Motherwell V Aberdeen 11/8/13

Welldaft Mk1

As much as Hammell should maybe just have blootered the ball instead if bringing it down, he killed it beautifully, but was just robbed instantly. He was partly to bland but McManus's tackle that gave away the penalty was horrendously naive for someone of his experience. I don't know about him at the moment. I was hoping he would be a great leader and "thou shall not pass" but I can't help but feel he's got the look of a player than only wants what's best for himself rather than the team. Maybe I'm being harsh, but in that area if the pitch you have to make damn sure you're getting the ball and for me McManus wasn't even nearly careful enough. That said, I've watched the 2nd penalty incident several times now and I still can't work out why it was given! Shocking decision.

Who lost Reynolds for the goal? Good header but a free one, and perhaps at 18 yards out you're looking at the keeper maybe getting to it?

Still don't like seeing Reynolds play for them.

We've signed players who are good individually but don't fit any sort of natural shape when put together in a starting 11. It looks like we've just decided to sign anyone half decent without a shape in mind and without someone to link play from midfield to attack. We need a right winger ASAP and when we get one McFadden should be moved up top with Anier.

Spot on.

Had we signed McManus at the beginning of the summer, I doubt we would have signed both Kerr and Ramsden.

Sutton was signed without having a strike partner in mind.

And Vigurs seems like a bit of an afterthought subsequent to us missing out on Wylde and Vigurs' Oldham move falling through. Vigurs is a good player but he was a success at Ross County due to having a team build around him. He's getting hung out to dry a wee bit at the moment by trying to fit him into the Law role.

Who lost Reynolds for the goal? Good header but a free one, and perhaps at 18 yards out you're looking at the keeper maybe getting to it?

I think he was Suttons man judging by his reaction. The header was from the penaltie spot so I don't think you can blame the keeper when a opposition player gets a free header from that range. A defender should be attacking that ball.

Spot on.

Had we signed McManus at the beginning of the summer, I doubt we would have signed both Kerr and Ramsden.

Sutton was signed without having a strike partner in mind.

And Vigurs seems like a bit of an afterthought subsequent to us missing out on Wylde and Vigurs' Oldham move falling through. Vigurs is a good player but he was a success at Ross County due to having a team build around him. He's getting hung out to dry a wee bit at the moment by trying to fit him into the Law role.

I thought Vigurs was signed a good bit before anyone knew where Wylde was going?

ETA.... I thought Vigurs was one of the best performers in claret and amber today.

We've signed players who are good individually but don't fit any sort of natural shape when put together in a starting 11. It looks like we've just decided to sign anyone half decent without a shape in mind and without someone to link play from midfield to attack. We need a right winger ASAP and when we get one McFadden should be moved up top with Anier.

Nail on head. We've signed decent players with no thought of how their going to fit into the team. We are all over the place just now.

A centre half at right back. A left back in left mid. Our supposed main man stuck out on the right and a talented left foot playmaker stuck in the middle trying to win balls.

• Like 1

Disappointed today - Yip

Been disappointed before - Yip

Will i be disappointed in the future - Yip

We have been spoiled the last couple of season and unfortunately expectation levels have become tainted.

Would last seasons team have won today? Probably in my mind, But i am old enough and ugly enough to appreciate the luxury we were afforded the last couple of seasons but appreciating and expecting the same every season are two different things.

Mr McCall has replaced the bodies the we lost in the close season but i do not think that player for player he has replaced the quality, not just that but the togetherness and understanding last years team had came only after time playing together and playing a system that suited.

People on here moaned and slated players from time to time last season and we finished a comfortable second, i think we need to be patient ( aye right ) and give Mr McCall a bit of credit and also cut him a bit of slack.

We are Motherwell ( after all!!!!!!!!!!!! ).

• Like 7

Disappointed today - Yip

Been disappointed before - Yip

Will i be disappointed in the future - Yip

We have been spoiled the last couple of season and unfortunately expectation levels have become tainted.

Would last seasons team have won today? Probably in my mind, But i am old enough and ugly enough to appreciate the luxury we were afforded the last couple of seasons but appreciating and expecting the same every season are two different things.

Mr McCall has replaced the bodies the we lost in the close season but i do not think that player for player he has replaced the quality, not just that but the togetherness and understanding last years team had came only after time playing together and playing a system that suited.

People on here moaned and slated players from time to time last season and we finished a comfortable second, i think we need to be patient ( aye right ) and give Mr McCall a bit of credit and also cut him a bit of slack.

We are Motherwell ( after all!!!!!!!!!!!! ).

+1

Thought Aberdeen weren't much to write home about today, we however notably in the 2nd half were poor.

For me the game has turned on 3 things. Firstly Angol's crazy decision to try and play in a player quite a good few yards behind him at 1-0 rather than a much simpler looking pass to play in Anier who looked well set to be put through one one one with the keeper again.

Hammell's inexplicable blunder to gift possession leading to the penalty

With finally McCalls reluctance to freshen up our midfield which was looking tired and generally losing cohesion, especially in the spell after they equalised. Not having a pop at McHugh but just before they scored the second why was he getting readied to be brought on. Lawson and or Carswell should have been on for two from Vigurs, McFadden and Lasley. McFadden wasn't having a great day, a few flashes here and there, Vigurs was on a yellow and Lasley well I'd suspect was most likely to be feeling the effects of midweek. We were a shambles for a good spell and it shouldn't have taken them to score a second to spark McCall into action. That we then give away a seemingly soft penalty clearly kills the game at that point but overall I left with the feeling that despite not playing that great we gave that game away.

Overall I still think we'll be fine but we haven't gelled as a unit yet and there are a good few areas of concern. Hollis made some decent saves but does things that makes everyone nervous, there often seems to be a tonne of space in behind Ramsden at times, Hammell is making some big blunders, midfield look competent but a bit one paced, Angol looks bright but final ball and decision making are suspect so far, McFadden is looking like he doesn't know what to expect from players around him and generally below par so far. Sutton lovely pass to put Anier in, working hard enough but looks laboured could do with a couple of goals quickly to give him and us some confidence he can still really do a job.

We really could do another pacey player so we can break a bit more effectively. Quite pleased with Anier so far, think Angol will be ok but probably don't want to rely on him week week out just yet.

A bad day at the office for sure. I liked McCall's post match comments WE'LL BE BACK!! We will. Today and to be honest the season so far is best forgotten. Surely McManus will get it right. Surely Hammell will get better as we know he can. Surely McFadden will be allowed to get over his groin strain cos he was in agony most of the 2nd half.Surely we wont get many more diabolical penalty decisions like their 2nd given against us and SURELY WE'LL ACTUALLY CREATE A FECKIN CHANCE AGAIN IN A GAME AFTER THE FIRST MINUTE!!!! :wallbash: Keep believing. :drinks:

Just seen highlights on Sport scene. I see a thread already giving Sutton a hard time.

Based on those highlights McManus is more worthy of a thread than Sutton. From the sublime against Hibs to the ridiculous today. When Zola hit the bar - he left McManus standing.

Then that challenge for the 1st penalty. Every time I see it - I think what the f#ck! It was not as if McGinn or Hayes or whoever it was did anything other than run into the box. No trickery that warranted such a stupid lunge. I know if hammell empties it then McManus has not got to do anything but....

The second penalty mcmanus was pulling at Mcgennis but it still was fairly soft. He got away with a shove last week against hibs, but not today.

I really thought it was a coup us signing him. I hope I do not have to re-visit that thought so soon.......

• Like 1

In both league games we have been poor. Luckily Hibs are so bad we got away with that performance but against a better Aberdeen team we were found out. I have no doubts we will come good but it will take time & some pace being injected into the team. In the meantime however we will continue to get some up and down results with some howling performances so if you are unwilling to accept this then i suggest you take a break & watch cricket or something then come back around October when we should be playing good stuff again. No need to hear the same moans over & over again every time we don't scud someone 9-0.

• Like 1

In both league games we have been poor. Luckily Hibs are so bad we got away with that performance but against a better Aberdeen team we were found out. I have no doubts we will come good but it will take time & some pace being injected into the team. In the meantime however we will continue to get some up and down results with some howling performances so if you are unwilling to accept this then i suggest you take a break & watch cricket or something then come back around October when we should be playing good stuff again. No need to hear the same moans over & over again every time we don't scud someone 9-0.

i don't share your confidence.

there is a huge question mark beside mcfadden and if he doesn't sort himself out then our attacking options are sutton, arnier and mchugh which is dire.

the most depressing thing about today is that despite having no injuries or suspensions our 3 subs to get us back into the game were carswell, mchugh and fraser kerr at right mid.

we have had a terrible transfer window.

Aye. At least last season we had Omar.

This forum is full of rockets.

Ha, and in addition to Omar last season, it was Steve Jones and Michael McGlinchy the season before and Casagolda in McCall's first half season (however that car crash was down to Jack and Victor). Dry yer eyes!

For me McHugh has been cursed by the same as Forbes and Lawless, could prove to be decent if he was given a decent run of games to get the confidence up, never been overly poor in games, but never really shone, but can you with 15 minutes exposure?

Doesn't get a nod as others are brought in ahead. However I don't hang around watching them train daily.

Only criticism I have of McCall is he takes too long before making changes in personnel in a formation more concerned with damage limitation than inflicting damage. (think of our OF record).

Interesting to hear on the radio post match about 'a number' of seats in the south stand being ripped up by the away support.. No mention of it on here as far as I can see.

If true im sure we will here more about it, and see if Aberdeen do the right thing a pay up!