Motherwell V Aberdeen 11/8/13

Welldaft Mk1

BigColin08, on 11 August 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:Just got in and should probably waited to calm down before posting but sod it.

McFadden was pathetic today just as he was in Europe and Hibs.He is useless on right wing.Every time he drifted inside Aberdeen countered up the park and he couldn't track back leaving us totally exposed on the wing at every counter attack

Hammell cost us the first penalty by not using his head and booting the ball clear.

Angol tries but is a better left back than attacking midfielder.

McCalls tactics are rank rotten.

No creativity just pump the ball towards Sutton and hope for the best.

All in all

you were fucking bang on with that bit pal

Plus one :doh:

We made mistakes and are still needing to balance the side. We could be doing with being more direct and look to be a bit over cautious. Aberdeen look to have taken a significant step forward in appointing McInnes and with some of their signings.

Defensively our back 4 look pretty solid. McManus and Hurch looks like a good partnership. We have a pool of decent players to pick from we just need to add some pace / width. Service to Anier and Sutton could be miles better . Hey, it's Motherwell. We'll fuckin get there.

Keep the faith

I was hoping we might make better use of set pieces. In McManus, Sutton and Hutchison we have a formidable presence but nada so far...

If has to be said the delivery has been fucking atrocious so far though.

If Hateley had hit any of these free kicks/corners he would be getting slaughtered!!

Today was really poor and we got what we deserved. Got to agree with everyone saying we lack width and speed, as were not good enough to break teams down through the middle. Again the service to John sutton isn't good enough, What is he supposed to do when he gets a ball punted to him head height with noone around him. Thought Mcfadden had a good 15 mins then after that everything he done was poor. Think Iain Vigurs is good on the ball but is very lasy. Defence had a nightmare last 30.

Personally I think Anier and Hollis were our best players today. His work rate was really good and put himself about, Took his goal really well. The stick that lee hollis is getting is shocking, especially from the East stand. He made 2-3 cracking saves today and didn't do much wrong except the pass back to him that he hit off the aberdeen player. Folk need to realise he may not have the quality of John Ruddy or Darren Randolph but he hasen't done anything wrong to get the abuse he receives, There is some fanny's in that east stand and some of the shouts are embarrassing.

It's one defeat so calm down and support the team instead saying this player is shit, that player is shit, give them time to gel and then comment at the end of the season

• Like 2

Don't think we can tell that much from today's game other than Aberdeen should finish 2nd.We need to cut out the mistakes which cost us again and could be doing with a bit of pace and creativity in midfield but we're still better than most and imo 3rd is a realistic target.

Complete and utter over reaction, we were tired slow whatever you wish to call it but come next week well be a different team! Two penalties and a superb cross/header to undo what was a pretty solid defensive display! Ill begin to worry when were into deep January and Hearts are right on our tail!

I think Andy P's post summed it up perfectly.

It's just pretty galling that again it's all come down to a couple of individual mistakes by experienced players. Hammell/McManus at the first, McManus (I think) losing his man at the second, and according to the radio, McManus pulling a jersey for the third. The boy's had a howler of a week.

Aberdeen looked much better than they have in previous years, although that's not saying much. Definitely more like a top six side this year, if they can keep the run going, which has been their downfall the past few seasons. I still don't like them though, their fans are arrogant pricks who still think they're a force in European football. I hope that Motherwell will be sending the repair bill for the South Stand to Aberdeen FC. Fucking animals.

On a more positive note, aside from his early blunder, Hollis looked decent today, couple of great saves and no chance with the goals.

McFadden was pathetic today just as he was in Europe and Hibs.He is useless on right wing.

Lets not try and make excuses for him. He played his best game since his return in that role Vs Hibs last season and is more than capable there. His is a class act who should be able for any role in the final third.

Disappointing but unsurprising result and performance. The game was equal in the first half though we did at times ride our luck, with the two shots off the bar and McGinn being flagged when one on one when he was in his own half. However we were giving as much as we were getting. But in the second half every time we came forward the midfield ambled up and when we lost the ball they ambled back and it was clear our defence were getting too isolated and we should have had Carswell and or Lawson on much sooner to try and stem the flow of the game. Hammell again made a huge goal costing mistake but I think more of the blame lies with McCall as we were screaming for a change. Yes, we have some underperforming but they'll come so I'm not overly concerned and we'll not have that scenario with the travelling again so we move on.

They have gotten a good bit better. We seem to have gotten a bit worse.

3 awful goals to lose.

They have been utter shite for so long I guess that it had to be a matter of time before they managed to get a hold of a decent manager and a half decent team.

Early days but painful to watch.

Why did McCall leave if so late before making changes then? Everyone round about us could see a change needed to be made so what was McCall waiting for? Was Lawson injured from Russia?

Why has Faddy been so poor? He played 13 games last season and has had a full pre season! He's contributed absolutely nothing do far in sorry to say.

I might be sounding like a broken record but Higginbotham could've been a really useful addition to our team. I think we will live to regret letting him slip.

