• Keith Lasley
    • John Sutton
    • Iain Vigurs
    • Bob McHugh
    • Zaine Francis-Angol
    • Henri Anier
    • Stuart Carswell
    • Null Vote

McManus looks the player that his cv suggests. Class act but he wasn't tested much today due to Fenlon's tactics.

Also really like the look of Lawson although Thurs seemed to catch up with him in the 2nd half.

My motm though is Lasley, streetwise performance and I think he kicked on when some others were tiring.

Went for Hutchy. Barring his compulsory rash tackle, they were spot on. His passion for the team today was excellent, epitomised by his celebrations at the end.

Echo the comments about McManus though. He looks a class above and given the opportunity will bring Shaun's game on leaps and bounds.

I have no fears about our defence this season and believe they will collectively make up for Randolph's absence.

Went for Lee Hollis! Felt he kept us in the game with a couple really good saves, and was composed under pressure when on the ball.

McManus and Hutchy came a very close second and third respectively.

Faddy was never really at the races, but one or two more weeks to get his fitness back up to scratch and he will once again be our match winner!

Sutton worked like a trooper as always and was unfortunate to not score when he actually outpaced someone!

Thought Hammell was outstanding all day. Never put a foot wrong all day. It seemed to me like every 3rd Motherwell touch in the 1st half was him.

On a tenuously related note...Hammell's first touch is one of the best i've ever seen, and I think his team-mates know it...as long as they pump it out roughly towards him he's capable of killing it on his toe from almost anywhere.

Few example of it not being so over the years obviously...but for the amount of times that skill is used per game he's right up there.

Have to give McManus MOM though, we're lucky enough to have yet another player who is a level or two above, and it shows.

• Like 1

On a tenuously related note...Hammell's first touch is one of the best i've ever seen, and I think his team-mates know it...as long as they pump it out roughly towards him he's capable of killing it on his toe from almost anywhere.

Few example of it not being so over the years obviously...but for the amount of times that skill is used per game he's right up there.

Was discussing this earlier today (again).

The number of times I've seen Steven Hammell utterly kill a ridiculous pass from a team mate over the years is nigh on uncountable. Seriously, incredible, over the period. The number of times he's had no right to manage to control it, and has done so is bizarre.

Such an underrated aspect of his game, in my eyes. As with his leap. For a small fella, he wins a truly phenomenal number of balls in the air.

• Like 1

Hard one but went for McManus. Looked a class act.

McManus. Calm and collected, good header in their box, and just looks like the real deal, generally.

McManus, strolled it. Best centre back we've had in a long time.

McManus strolled it.

McManus again for me, brings a lot of confidence to our back line.

Could be a common theme this season.

Got to agree with the crowd here and go for McManus. Strolled through the game and looked unstoppable. Also thought Lawson was superb in the first half, but faded a bit in the second and got a little sloppy with his tackling, hence the booking. Hammell solid as ever as well.

I get the feeling that this season may be a bit like under Craig Brown, at least in terms of results. Building on a solid defence and winning by the odd goal or two. I don't expect a lot of 3-2 or 4-1 affairs this season. The difference between then and now though, is that we're a lot more capable of playing the ball through the middle than we were then. With Lawson instead of Jennings, we have a real ability to spray the ball about and build on possession that we didn't have back then. Not to mention Vigurs, Lasley/Carswell and Faddy in and around there as well.

Hard not to vote for McManus for a second time but thought Hollis deserved some recognition for keeping us in the game with a couple of good saves. Also thought Keith played a blinder popping up everywhere and provided an out for many of our players when under pressure from Hibs.

Went for McManus. As commanding a centre-half performance as you're likely to see all season. Came and won every header, his distribution was great (quite a few lefties in the team now) and kept the defence well organised. That Hibs new boy Collins hardly touched the ball all game.

Wouldn't say anyone really had a bad game. McHugh and Sutton didn't get a great deal of service or support. They were usually pretty quickly crowded out along with McFadden whenever they got on the ball. The midfield were pretty solid. Lasley putting in a shift and covering the whole pitch as usual. Lawson spraying the ball about fairly well. Vigurs doing his best to get into forward positions out wide. He's definitely better suited to play in the centre but there's no room for him in there unfortunately. Defensively we were great yesterday, albeit against a pitiful Hibs attack. I thought Hammell was class, can't think of another defender in Scotland who's so good on the ball, his left foot is like a magnet. Hutchinson was sound, was unlucky to pick up the booking as he did actually get a touch on the ball, although it was almost head height!! Ramsden was decent as well although i don't think he's the greatest going forward, wouldn't mind young Fraser Kerr being given the chance in that position. Hollis was sound. Thought he looked a wee bit wobbly on Thursday night, although there was nothing he could have done about the goals. Made one cracking save from Robertson, and held onto a couple of difficult shots as well. Quite happy for him to keep his place. ZFA was a good outlet and helped stretch the Hibs defence when he came on. Think he'll be making a lot of appearances off the bench this year! Anier looked lively and it was a really composed finish for the winner (loving the salute celebration as well). Carswell hardly had a touch of the ball for the short time he was on. really like him as a player. Pity i don't think he'll get many starts this year

McManus proved to himself that he chose the right club and that showed in his performance that he was happy to chose us. He casually strolled that and if he was in the Hibs team they wouldve won.

I went for Vigurs though, delivery and willingness to create was there and despite not having much in front of him.