Motherwell V Kuban Krasnodar

BigColin08

Fuck right off. Hollis had a good game. How the fuck can he sound like a bombscare. We played ok and lost a stupid fuckin goal due to Hammel. No blame on Hollis. Clueless c**t.

I wouldn't say he had a good game but you couldn't blame him for any of the goals.

Made a couple of decent saves, missed a couple of crosses. Kinda evens itself out I guess.

Can't think of a single player who'd get pass marks. No composure in possession & at times struggled to find one of our players. McCall needs to take some share if the blame, no support for Sutton, only McCall to blame for that. Could be a long season...

Don't agree with this at all. They were better than us and in a different universe from Hibs. The front three (Kabore, Popov, Balde) were all quality players that were a different level from our domestic league.

They were also, like Newcastle Utd, extremely tactically disciplined when we had the ball. We just don't come up against teams that defend that well off the ball and all over the park in our league. They make it so hard for players to find space and that is the key to creating chances. Hence our lack of goals.

I don't think you can fault anyone that played tonight for effort, some even played pretty well (I'd highlight Hutchinson and Lawson) but at the end of the day we just lack that little bit of quality across the team that these mid level European sides have with 30, 40 million to spend have.

Money talks, sadly.

I agree with this. Although we were beaten I think there were a couple of positives. Hollis seemed to gain a good bit of confidence after his save. Vigurs looks like a great signing, Lawson was solid, Hutchison was immense. I'm looking forward to the season. Yes we got beat tonight but I think that team had some real good players particularly 99, 71 and even 7 when he came on.

The only thing I left unsure about is what ZFA is meant to be doing. He seems to be ok when on the ball but his vision off the ball and his timidness is odd for a wide player.

Kuban looked as good a team as we've played in europe, going forward anyway.The number 99 is one of the best players i've seen playing at fir park and popov wasn't far behind, just a case of beaten by a better.

You not seen many europe games then ? We failed to put them under any concerted pressure, gave them too much time with the ball in midfield and expected too much from Sutton up front on his own. As for the goals ? Wheres Cosgrove when you need him to articulate exactly how you feel !!!

• Like 1

Usually when we beat the more financially priviliged teams its through a higher work rate and pressing them when they're on the ball, but if anything Kuban did that to us. This resulted in most of our possession being harmless as we didn't have the spark to break them down. Saying that, we had some decent shooting chances on the edge of the box, and two headers for Sutton, but we didn't get the bit of luck that we probably needed.

Same old story.

Given our newly found aerial presence I was disappointed with our set pieces as it was the only way we were ever going to score tonight.

Impressed by Lawson and the centre halves but nobody else played particularly well which is disappointing for such a significant game. Absence of Neilson wasn't surprising but is a concern, hopefully we haven't shelled out a decent wage on a dud.

Send a reserve team to Russia on a bus and spend the charter money on somebody with a bit of pace and movement. Clear to see tonight that ZFA is no more than an impact player at present.

They were a better team than us but not that much better (not as good as Panathinaikos or Levante), the real frustration is the goals we lost. One pretty much straight from our goal kick and one from our own corner (Hammell's mistake was as bad as it sounded).

With the team that finished last season, we'd have probably lost the same goals but might have threatened more. We will miss Humphrey badly this season and need to get someone closer to Sutton (I seem to remember saying the same about Higdon before Ojamaa's arrival).

We'll be alright this season but lack of pace that we've had in previous seasons might mean we'll finish fifth or sixth rather than second or third..

• Like 1

Not long back from the game and to say that i'm disappointed is an understatement.

Had high hopes for this tie as i didn't really rate this team regardless of spending budgets.

We did the same old same old, lost to a team we were capable of beating, we gave them too much space on the ball for the first 20 mins or so and were always 2nd to every ball, I think that Sutton did okay but he had zero support at times, Impressed with Lawson & Vigurs, ZFA was too close to Hamill all of the first half.

