Motherwell V Aberdeen 11/8/13

Welldaft Mk1

Shocking performance, no drive, no creativity. Did we have any shots on goal apart from our goal?

Against Hibs, midweek and now today we look to be playing route 1. Big ball over the top, end of story. If thats the case its going to be a long season ahead. Possibly made harder to take having watched last seasons all out attacking team.

Change of tactics required!

On the positive side, i liked McCalls interview. A real rallying call, write us off at your peril! I trust McCall, but please Stuart, lets start attacking. We have a decent midfield, dont bypass it every time!

A few observations:

- I was impressed with anier. His movement was excellent and he was constantly working the channels. Great ball from Sutton for the goal also.

- Vigurs has a fantastic range of passing. He is a bit languid in style though, which brings me onto...

- there is not enough movement in the team. If your team is naturally narrow, you need quick passing and moving. The plan seemed to be hump to Sutton with no one feeding off the scraps, much the same as Kuban Kransnodar. We desperately need some pace in the team.

- ZFA - im really not sold. Chick Young picked up on him on the radio and for once he was right. I counted once that he wanted to beat a man. Passing it backwards to Hammell to launch just won't cut it.

- Fraser Kerr is not a winger. Absolutely bizarre selection from McCall so far this season

- Criticism of Hollis so far is completely unjustified in my book. He was going dogs abuse from sections of th east stand for not releasing it straight away, when there was hardly anything on. The pelters he was getting was embarrassing.

- overall, the writing was on the wall when we were lucky to go in 1-0 up after them rattling the post twice. No complaints about then winning.

Fucking dreadful stuff today, it really was.

I was up the other end of the ground and can't really comment on the Reynolds header or the 2nd penalty, but the 1st one I'd pin on Hammell, even though Mick gave the penalty away, terrible area to lose the ball.

McFadden needs to get the finger out, and quickly, just about everything he tried today failed, and that's not anywhere near good enough for a player who is meant to be our creative spark - his body language was terrible, and I'm starting to get fed up making excuses for him.

Angol isn't ready for regular first team fitba', his decision making is pish, and I've got a feeling he is getting in the team because he has pace.

Sutton is just garbage, and its going to be one helluva slog watching him all season.

Aberdeen were better than us for the full game, so I don't know why McCall waited til 10mins to go to make a sub, as it was plain to see that we were toiling badly.....in fact I do know why, it's because we have no options at all on the bench. Bringing Kerr on to play right wing is a fucking belter.

funny post above sorry, on my phone.

Also, since when did synchronised hand movements become the norm in Scottish football? The 'hoo', 'hah'. Fair play for the atmosphere, just an odd one!

Did you start it with your avatar?

McCall missed a trick for me today. 55-60 mins we should have changed to a 4-5-1 and brought Lawson on to shore up the midfield as it was clear the Dons were over running us in there.

Impressed by the Dons. Have a good squad and a good balance. Will be entertaining to watch them this year.

Not really many positives to take from today other than Anier scoring again and I think we are seriously lacking a plan B..... Fraser Kerr to right mid most certainly isn't that!!!

Hollis didn't have a chance with any of the goals but he seemed to dawdle on his line a couple of times with pass backs! Aberdeen fans where having a rare old time to themselves, shame bout the smashed seats!

My thoughts on today for what's its worth.

Lasley and vigurs have got to be worst combination in the middle of a four man midfield. If we are playing that way it should be lawson & 1 of the other two. And on the evidence of today I would pick vigurs as he can at least pass the ball.

Mcfaddens performances have been nothing short of pathetic this season. And suttons game would make an onion greet. McManus was poor as was hammell. Hollis had a couple of good saves but still makes me nervous.

Team is crying out for pace and creativity and right now we have neither.

• Like 1

Not really many positives to take from today other than Anier scoring again and I think we are seriously lacking a plan B..... Fraser Kerr to right mid most certainly isn't that!!!

As I pointed out before the European tie we have 15 outfield players with any first team experience.

Our squad is so thread bare we literally can't put out a second XI.

My thoughts on today for what's its worth.

Lasley and vigurs have got to be worst combination in the middle of a four man midfield. If we are playing that way it should be lawson & 1 of the other two. And on the evidence of today I would pick vigurs as he can at least pass the ball.

Mcfaddens performances have been nothing short of pathetic this season. And suttons game would make an onion greet. McManus was poor as was hammell. Hollis had a couple of good saves but still makes me nervous.

Team is crying out for pace and creativity and right now we have neither.

What that man said.

Not too disheartened, think if we can bring in a right winger with a wee bit of pace, we'll do just fine.

I do like Sutton, but not entirely sure we're utilising him correctly.

Well we got the difficult game we expected. Shame again we were pretty culpable for the end result having been in such a great position.

Absolutely fantastic start. Couldn't have dreamed for better. But we barely kicked a ball thereafter. By half-time you could argue it was about eaksy-peaksy. We had scored, they'd hit the bar a couple of times.

The second half completely belonged to Aberdeen and despite having absolutely no idea what the second penalty was for, they fully deserved their win.

Frustrating though that it was our own failing that gave them the opening with the first penalty. Hammy dithered, McManus took the bait and they immediately sniffed blood once they'd got level.

Until then I thought we'd looked pretty well organised defensively if offering absolutely nothing going forward and thought we might well have been able to grind our way to a sneaky win. But after they scored you had the fear.

Our forward play is a bit of a concern. Sutton is crying out for some decent service and Faddy continues to look some distance off of what we know he can bring to the team leaving us looking very one dimensional currently, albeit Anier again impressed today.

Hurts to have lost. To have chucked away a lead and in particular to Aberdeen with all the recent history the fixture has but its far from a decisive blow in the direction of our season. Frustrating as it is it is a case of holding our tongues hoping McCall can add that offensive spark on the wings and that the team's style of play evolves creatively sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Just got in and should probably waited to calm down before posting but sod it.

McFadden was pathetic today just as he was in Europe and Hibs.He is useless on right wing.Every time he drifted inside Aberdeen countered up the park and he couldn't track back leaving us totally exposed on the wing at every counter attack

Hammell cost us the first penalty by not using his head and booting the ball clear.

Angol tries but is a better left back than attacking midfielder.

McCalls tactics are rank rotten.

No creativity just pump the ball towards Sutton and hope for the best.

All in all

Total rank performance and a long season ahead.

Just got in and should probably waited to calm down before posting but sod it.

McFadden was pathetic today just as he was in Europe and Hibs.He is useless on right wing.Every time he drifted inside Aberdeen countered up the park and he couldn't track back leaving us totally exposed on the wing at every counter attack

Hammell cost us the first penalty by not using his head and booting the ball clear.

Angol tries but is a better left back than attacking midfielder.

McCalls tactics are rank rotten.

No creativity just pump the ball towards Sutton and hope for the best.

All in all

Total rank performance and a long season ahead.

you were fucking bang on with that bit pal

• Like 1