Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

This result would almost certainly see us knocked out, we can only afford to loose an away goal if we score 5 or 6 at the other end.

You kidding?

If we avoid getting spanked by three plus goals we'll have done well, this clubs resources are so far ahead of ours any sort of win on our behalf would be a minor miracle and one of the best results in our clubs history.

I'd take 2-1 Motherwell right fucking now! Any sort of lead no matter how slender to take to Russia would be fantastic. Yeah it would still make them favourites and only give us a wee chance of sneaking through but considering last year we were out of both ties before we'd even boarded a plane I'd settle for that.

If we have even a slight chance of going through come Friday morning I will be fucking delighted.

I always think the well can win, no idea what team will play not seen any pre season don't know anything about them but considering we 've got eight new players they'll know less about us for startin line up i'd guess

neilson

McManus hutchy ramsden

carswell lasley

anier vigurs zfa

faddy

Sutton

and a 2 nil win but look forward o seein the game on Thursday

MON THE WELL

You kidding?

While a 2-1 win would be a great result, I believe it's also a result that would ultimately see us lose the tie. In my opinion we can't afford to lose an away goal, unless we score more than 2 at the other end. If it has to be a narrow win I would rather it finished 1-0 to us.

I really can't see Anier starting tomorrow, although it depends what kind of fitness Sutton has at the moment. I can see us lining up along the lines of:

GK: Neilsen

DL: Hammy

DC: Hutch

DC: McManus (no nicknames yet)

DR: Ramsden

ML: ZFA

MC: Lasley

MC: Lawson

MR: Vigurs

AMC: McFadden

ST: Sutton

I've no idea if Iain VIgurs even has a right foot, but couldn't think of anyone else to play there. The alternative I suppose would be to go for a sort of 5-3-1-1, with Kerr and either Hammy or ZFA as wing backs - in this formation I could see Carswell starting instead of Lawson.

Hard to say at the moment, but either way it shows up how devoid of options we are on the right hand side. If Mark Wilson does end up signing that would be a good bit of business, but in my mind we still need an out-and-out right sided midfielder/winger.

That said, I'm really looking forward to it - it'll be the first time for me seeing any of the new folk in action, always hard to tell this early how things will pan out, but just glad the football is back again!

1375208057[/url]' post='391258']

I would use him as a impact sub from the bench tbh! 30 mins if we struggle to break them down bring him on.

I think this is exactly what will happen. While I believe he deserves a start I think ZFA will be used from the bench if plan A isn't working.

Bookies tend to get these things right and KK are odds on to win on Thursday but I hope St Johnstone's efforts will show our guys what can be done.

Really looking forward to the first competitive game of the season!

I have no idea how they will line up and I have no idea how we will line up. Therefore I have no idea how this game will go!

Given their resources they should be too strong for us, but did they spend their money wisely and will their players underestimate ours?

Only one way to find out.

COYW!

Keepers, haven't seen enough of either to comment.

Defence Is picking itself with Hammell, McManus, Hutchison and Ramsden/Kerr.

McCall has cited issues with being outplayed in midfield in most of our pre-season games (well from the snippets I've seen on the official site).

For that reason I see a midfield of Vigurs, Carswell, Lasley & Lawson with McFadden dropping back to help.

Sutton up front as a target man.

If we're chasing it, then whoever's being least effective in midfield would be subbed. However could see Ramsden/Kerr sacrificed to a back three as the two centre halves are imposing and you've got speed from Hammell for a degree of cover.

Alternative is ZFA on with McFadden pushed to a more forward position in support. I can't see Henri feature unless he's being doing something in training to impress.

Edited by Goggles & Flippers

I appreciate that we're going against a better outfit, but holy hell, the way some folk are going on, it's as if we're a no mark team going up against Bayern/Barca,

2 nil Motherwell. Optimistic, aye, but for fecks sake, someone has to be.

I'm with you Stipels. Not quite sure why so many pesimistic views. I always feel we are in with a chance of winning any game at fir park.

If we lose an early goal the tie could be over before we even get started. Hopefully we can keep it tight and possibly take a 1-0 lead going into the second leg. This team are seeded for a reason, and the reason is they have better players, play in a better league against better opposition. If we do manage to beat them over the two legs it will go down as one of our greatest ever results. Fingers crossed.

St Johnstone are seeded for a really pish reason so seeding isn't everything & while i think we have the capability to get horsed we can also sneak a narrow win by them underestimating us. The tie depends on us keeping it tight for the first 20 mins. If we lose as early goal then the tie is gone.