All in all, the lads put in the effort but when we started to chase the game, the result was only going to end one way, we make a habit of making teams look better that they are, and tonight we did just that, some would say that Kuban won with ease, and some will agree, but in all honesty we handed it to them on a plate.

Here's hoping that they think the tie is over (and itprobaly is - however where there is hope - i believe), perhaps a quick goal in Russia next week will make for an interesting game, nothing to loose, get right in about them, i'd rather loose heavily away from home and give it a good shot, rather than sit back and play tactically.

Europe comes just too early for us. They were sharper as expected as they are already playing competitive games. At the end of last season we were playing so well we would have fancied our chances against Pana or Levante but when we played them it was too early in the season. This year will be the same at the end of the year we will be saying why can't the Euro games be now? Still can't believe people thought we would hump them :doh: they obviously have short memories from our recent Euro adventures.

I agree with send the reserves over there we have an important league game on the Sunday and can't risk injury/fatigue for a meaningless game.

• Like 2

Worst Euro team I've seen at FP - one excellent player, but like all Euro teams they get a sniff and its in the pokey. New side or not, can't believe we lost to that drivvel tonight. Hibs in disguise :doh:

Last 5 Euro ties ...... Goals for 0, Goals against 10 ..... says it all.

Fucken Murder

This is the most ridiculous post on a football forum I have ever read. Pathetic.

Mypa 47? Give the team a chance. The level in quality was massive not to mention the resources the Russians have. We have a new team which will get better through time.

Please stay away from fir park with that attitude

• Like 2

I thought we actually competed well. The Russians were just too good. Hammells pass that cost the 2nd goal was criminal. Killed the tie stone dead. Tackle on Faddy was disgraceful, I'm surprised he got up from that. Was very impressed with Vigurs, Lawson and McManus. ZFA was good and was getting fouled all the time. Badly need an out ball down both flanks but we won't have to play against players that good again this season (except in away leg obviously)

Sutton is garbage, he shouldn't be up top himself. McFadden not fully fit, missed Humphrey and ojamaa tonight!

So what's your solution? You're obviously upset or pished. John Sutton isn't garbage, things didn't come off for Faddy, but we kind of have to go with him unfit since he's still our best player by a mile. Humphrey and Ojamaa are gone, if ZFA had more encouragement to get beyond the full back he'd be as effective as Humphrey.

I have no worries about the league campaign at all, a game like tonight's doesn't ever give a true reflection of how we're going to shape up. For a start, friendlies against Doncaster and Morecambe aren't exactly the best preparation for a competitive game against a disciplined, skilful, tactically aware European side (first time in the competition or not, they were a class act). I think there's probably something in the fact that the team is still finding its feet - I may be wrong, but I don't think we've put out the same team twice in the friendlies. For a team like us with such a high turnover of players every summer, we really need to look at playing a few more games first - as a few others have said, the Euro games come too early!

So, onto the match itself. Hollis for me just doesn't look like a keeper - he has little physical presence, and doesn't look like he inspires any confidence in the back four at all. i almost wondered whether he was given a chance tonight out of loyalty, but for me he really didn't look good enough at all. Nielsen at least has a bit of physicality, so I'd hope to see him get the nod going forward.

Vigurs looks like a real capture - the link up between him and Faddy should hopefully work well once they gel a bit. Faddy looked off the pace, a few things didn't work for him in the first half and the head seemed to go down. Pass marks elsewhere for Hutch, Lawson and ZFA.

Sutton was abysmal, and once again McCall waited far too long before he made a change - proved that sticking him up by himself without a foil making runs in behind just doesn't work. Too often tonight the midfield would work the play up the park only for Sutton to either flick it onto no-one, or fall on his arse - we needed someone to almost play the Ojamaa role to link between the two - perhaps Anier?

Still, I think it was obvious tonight that match fitness is still lacking, and the cohesion in the team just wasn't quite there yet. I have no doubts that it will come, but the game was just too early for us in the season.