Motherwell V Partick Thistle 24/8/13

Yabba's Turd

- I find myself repeating this again and again but ZFA offers absolutely nothing. He can't beat a man, he seems unwilling to run into space, he doesn't put a foot in and he gave the ball away numerous times.

I think IF McCall gets his right winger in he will not start ZFA. He is getting a game the now because he is literally the only pace in the entire squad and he plays literally only because of his pace. If we get pace on the right either faddy or vigurs will start left mid and offer more stability off -and on the ball. ZFA will become a decent option off the bench mind.

I think IF McCall gets his right winger in he will not start ZFA. He is getting a game the now because he is literally the only pace in the entire squad and he plays literally only because of his pace. If we get pace on the right either faddy or vigurs will start left mid and offer more stability off -and on the ball. ZFA will become a decent option off the bench mind.

He's not even that fast, or certainly he doesn't use it because he's not willing to take on a man, give and go, or look for the through ball in. Bench him then bring him on if we need an out all in the last 15 mins

Bannigan was quite right to play on. We had the chance to put the ball out while he was on the deck but elected to play on.

Carswell had a really good game and would probably have been my motm had he seen the game out.

Good to get a result but would have been happier with a draw and a better performance. Faddys form is still a worry.

Another terrible match - just happy we clung on in the end for 3pts.

Carswell for me was outstanding motm performance until he had to go off - which incidentally co-incided with Thistle starting to dominate the match.

Thought the defence was solid enough, but how many balls were flung into our box in the last 20 and how often did our keeper venture off his line?

ZFA offers zilch, nadda, zip, nothing. To be fair to the boy he isn't a natural winger and it shows - badly.

Felt Faddy came onto more of a game in the 2nd half but is it only me that finds it soul-destroying to see him trot out to play at right-mid every week? To have a player of his ability, stature and wage packet chasing opposition full-backs to his own by-line doesn't make any sense. Get him in behind the striker!

As for the striker, aye he got a goal today, and you can't fault his effort, other than that I've nothing else to add

1377364844[/url]' post='394328']

Another terrible match - just happy we clung on in the end for 3pts.

Carswell for me was outstanding motm performance until he had to go off - which incidentally co-incided with Thistle starting to dominate the match.

Thought the defence was solid enough, but how many balls were flung into our box in the last 20 and how often did our keeper venture off his line?

ZFA offers zilch, nadda, zip, nothing. To be fair to the boy he isn't a natural winger and it shows - badly.

Felt Faddy came onto more of a game in the 2nd half but is it only me that finds it soul-destroying to see him trot out to play at right-mid every week? To have a player of his ability, stature and wage packet chasing opposition full-backs to his own by-line doesn't make any sense. Get him in behind the striker!

As for the striker, aye he got a goal today, and you can't fault his effort, other than that I've nothing else to add

Can I ask who set up the goal up? The player that contributed zilch, nadda, nothing. Unfair on the lad as one of the very few players that does actually go forward. For sure, still work in progress and things will have to improve.

Progress. Still not where we want to be but progress.

An odd kind of game in a sense where we could quite easily have been three or four up yet were clinging on to the three points by the full-time whistle.

The second goal today was crucial. Had that come through Anier, Lasley or McFadden I think we would have been quite comfortable winners in the end but at 1-0 you are always in danger. I read a tweet last week of the stats of PSG's game which illustrates that perfectly, where they had 17 shots on target to their opponents one - they drew 1-1! Anyway, get that second goal and for the game was won.

I felt we grew as the first half went on, both in terms of confidence and in varying the style of football we were playing. Delighted to see Sutton get off the mark with a well worked move and finish. Thistle looked tidy enough but rarely threatened.

Second half again we were reasonable enough to begin with and were carving out chances. The more we missed however the more you feared we would come to regret it. But basically the backside just fell out out if after about an hour. We may be in danger in of having tunnel vision about this mystical player with pace who is going to make it all, all right, but by God, how we could have done with him in that last half an hour as an outlet to both relieve the pressure and capitalise on Thistle as they pushed players forward.

But in saying that. How many saves of real note did Hollis have to make? Sure they had tonnes of the ball and got into threatening positions but our defence coped admirably with what was thrown at them today and I'm sure both they and McCall will delighted after the public criticism that has come their way of late.

So all in chuffed. Some very good individual displays in patches along the way from Carswell, Lasley, Hutchinson and Anier and a great three points when plenty of our own had written the team off before the game.

Now to build on it and continue that progress.

• Like 1

Poor game but welcome 3 points.

Not much to get excited about on 1st half but thought we made a promising start to the 2nd half as Faddy seemed to have license to move central and got himself in a couple of goal scoring chances. Lasley should have sewn the game up after Anier put it on a plate.

Last half hour was pretty concerning. Not sure if the game changed due to Carswell, Higgy, poor fitness or nerves.

Hopefully see a signing or two this week to provide some much needed creativity.

Thought the first half was encouraging. Carsewell bossed the midfield and we were well in control of the game until he had to go off. No surprise Thistle came onto a game when he went off. Hope his injury isnt serious.

Thought ZFA did well first half and had a great assist for the goal. Disappeared second half and cant complain about being subbed.

Anier was great. He should start every game. Our most dangerous player. Should never have been subbed.

Faddy is trying way too hard and trying to do it all on his own. Needs to relax and just play football. Playing in a more central role would help.

Thought the defence looked much more solid. With Ramsden Hutch and Mick looking so dominant in the air Im not sure why folks think Hollis needs to be coming for cross balls.

Thistle were tidy enough and looked dangerous towards the end but I think a lot of that was our own doing and Im not sure I would swap any of our players for theirs. Hope they do well and stay up as Firhill is a good away day and they are a welcome refreshment to the more familiar opponents.

The game changed when Carswell went off. He was in their for pace, energy and mobility and he was doing an excellent job in the middle of the park closing them down and shutting down the space. Once he went off spaces started opening up for Thistle, we lost our shape and we were pushed further and further back. Hopefully he's back for next week.

Also what about that pass with his shoulder? Lovely stuff.

The good - 1) 2nd half of the 1st half we played with a bit of swagger and were beginning to look like we were going to purr. 2) Created some good chances 2nd half. 3) McFadden until the final shot is beginning to look like the player we know he can be, though his finishing could certainly be better.

The bad - 1) The finishing was poor. Sutton, Lasley and McFadden should all have sealed the deal with us. 2) Far too deep after Carswell went off.

The ugly - The rubbish spouted by Mitch above. McFadden's best game for ages and suddenly he is a past it Brian McClair. Motherwell fans never fail to astound me!

We were left exposed on several occasions when McFadden wasn't tracking back and he wasn't matching the runs at their one twos. At the time, bringing Kerr on seemed a strange substitution but it allowed him to do the legwork and McFadden looked far more dangerous in behind Sutton than in any of his midfield appearances I've seen this season.

I thought maybe Sutton could have gone instead of Anier as we weren't providing any crosses. It would have been interesting to see if he could have made the runs for McFadden.

Delighted but can't believe that we won today. Second half but especially last 30 mins were fucking torture.

WHY?

The 1st 70 minutes there was only one team in it. Thistle were a surprise - only in terms of how poor they were given the media wankfest since the season started.

We dominated possession and should have been out of sight. The game changed when Carswell went off injured and McCall subbed Anier and ZFA. It was plain to see that he was intent on protecting a 1 goal lead and that meant Thistle suddenly had the impetus as we were suddenly sitting as deep as they were in the first 70 minutes.

I thought the defence did very well and so did Sutton. Faddy still off the boil but offered more glimpses today than in past few games.

What is disappointing me is that I had high hopes for both Vigurs and Lawson. So far both have proved somewhat disappointing. Lawson struggled when he came on today. His 1st contribution was to pass to an opposing player. After that he seemd to be on the periphery. Early days, but both have to go some to prove they will be 1st team regulars.

Still when all is said and done we have 3 points and a clean sheet :thumbup: