European Fitba'

ONeils40yarder

Well that's it done for another year (providing we can finish in the top 3 again this season).

But my feelings on European fitba' now is 'what's the point?'

I was only a boy when we played against Katowice, Dortmund, Havnar and Mypa, and while I was at all the home games, I had no chance of growing abroad. So it was a huge thing for me and I suppose the whole fan base when we qualified under the McGhoo.

The crowd we took to nancy was sensational for a club our size. I drove through the night to Bristol to get a flight to Paris, followed by a train to Nancy and the same on return, because I wasn't prepared to miss the tie.

The following season, I went to Lanelli on the Joker bus, and went to Bucharest on my Todd (although I met up with folk on the way there and in the city itself), spending money that I really shouldn't have. I then spent two days on the bus to Odense, again money was tight, but I didn't want to miss what could have been our last away adventure for a long time, so I bit the bullet and booked up by myself again.

However, I didn't entertain the prospect of trips to levante, Athens or Russia, and to be honest swithered about buying tickets for our home tie against Kuban.

There are a few things that piss me off about it all, when we meet a team of a certain standard we know we are getting fucked out, the year we played against Llanelli, the Albanian mob and then Bucharest was at least entertaining, but going straight in against a club with resources that are multiple times what ours are is soul-destroying particularly after a great season last year and ultimately the destruction of that side. Added to that is the financial side of things, the Club works its arse off all year to be rewarded with a trip to the back of beyond, our arse handed to us and a financial boot in the baws to go along with it.

I've loved the past 5 or 6 years as our consistency has been outstanding, but this annual capitulation in Europe is a scunner.

I agree with what you've said.

The way European competition is set out precludes (for the most part) any form of hope and excitement for the likes of us. I mean after this there was another fucking round just to get into it proper. Yet finish 5th or 6th in a powerful European league and there's a high chance your ability (as a consequence of ridiculous finance) will se you there. It's murder.

This is probably more of a rant than an educated post, but that's the mood in in.

I've loved the past 5 or 6 years as our consistency has been outstanding, but this annual capitulation in Europe is a scunner.

I know what you're saying. But... even with the UEFA draw manipulation, we were still a baw hair off getting what turned out to be a game in Luxembourg. We'd have had a massive support there, and have been in with a reasonable shout of going through... with the possible prize of a glamour tie and earning some real dough in the play-off round. We'd have had a different perspective on European fitba' if that had all come to pass. Small margins.

Anyway... bring it on again next year I say.

• Like 2

I know what you're saying. But... even with the UEFA draw manipulation, we were still a baw hair off getting what turned out to be a game in Luxembourg. We'd have had a massive support there, and have been in with a reasonable shout of going through... with the possible prize of a glamour tie and earning some real dough in the play-off round. We'd have had a different perspective on European fitba' if that had all come to pass. Small margins.

Anyway... bring it on again next year I say.

Totally agree with this, it could've been very different with a better draw.

When I was a young fan Motherwell qualifying for Europe was just a dream, so to have done it so many times for me is great.

I've done 4 away trips in Europe & have loved them all, & hopefully will do more in the future.

You only qualify for Europe on the back of a successful season so I'll be more than happy to be having this discussion again this time next year.

• Like 1

People need to cheer up and be a bit more realistic.

Would people really rather have a 3rd Rnd League Cup tie than Europa League football?

We've been a bit unlucky with the draws in that we drew significantly better teams but it's still a hell of a lot more exciting than playing Morton in front of 3,000 fans.

For an away tie against a top Russian side tonights performance wasn't even that bad and we were two mistakes away from being the only team to win on that ground in donkeys ages.

Last season is over. We are rebuilding a team and frankly the level of negativity after 3 matches is actually preposterous.

• Like 1

Last season is over. We are rebuilding a team and frankly the level of negativity after 3 matches is actually preposterous.

100 times this.

It will take a few months before we get the best out of this bunch of players and even then we might be adding one or two more in the mid-season window.

I know patience isn't a virtue for many fans, but a wee bit of realism is required here.

I don't know what you are talking about with regards to realism and negativity. I'm positive about my teams chances in the league this year and I'm also realistic when it comes to our chances in Europe.

I'm questioning the point of the whole charade of euro fitba' where we are lined up as patsies for (in general) middle of the road sides.

Thank you.

Disappointed to be left with "what ifs" again, but once again it just highlights the difference between the level of football. Going up against teams like Kuban, Pana, Levante, Steaua etc, the individual mistakes that we get away with in the SPL will be punished severely. It's gutting that we were essentially undone by the same thing as Pana and Levante last year, but there's not an awful lot the manager can do about that.

It would be good to get a run of games in Europe, but to do that we either need a kind draw, or to go in at an earlier stage by finishing lower. As galling as it may be, I'd rather we finish as high up the league as possible, challenge in the domestic cups, and treat European football, when it's here, as a bonus.

I'm for summer fitba. Fix a lot of those problems. We will get 2 months rather than 4 weeks to create sign and train a team.

Its astonishing I think we held our own (to a degree) considering the array of line ups we had to try out in friendlies.

At the same time knowing how it usually goes i'm surprised SMC didn't just say go for it in the 1st leg, Think the Hibs thrash fest affected his thinking and ive no idea why.

Europe shmurope. The most annoying thing for me is I had the cash for the away leg but never expected it to cost THAT much to travel!

If we get put out of Europe next season again I'll be fairly pleased as it will mean we will have had another fantastic domestic season.

• Like 1

1375993225[/url]' post='392737']

Europe shmurope. The most annoying thing for me is I had the cash for the away leg but never expected it to cost THAT much to travel!

If we get put out of Europe next season again I'll be fairly pleased as it will mean we will have had another fantastic domestic season.

In the same boat, so fair point well made.

I don't think folk are being negative, they are just questioning the point when compared against the structure of what we are up against (and bearing in mind we are questioning right after a defeat so apply the apporproate amount of salt) The club themselves have basically said we may make a loss as a direct consequence of this competition. That's wrong if that's the case. It's not to say we don't want to be in the competition. It's not to say we are negative. It's just frustrating, I hope we finish as high as we can again. But we can moan, especially given the bad draw, the result, the circumstances leading to the match regrding squad. and our shared desire to win.

Forums aren't meant to be academic, sometimes its the best (and probably the only place) for us to moan.

• Like 1

Well that's it done for another year (providing we can finish in the top 3 again this season).

But my feelings on European fitba' now is 'what's the point?'

I was only a boy when we played against Katowice, Dortmund, Havnar and Mypa, and while I was at all the home games, I had no chance of growing abroad. So it was a huge thing for me and I suppose the whole fan base when we qualified under the McGhoo.

The crowd we took to nancy was sensational for a club our size. I drove through the night to Bristol to get a flight to Paris, followed by a train to Nancy and the same on return, because I wasn't prepared to miss the tie.

The following season, I went to Lanelli on the Joker bus, and went to Bucharest on my Todd (although I met up with folk on the way there and in the city itself), spending money that I really shouldn't have. I then spent two days on the bus to Odense, again money was tight, but I didn't want to miss what could have been our last away adventure for a long time, so I bit the bullet and booked up by myself again.

However, I didn't entertain the prospect of trips to levante, Athens or Russia, and to be honest swithered about buying tickets for our home tie against Kuban.

There are a few things that piss me off about it all, when we meet a team of a certain standard we know we are getting fucked out, the year we played against Llanelli, the Albanian mob and then Bucharest was at least entertaining, but going straight in against a club with resources that are multiple times what ours are is soul-destroying particularly after a great season last year and ultimately the destruction of that side. Added to that is the financial side of things, the Club works its arse off all year to be rewarded with a trip to the back of beyond, our arse handed to us and a financial boot in the baws to go along with it.

See! You just highlighted how much progress we have made over the years. We are all now scunnered at a much higher level than we used to be!! :blush:

See! You just highlighted how much progress we have made over the years. We are all now scunnered at a much higher level than we used to be!! :blush:

That's true. I remember being scunnered in the First Division when baldy Dave Smith and his Berwick Rangers team used to park the bus at Fir Park and we couldn't beat them.

For me the main problem is the Champions of Scotland were playing the Champions of Sweden in a pre-pre qualifier for the "Champions" League.

UEFA are corrupt beyond belief and are biased toward the big teams and leagues.

For me, Champions League should be league winners only. EUROPA should be 2nd place and cup winners, with cup winners getting bye to 2nd round and it being a straight up free for all draw on them all like all other cups!

Until that happens - or something other to level the playing field - we will always be European whooping boys im afraid.

• Like 1

I'm by no means a fan of the mhob.

But

The champions of Scotland and previous group stage and last 16 qualifiers shouldn't have three qualification rounds this year. While 3rd & 4th best teams from elsewhere go straight through

In anybody's book that is shite