If we lose an early goal the tie could be over before we even get started. Hopefully we can keep it tight and possibly take a 1-0 lead going into the second leg. This team are seeded for a reason, and the reason is they have better players, play in a better league against better opposition. If we do manage to beat them over the two legs it will go down as one of our greatest ever results. Fingers crossed.

This is there 1st European game, they are seeded because of the good results other Russian sides have had in recent years, so they take the high country co-efficient. Its the same reason Swansea are seeded for Q3. I dont see enough Russian league games to judge the standard, but just because they are paying millions for players does not necessarily mean those players are any good.

We will need to hit the ground running tomorrow night and be at our best, keeping a clean sheet and taking a lead to Russia to build on would be a great result.

I'm just hoping we score this year. Would also like to see us go forward with our possession this time around rather than being forced sideways all the time like in the last campaign

i'd obviously love us to win, however realistically we are up against it - but a goal at home would go a long way to sending me home happy!!

McCall has already stated he will be playing 3 centre halves and 2 wing backs, so he'll either play Hammy as a CB and ZFA wing back, so that he can shuffle them round if its not working and he doesnt have to make a sub - or it'll be Hammy or ZFA at wing back

Sutton, McManus and hutchy. Surley we must be looking good for a goal from a corner?

Faddy and Vigurs are both capable of hitting decent shots from outside the box, something we as a team have not been good at in recent years and from that i'm hoping that we can take advantage of any set pieces we may get , i've not seen any of their players, but with these guys physique, im hoping we can use it to our advantage

Defence Is picking itself with Hammell, McManus, Hutchison and Ramsden/Kerr.

McCall has cited issues with being outplayed in midfield in most of our pre-season games (well from the snippets I've seen on the official site).

For that reason I see a midfield of Vigurs, Carswell, Lasley & Lawson with McFadden dropping back to help.

Sutton up front as a target man.

as mentioned above - unless McCall has a major change of heart - we will be playing a 5-3-2 or a 5-4-1 - I agree about the midfield, and thats what make me think it will be 5-4-1 which will leave Sutton very isolated. He may do what he didn in Pana and dropped Higgy, we may see McFadden or McHugh as a lone strikerand if that happens, it will be Carsy who comes in

however i see it as

Nielsen

.................. Rammers Hutchy Mick

Kerr ........................ ................................Hammell

........................ Lawson

....................Lasley Vigurs

........................... Faddy

............................Sutton

Hope everyone brings their singing voice and we dont get Malmo'd!! :laugh:

#SIWY

Hope everyone brings their singing voice and we dont get Malmo'd!!

Hopefully Hibernian's collapse in Europe was a one off and we are not left holding our head in our hands at the final whistle. Hibs were an embarrassment to the Scottish football last week, however it did show that if you are not on top of your game bad things can happen.

Just like St Johnstone, hopefully we can restore some pride back to our game and come away with a positive result. thumbup.gif

Mon the Well! yahoo.gif

I still think we have a chance at home....not the tie.

We have scored in every game apart from Doncaster (our first game and we had chances) They have conceeded in every league game. Only won one game, against the newly promoted team last year, only drew 1-1 with a ten man rubin team, and drew 1-1 with a late goal to a managerless Zenit team.

We will have chances tomorrow night that is for sure, as we have had before in ELQ however we need to take them.

It is going to be really tough but keep the faith!!!

Two nil-nil draws, two Hollis clean-sheets and Hollis to net the deciding penalty in Russia to seal an 11-10 penalties win.... :yahoo: Easy!!!!!!!

And back in the real world, given that we hadn't heard of them until about a fortnight ago, probably only a very of us have ever set eyes on them I find it difficult to make any type of prediction.

We know they are from country that has plenty of cash available to spend on their teams we but don't actually know how good they are as a team. They might well prove themselves be comfortably superior to us and win at a canter. I just hope we do not fall into the trap of being beaten before a ball's even kicked simply because they happen to play in a bigger league and one that more finance available in it.

But if I do get my nil-nil from the first leg I wont be too disappointed at all.

• Like 1

Can any of our Russian friends let us know if it is going to be on Russian TV?

Probably easier to just tweet/message Motherwell and ask whether anyone apart from ourselves will be covering the game. However, I very much doubt it will be shown anywhere other than the highlights on MFCTV. Although I would imagine that there will be radio coverage on Radio Scotland 810MW and digital for anyone unable to make the game.