A pretty dispiriting evening in the end with more than a few echoes to recent European losses.

It was evident that we had set up to try to keep a clean sheet first and foremost and if we nicked something all the better. There were lots of times when it seemed a player who might ordinarily have attempted a creative pass squared it, or checked from making an attacking run.

Part by accident, part by design we got to half-time all square. I thought they looked decent enough with their number 99 Drogba wannabee in particular impressing but we had generally restricted them to long range efforts.

The second half however was a huge let down. You worried that the tie might already be over as soon as they got the first but we did stick at it, and again in keeping with past European games, shot ourselves in the foot by getting caught on the break just when we appeared to be getting a bit of momentum going.

Even at that stage Sutton hit the post, had he netted it might well have proved to be academic in the end anyway, but the result would seem to make progression nigh on impossible now.

There were some positives ofcourse. The atmosphere in the first half was great. I think it was 26 minutes in before the first brief gap in the singing. Great effort! On the park I liked the look of McManus. Vigurs continues to impress and I thought Lawson looked comfortable on the ball. Not good enough for this level perhaps I would hope that with that team we should certainly be looking at a top half finish in the league again this season.

Tactics were murder - appears we have learned nothing!!

Sutton up top alone does not work. No point in playing your best player out of position either. Lawson and Lasley are the same player and McCall will have to make his mind up who to play sooner rather than later. Desperately need a pacey right winger.

Hammells pass that cost the 2nd goal was criminal. Killed the tie stone dead.

He wasn't the only one. McManus had a shocking pass out of defence that nearly cost us and Hutchinson had a very slack back pass in the 2nd half.

Overall I thought we defended quite well except for a little spell after they scored the first goal but these sort of mistakes cost you against better quality sides.

So what's your solution? You're obviously upset or pished. John Sutton isn't garbage, things didn't come off for Faddy, but we kind of have to go with him unfit since he's still our best player by a mile. Humphrey and Ojamaa are gone, if ZFA had more encouragement to get beyond the full back he'd be as effective as Humphrey.

Sutton needs a partner, he wins the header, no ones near him. Think anier would do well paired with him to do his running.

Hollis - Good when called upon

Ramsden - decent

Hutchinson - Running into players and diving into stupid challenges. bad

McManus - good

Hammell - shite

Lawson - quality

Lasley - shite touch too slow

ZFA - decent second half

Vigurs - quality (MOTM)

McFadden - lots of effort, played out the game

Sutton - decent in the box, can't play alone

Kuban are a far superior team, we were never ever going to be in this game for long periods of time and their quality showed. Balde and Popov ripped the piss.

No idea why Hammell played that ball where he did given both Vigurs and McFadden were standing unmarked on the other side of the park both calling for it.

• Like 1

McCall set us out for us not to concede..........in the first half did Hollis make a save ? (Ok 99 hit the bar)........the first time they got in behind us (99) they scored..........we were having our best spell when Hammell played a shocking pass and killed the tie

Hollis made two excellent saves to keep us from going in to a Hibees spiral and big Sutton nearly gave us a lifeline in injury time with his header against the post

Overall they were better because they had better players than ours.......... :blush:

• Like 1

A few random observations...

I don't really get the Vigurs love in on that performance - I counted 5 times in the first half he either gave the ball away or took too long in the middle of the park and was dispossessed. He got better in the 2nd half. I think he could well be a good player but his best play seemed to be when Faddy was around. I reckon to get the best of both we would want to play both fairly narrow. Which leads me onto...

ZFA - he is still pretty raw and inconsistent for me - I too was frustrated with his unwillingness to play the ball to Hammell and then make the move - he receives the ball, plays it back to Hammell and then doesn't move. Not sure if this was a tactical thing from McCall in telling him not to stretch the left side or not, but very frustrating.

Hutchinson, as much as I rate him, has a rashness that has no sign of disappearing

Sutton needs players closer to him than they were tonight. He needs an Ojamaa type player buzzing around him to take the knockdowns. Is McHugh this person? He needs a role soon enough.

Hollis seems to me like a confidence player. He did fine today, and a run as first choice would perhaps show us either way if he has what he takes. The fact the knives are out for him after his experience as a Well keeper so far, playing the odd game here and there, is ridiculous.

Popov is a moron - why would you run straight over to the bois and slide along on your knees, rather than go and celebrate with the 80 fans who must have paid a fortune to be there

Balde (no 99) was an excellent player and as good a player as I have seen in a competitive game against Motherwell, I looked him up and he has played for Athletico Madrid in the same team as Sergio Aguero, so he has pedigree.

And those Kuba fans, well done in supporting the team and making that trip. Although I could not hear much they seemed to be enjoying it.

Pity that our first really competitive game of the season is in Europe against a team with vastly superior resources and it showed. It was virtually deja vu for our last few games in Europe. Hard to take but not exactly unexpected.

Seeing all the new guys playing tonight did give me some real optimism for the coming season though. Thought that we looked like a really decent SPFL Premiership unit.

Met some of the Kuban boys in Daniels before the game, they were a cracking bunch, seemed to have bought all of the club shop too. Apparently it only cost them $200 to get here for their visa and things as the club put on the transport or something? Either way, fair play to them.

Europe comes just too early for us. They were sharper as expected as they are already playing competitive games. At the end of last season we were playing so well we would have fancied our chances against Pana or Levante but when we played them it was too early in the season. This year will be the same at the end of the year we will be saying why can't the Euro games be now? Still can't believe people thought we would hump them :doh: they obviously have short memories from our recent Euro adventures.

I agree with send the reserves over there we have an important league game on the Sunday and can't risk injury/fatigue for a meaningless game.

Panathinikos never played their first league match till the 25th August ,our games against them were 31st July/8th August by the second leg we had played our first Spl game

Levante never played their first league match till 19th August..........by that time we had played Pana home n away and 3 league games........again like tonight/last season in Europe we were beaten by teams that had better players than us...simples

Popov is a moron - why would you run straight over to the bois and slide along on your knees, rather than go and celebrate with the 80 fans who must have paid a fortune to be there

I agree with the majority of your post, but needed to echo this bit. I was fucking furious with his behaviour, and not because it was an effort to wind up Well fans. Sod that, fair enough. But to me it showed a shocking lack of respect toward the fans who made the effort to travel.

Worst Euro team I've seen at FP - one excellent player, but like all Euro teams they get a sniff and its in the pokey. New side or not, can't believe we lost to that drivvel tonight. Hibs in disguise :doh:

Last 5 Euro ties ...... Goals for 0, Goals against 10 ..... says it all.

Fucken Murder

:doh: