Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

They are better than us.

That is why we made mistakes and that is why they scored the goals that will eliminate us.

We can talk all night about ifs and buts, however, this is the harsh reality of European football.

That said, I saw enough tonight to suggest we will do just fine in the SPFL.

ZFA needs to be taught or told by Hammell when to go beyond the full back, 1st half the 1-2 and ZFA ending up with his back to the defender was frustrating to watch.

Seemed fairly clear ZFA had been told not to get behind full back at all in first half, he was turning back to receive passes rather than running on to them at every opportunity. Good job too, meant he was able to get back and make that cracking tackle in the box.

You not seen many europe games then ? We failed to put them under any concerted pressure, gave them too much time with the ball in midfield and expected too much from Sutton up front on his own. As for the goals ? Wheres Cosgrove when you need him to articulate exactly how you feel !!!

I've been at every home game since Nancy and imo they're better going forward than any of them, they don't look that good at the back but it's hard to put better teams under pressure.Wouldn't say we played well but we'll play worse than that and win games, it wasn't a shocker it was just an average performance against a good attacking team.

Never expected anything from the game today and apart from a decent wee spell in the second half they were the better team. They were quicker than us. Very well organised and very quick to get back into position after losing the ball. Something that we will need to work on this season.

But on take positive note I saw a motherwell team today that will be totally fine in the SPL and confident we can mount another challenge for second and possibly make it more of a fight for celtic.

Also I felt McManus was excellent and is something we missed last season.

Also we need to get off Hollis's back he played well today and I thought his kicking was decent. Deserves a chance at least.

Seemed fairly clear ZFA had been told not to get behind full back at all in first half, he was turning back to receive passes rather than running on to them at every opportunity. Good job too, meant he was able to get back and make that cracking tackle in the box.

You know this for fact? fair enough

There were occasions, not every time but occasions where if he'd be cute with the 1-2 he'd have been in behind the defender

Fully agree with the McManus chat, he was solid as a rock tonight! Their 99 was a big dude, and McManus beat him 9 times outta 10 in the air. Very composed on the ball as well, him and Hutchy will be some partnership this year.

In terms of the game itself, I thought our 3 in the middle were good individually. Someone mentioned it before, they were really hard to break down tonight, they were really tight at times, and we only got in behind once or twice the whole game. Vigurs and Faddy looked like the only two capable of creating something. I really like Sutton and hope he goes on to have a great season, but him up top on his own was just awful to watch at times. I genuinely think if we had Higgy & Ojamaa up front tonight we would've won.

The boy that scored their first was an absolute tosser. Good result for St Johnstone too.

You know this for fact? fair enough

There were occasions, not every time but occasions where if he'd be cute with the 1-2 he'd have been in behind the defender

absolutely correct, there were times where there was acres of space in behind. Its the kind of thing the likes of Humphrey and Jim o Brien did well. I would like to see Zaine play more of a role this season though, he has promise.

I would say we are a pacey front or wide player away from being a.very good SPL side. although Sutton is unlikely to hit as many as Higdon last year, I reckon the goals will be shared around a.bit.

Disappointing, on the whole.

Balde was the best player on the pitch by miles.

We were alright, Hollis scares the pish out of me, but in the end, was entirely helpless with both goals.

Only real point about us was the frustration at McFadden's desire to win the game on his own, but its one of those things, if it comes off, he's a superstar, if he doesn't, its a frustrating evening. We'll do fine in the league. Would've been nice if Sutton had tucked that away at the end. How we can go from free-scoring in Scotland to barren in Europe every year is a bit annoying.

New plan for the season.

1) Win the League Cup

2) Finish the league one spot out of the European places

That way we can celebrate a good year without worrying about all this malarkey. It's got to the stage where I have to treat these games the way I used to treat the Rangers games otherwise I'd go (more) mental.

I'm pretty upset with the basic errors that cost us.

Although I did like ZFA tonight, I felt that we were playing the Murphy role with him. He's not the creative sort and it showed. Hammell was murder, not something I thought I'd ever say. Maybe I'm being reflective at the grand age of thirty five, but maybe a season too far? Thought Keith was exposed at times too.

In the end it wasn't a kind draw to us. They are a wealthy club with good players and looked incredibly fit.

I'm just really upset that when the second goal went in the tie was effectively over.

Panathinikos never played their first league match till the 25th August ,our games against them were 31st July/8th August by the second leg we had played our first Spl game

Levante never played their first league match till 19th August..........by that time we had played Pana home n away and 3 league games........again like tonight/last season in Europe we were beaten by teams that had better players than us...simples

Not denying they are better teams than us all im saying is if these games had been later in the season we would give a better account of ourselves. When you are playing teams like this in your first competitive game of the season then you will always be up against it. I think as it is our best hope in Europe is to get drawn against a glamour team so at least we get some money as getting papped out by nobodies doesn't do us any good at all. Or do a St Johnstone & beat a pishy seed, get seeded for the next round so you get to the play offs then get a glamour team in the play off & rake in even more cash.

Fuck right off. Hollis had a good game. How the fuck can he sound like a bombscare. We played ok and lost a stupid fuckin goal due to Hammel. No blame on Hollis. Clueless c**t.

Take it easy sweetheart. On the radio,a couple times they mentioned him being dodgy then Kuban had a chance where he came for a cross and missed completely. THATS why I said he sounded like a bombscare,fuck all to do with the goals.

New plan for the season.

1) Win the League Cup

2) Finish the league one spot out of the European places

That way we can celebrate a good year without worrying about all this malarkey. It's got to the stage where I have to treat these games the way I used to treat the Rangers games otherwise I'd go (more) mental.

Not often I agree with you. This Europe carry on is just nuisance now.

Same old story for Motherwell in Europe........whether Kuban were playing within themselves I couldnt be sure but I thought we dominated the match in terms of possession without having the ability to break down their very impressive defence.

A few wee points;

1) Stevie Hammell should get an absolute doing for the 2nd goal, what the fuck he was playing at I will never know - in one split secong he killed the tie stone dead

2) I am going to struggle to watch John Sutton all season, never liked him 1st time around and if anything he has got slower since then. Granted he never had much in the way of support and some of the hopeful balls up were dificult for him to deal with

3) I am far from convinced about ZFA's merits for inclusion in the team, particularly in that winger role he played last night - a headless chicken at times

4) Faddy shouldnt be stuck out on the right wing - our most talented player is wasted out there. Faddy though cut a very frustrated figure last night, not a lot came off for him and on too many occassions gave the ball away cheaply, which is another reason I'd prefer him up behind the striker rather than out on the wing and potentially leaving a full-back stranded.

5) Thought McManus and Hutch looked solid in general, couple of poor passes out of defence but when it comes to league games I'd expect them to stroll through

6) Lawson hardly gave the ball away all night, which is more than can be said for Vigurs who seemed to be over-playing it at times. That said, I like the look of both of the Ross County lads

7) Hollis - how anyone can be critical of the guy after last night is beyond me, yes he flapped at one cross (Randolph was prone to do that on occasion as well) but other than that he never put a foot wrong - I'd still prefer a more physical presence in goal right enough

8 - The lack of options on the bench is a real worry, to the point that we bring Fraser Kerr onto be our right-midfielder

9) The fact that Djibril Cisse is on their bench highlights the gulf in class, budgets etc

With the way things are going, I'd be looking for McCall to change things for the league games, we dont have a single winger in the squad, so I'd be tempted to go 3 at the back

Ramsden Hutch McManus

Kerr Hammell

Lawson Lasley

Vigurs

Faddy Sutton (because there is no one else)

• Like 1

Tend not to come on here very often as it reminds me how many clueless c***s we have in our fan base. Reading this thread just confirms this. Some folk need to get a grip. We played decent enough last night and lost a stupid 2nd goal. Totally agree with Gazzy B about Hollis. He is not my favourite but folk seem to be willing him to make a c**t of it.

• Like 3

I am beginning to get pissed off with all this European nonsense now, every season for the last few years the team plays well, gets results and secures European qualification and we all look forward to the draw. Then the usual happens and we dont turn up and get fecked out at the first hurdle.

Thats our last 7 european games, Odense, Pana, Levante, and the 1st against Krasnodar we have shipped 13 goals and scored just 1, we just don't seem to be able to play in Europe. I know that we have been up against much better sides with huge budgets, but we never seem to make any progress.