Quite upset with the result today, but to be honest the goals that we lost would have never happened on a different day. We were generally tired and the back four have had no rest, yet Aberdeen fans seem to not understand that we play European football aswell as Domestic football, clearly due to the fact that they don't have issues to deal with concerning European football. So, I'm not too worried, 38 game season

I might be sounding like a broken record but Higginbotham could've been a really useful addition to our team. I think we will live to regret letting him slip.

I don't really see what Wee Higgy would add that we don't already have. The one thing we're crying out for is pace and width. He definitely doesn't have the pace, and I don't think that he would really give us any more than Faddy or Angol, with our current system. Different way of doing things at Partick, where I think they'll be able to make use of what he can offer.

As well as needing some pace and width, we need someone to link up the play.

Higginbothan would have been a solid signing and possibly prevented us resorting to the long ball shite.

Whose to say we didn't try and he told us to bolt because we never gave him a chance last year. Having come here to get game time he has every reason to be a bit miffed with us. I know the game changed when we got Faddy. I actually think, whilst he is a good player, it is a quicker player we require and I'm not overly bothered he has gone to the Nettle. But one thing that is clear, we are one dimensional and if Angol gets injured we are completely Jimmy Rucked for pace.

Like most on here - I was not too surprised by the outcome of today's game. Aberdeen, now that they have stopped pinching our Managers, have got a decent Manager and added well to a decent squad. McGinn staying on was a real coup for them.

I think what we are seeing is that as much as we hoped, the replacements we have made are not to a similar standard to those players who have left.

2 of the players I had highest hopes for, have been a bit of a let down so far. Faddy again today looked of the pace and well below par. Beating 3 players is one thing, but constantly passing to the opposition is not what I expect from him. McManus strolled through the game at Hibs, but faced with better and pacier opposition like Kuban and Aberdeen he has struggled. Hammell was culpable for the 1st but the challenge from Mcmanus for the penalty was awful, no other word for it. I expected more for somone of his experience.

We may have got away with 3 points or even a point - whether we deserved it is another matter. But that is a few games now where amateur errors have cost us dear.

I still think ZFA is a good option for us and about the only out ball we have. The choice seems to be play him and have a more offensive option or play Lawson and be more defensive. I would go for ZFA as if we are more pedestrian than today or last week, we will be at a standstill.

I cling to the hope that we will click and that McManus and Faddy play to the level they are capable of. Aberdeen on that evidence will finisg top 3 and probably 2nd.

For us I think top 6 is still realistic, but better than that seems forlorn unless we gel as a team better.

EDIT to add - We have the team we can afford. 1st home league game of the season and I would make it a home crowd of 4300. That to me says it all. I would have expected at least 5000+ given the result last week....but our crowds are too low to afford a better side - SIMPLES

• Like 1

We've signed players who are good individually but don't fit any sort of natural shape when put together in a starting 11. It looks like we've just decided to sign anyone half decent without a shape in mind and without someone to link play from midfield to attack. We need a right winger ASAP and when we get one McFadden should be moved up top with Anier.

1-0 up and not even 1 minute on the bulb refitted scoreboard, I guess I wasn't the only one thinking this could be a rout.

Last week I thought, 1-0 away to Hibs .... decent. After seeing how awful they were against the Jambo's today then that win doesn't seem so significant.

Defence on paper is as strong and experienced as we've had in a while, however we were caught out repeatedly today with overlaps and players not covering the right guy instinctively.

Hollis - Guy few seats down from me gave him pelters as soon as he came near the ball, prime example was his lack of speed distributing the ball to the right wing on 70 mins, so what .... wasn't as if we were going to do anything with it.. Echo's of Higgy 2 years ago.

Felt he couldn't do anything with the three goals. Doesn't have anywhere near the same physical stature of our last two keepers and doesn't command the 6 yard box, couple of dodgy decision making errors, hopefully that's a confidence thing as it is his what? his 4th competitive game in 3 years. Really good reactionary save and ball smothering in 2nd half.

Hammell - Not the best couple of weeks for him.

McManus - I said to my mate that he'd cost 4 penalties and 2 OG's at least this season, I feel Crags record could go by Christmas. Awful game for him.

Midfield as a whole - Almost every game during preseason it was determined that this needed tweaking as it wasn't functioning, today I didn't see anything to convince me of the slightest improvement.

ZFA - I appreciate he's young, stepping up to the next level and primarily a left back being asked to play the role of winger/midfielder. I really hope its a confidence thing as in the second half vs Krasnodar he started to have impact rather than pass it back to Hammell. Final ball needs a lot of work in training as I found it very Humphreyesque.

Vigurs - Couple of postage stamp diagonal passes that will come to fruition over the season I'm sure. Needs to work on the relationship between the holding midfielders and forward line.

Arnier - Impressed with his work rate but there is only so much you can do if you aren't even getting a sniff of the ball.

McFadden - Not clicking at present, see frustration every time he tries something and a player at a higher level would have anticipated his touch or flick. As a support, we see him as a talisman and we need things to start working soon. Needs to come in from the wing.

Sutton - He does win a lot of free kicks as he knows what ref's are looking for better than Higgy. Passenger today but that was due to lack of anything decent from midfield to front.

McCall - It wasn't working at 60 minutes, a major shake up was needed, slow to react. Midfield shape/tactics needs addressed as a priority.

Edited by Goggles & Flippers