Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

I don't agree with the decision. We should be fielding our strongest XI and trying to win the tie.

However, if the six-hour flight genuinely increases the risk of McFadden and Vigurs tearing hamstrings and being out for a lengthy period, it's maybe a decision that needed to be made.

Not surprised about Sutton or Faddy but Vigurs surprised me as he's only 25 and should be able to recover better than the other two (and Las and Hammy). If Faddy played in this game, got injured and was out for a couple of months we'd all be raging. It's a risk averse approach but I think it's totally justified.

Would rather we started with Anier than Sutton anyway as his movement is better and I think he'll cause more problems. Also hope that Carswell gets a start.

While I'm a realist I'm also an optimist. Are they better than us, yes. Are they beatable, yes. Just hope we can sneak an early goal to make things interesting.

What a fucking joke. Where is the ambition from our club. Yes we are 2-0 down, but if we were to get an early goal then who knows what might happen.

But before a ball is kicked he has left three of our best players at home.

Also McCalls words after the game were annoying as fuck. 'The tie is over. We have no chance' etc etc.

I have no idea why we even take part in this competition.

If this is the prize for getting second in the league then fuck it, what is the actual point?

Exactly this. We won't win the league, don't get any decent cash for 2nd now and dont try in Europe so fuck the league. McCall might as well rest Faddy etc.. for cup games and not bother in the league apart from to get fit.

Fucking Joke. McCall's lack of bottle and ambition really gets on my tits.

I just don't think it's all that weakened. Anier in for Sutton is a legitimate swap as things stand, Vigurs hasn't yet nailed an automatic starting slot, and McFadden isn't firing yet anyway.

The first two omissions from the starting line-up could justifiably happen even if the full squad was away, and no-one would bat much of an eye...and as much as people would question McFadden not starting, that's more because of his status rather than his performances so far.

It's not likely that we'd win anyway...but i don't think those changes make it particularly less likely.

I just don't think it's all that weakened. Anier in for Sutton is a legitimate swap as things stand, Vigurs hasn't yet nailed an automatic starting slot, and McFadden isn't firing yet anyway.

The first two omissions from the starting line-up could justifiably happen even if the full squad was away, and no-one would bat much of an eye...and as much as people would question McFadden not starting, that's more because of his status rather than his performances so far.

It's not likely that we'd win anyway...but i don't think those changes make it particularly less likely.

Agreed Al but I think for many, certainly myself, it is the principle of the decision. It is no different to going 2-0 down to Celtic at half time in a leagu cup final and taking our best players off to rest them as there is 'no chance' anyway.

Its a bad message to send out that we are not good enough for even early European rounds and really makes you wonder about the point of even resting players in Europe to help get 3 points in the league on Sunday to....ultimately end up in Europe....

• Like 1

Can't believe he has left McFadden at home. If anything, he is the one player in the team who needs matches to become sharp. He's looked a yard or two short in every game in pre-season, the European match and on Sunday.

Apart from that, what is the point of us trying to get into European positions in the league if we're not going to give a f*ck about Europe after 1 bad result?

I see where you're coming from with that Al but on the other hand you could argue that despite being minging in the first leg big Sutton came closest to scoring by smacking the post. Vigurs gave the ball away a fair bit in the first leg but also had around half our attempts on goal, and isn't afraid to shoot. Added to the fact that McFadden can be awful for 95% of a game and provide 2/3 moments of awesomeness that can change the game on it's head.

We need goals and these 3 guys seem most capable of providing them.

Just seems to me that we've chucked in the towel with only 2 goals in it.

Lack of ambition cost us already by being scared of them in the 1st leg it can be argued, why the high horse attitudes over this decision? Game was there to be won in the home game, we failed miserably again. League points over Aberdeen could be vital in the longer term given everyone reckons they're going to be a force this season. Better to put their gas at a peep early on and quell their early season optimism before they get some momentum.

TBH I couldn't give 2 fucks about Europe, it's merely a chance for a fitba' holiday, had 2 good trips at Donny & Morecambe already so not fussed in the slightest if we remain in a thoroughly loaded competition with all the odds against teams like ours.

Personally a don't think it really matters who we take over to russia because we are still going to get the same outcome even if they 3 travelled. We blew our chance at home, I went to spain last year and the tie was over but the fans made the most of it and it was a great trip even tho it was a weakened team and I am sure that the fans in russia will have a great time and experience aswell and fair play to the ones that have made the trip. They wont even know who the players are once they have a few halfs of the russian vodka.

Its a dissappointing decision from SMC, its sending the message out that he thinks we are beaten before the game is even played. What sort of confidence does that install in the players when the manager is so negative. As for the Aberdeen game, its not as if its a title decider, its game 2 of a 38 game season FFS, they have been our bitches for 4 or 5 seasons now,why should Sunday be any different.

I agreee with Fatcalf that the competition is loaded against teams like Motherwell progressing, but if we have a great season again and qualify for Europe, unless we are going to give it our best shot, ie strongest available team selection etc, then we might as well not bother taking part.

There were another 38 clubs in Scotland who would love to have been playing in Europe this year, so in my opinion sending a weakend side is not doing ourselves or Scottish football justice. If you think you are beaten before you start then you will be, so why not get the players up for it, show confidence and get right into them. When it comes to the European matches the main problem Motherwell has is getting over our own inferiority complex, oh its Pana, Levante,Odense , Kuban, ( next years opponents) etc they are better than us we have no chance. Just once i would like to see SMC talking us up before a European game, instead of running scared from teams

Absolutley fine with that decision.

The tie is dead. Frankly I'd have given more of the first team a rest.

Hope to see likes of Carswell, Kerr, Cummins, Erwin, McHugh, Angol and Neilson all start or feature heavily. A few older heads mixed in and guys like Lawson, McManus and Lasley not to play the full 90 ideally, come back reasonably fresh for Sunday.

It's 3 guys FFS, not the entire first team. If we start with the same guys from the Hibs game with those three replaced by Anier, ZFA and Carswell then I'd be quite happy with that. I also don't think that McCall and Black are saying to the guys "don't bother your arses when you take to the field tomorrow". The eleven that start will be trying their best to win the game, I don't doubt that for a second!

To say that McCall lacks ambition is utter pish. He's brought in a higher quality of player in McManus and Faddy along with decent players like Lawson and Vigurs - to me that shows the ambition to do at least as well in the league with the hope of a better run in one of the cups.

What amuses me is a couple of people saying what's the point in finishing second if you're not going to have a go in Europe. I'd have thought from the players' and manager's point of view, it'd be to say you were the second best team in the country. And from the fans' point of view, it'd be seeing your team win the majority of their games and have pride in supporting the second best team in the country. Are people saying that if there was no such thing as European football then they wouldn't see the point in finishing second? If they are, they're fucking idiots, in my opinion. For me, the joy of last season was not "great, we're in Europe again" but "we've been a great team this season". Europe is a distraction, to be looked upon as glamorous pre-season games for us. This season, we didn't get the glamour but them's the breaks. I refuse to listen to people moaning about not having a go when it's the same people that said we didn't stand a chance after the draw was made..

For what it's worth, I reckon if we had St Johnstone's draw, we'd have done as well as they're doing. Is that bad luck or just an example of how finishing third gives you a better chance than finishing second given the seeds in the earlier rounds can be slightly weaker? Now there's a question to be asked and not of Stuart McCall...

• Like 1

the three guys that have been left at home were candidates for getting dropped after their showings on sunday anyway.

hollis

kerr ramsden hutchinson mcmanus hammell

carswell lasley lawson zfa

arnier

we have as good a chance with that team as any. cross you fingers for a set piece goal.