When we qualified for the Uefa cup and played Nancy in 2008 Europe was a huge boost to the club, our 1st taste of it in 12 years, and most well fans were happy just to Qualify. Now recently we are qualifying every year and i think we need to be progressing, just getting there is not enough now, we need to be aiming for the group stages.

• Like 1

Kuban are no better than Rosenborg who St Johnstone recently put to the sword. The Norwegian’s had a far superior euro pedigree than the Russians, however Saints showed what can be achieved at this level. I do realise Rosenborg’s budget (£20m?) is far less than Kuban’s (£40m?) but that still doesn’t dilute what the Saints achieved over the two games. This is the sort of result we should be aiming for in europe, rather than just rolling over and accepting our fate.

UBH. To an extent I don't disagree with what you are saying. I am happy for Saints, but by the sound of things enjoyed a fair amount of luck in the 2 ties v Rosenberg. Plus being a Nordic side, their style is more like our UK style. Good luck to them and I hope they get through to the play off round.

But I would happily bet my house on Levante, Pana and Kuban taking all SPL teams to the cleaners apart from maybe Celtic.

We have a new team that have not played a competitive game before last night. I expected what happened, I only hoped it would not. My concern for the new season is our lack of pace and whether Sutton and our strikers will get many goals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's time to take the leash of off Faddy.

He is not a winger and never has been IMHO. He's our best player who can create something from nothing, so get him either just off the striker or part of a centre midfield 3. It was no surprise that our best spell was when he was drifting inside.

Still - not a terrible result, they beat us because they have better players, so onwards and upwards for the weekend.

Disappointing result,but no shame in losing to a team with a budget M'well could only dream of

Hollis made 2/3 excellent saves in game,which will disappoint those fans who seem to have made their mind up he isn't good enough,despite last night being only his 3rd? competitve game

"Bouncy castle"Easter Road next,let's hope we can get off to a good strart in the league

Edited by Steve Cowan App Society

I thought they were a good team and thought we did well but just didn't have an out ball often enough. How many times did Faddy or ZFA pick up the ball wide and we needed someone to run towards the corner but we just don't have any pace in the team at all. There is just nobody to make the runs that Ojamma made all season or even the out ball from the back for Humphrey to run on to. Maybe we've just been spolit with this style and need to get used to a much slowe build up.

I though Lawson and Vigurs had good games and woudl love to see Vigurs get the ball more. Also thought McManus strolled through the game with real confidence. Amazing how some players looked really unflustered when under pressure even in our own box and yet the fans were in meltdown!

Now recently we are qualifying every year and i think we need to be progressing, just getting there is not enough now, we need to be aiming for the group stages.

Kuban are no better than Rosenborg who St Johnstone recently put to the sword. The Norwegian's had a far superior euro pedigree than the Russians, however Saints showed what can be achieved at this level. I do realise Rosenborg's budget (£20m?) is far less than Kuban's (£40m?) but that still doesn't dilute what the Saints achieved over the two games. This is the sort of result we should be aiming for in europe, rather than just rolling over and accepting our fate.

I don't know if we can be so sure that Rosenborg and Kuban are of a similar pedigree as you suggest but if not diluting Saints achievement I think you do have to qualify it if you are using them a comparison against Motherwell.

Their win over Rosenborg is very much along the lines of our win against Aaelesund where went into that tie against a similar calibre of opposition and significantly we went into it with an equally settled team as St Johnstone have done this season.Take the second leg at Fir Park for example. Only Darren Randolph from that starting eleven was new to the team. You can't understate the importance of that continuity when the team you are facing is of a broadly similar standard to yourself.

Saints earned their luck when they inherited Rosenborg's seed status and have been fortunate in managing to get one of the weaker sides left in the competition. But having done that I would have expected them to do broadly what they did last night.

But let's not confuse our inability to beat sides, with the notable exception of Odense who were the golden opportunity, in recent seasons who have been better than us with any lack of desire to aim to make the group stages. The managers have wanted it. They players have wanted it. Dempster and the board quite obviously want everything that comes with it.

I think its harsh to say we've rolled over and accepted our fate. We've been beaten by better teams after tweaking our strategy. We went for it against Pana. A slightly more cautious strategy was adopted for Levante on the back of that and that was further modified for last night. It was individual errors that put paid to the strategy last night not a rolling over and acceptance that we would lose just because we were playing a better team.

• Like 3