Motherwell V Partick Thistle 24/8/13

Yabba's Turd

It's worth remembering that he actually got a pretty decent welcome when he came on at first, particularly when you consider he was a fringe player on loan for six months who albeit had one particular moment of magic, did very little else of note. There was a spread of applause across the East Stand and that's far more generous a welcome than many who have contributed more have ever received.

I do remember that and I thought that was a nice gesture. The applause was almost certainly a way of acknowledging his wonder goal last season.

1377433226[/url]' post='394425']

My thoughts on yesterday's game.

Until the goal there really wasn't much going on and the goal when it came was really encouraging as it looked like a reasonably deliberate passage of play from us. Pleased for Sutton to get off the mark. I didn't think he did much else to be honest!

After that I was quite surprised at how much we dominated play. Aniers volley was well executed but the keeper made a good but reasonably comfortable save. He snatched at, or didn't catch right, another couple of chances though but at least got himself in decent shooting positions. I didn't think Thistle offered much at all in the first half at all really and whilst we weren't great we well still well on top.

The second half was a different proposition altogether though. The turning point was a combination of the excellent Carswell going off and the excellent Higginbotham coming on. I can't remember which happened first but all of a sudden we were pegged back and Thistle were allowed far too much room to advance. We still had the best chances to score though and Lasleys miss was really poor to be honest. Still thought he had a great game though.

The last 30 minutes was brutal and nerve wracking to watch! Hollis might not have had a save of note to make but we sat far too deep. I thought the back 4 were excellent. I have been critical of McManus and I'm still not convinced his hearts in it but he was good yesterday. He had a tackle on Forbes at the end that if someone had did that to a Motherwell player I would've been out my seat! Took the ball cleanly but followed through as well! A bit naughty I thought. I thought we gave the ball away continually in this period and were unable to keep the ball at all. Jury is still out on Lawson and Vigurs for me. Kerr at right midfield is no use and that's the second time he's been brought on to play there. He got skinned by Ross Forbes in the right back position at one point also so I'm not sure if he's a right back either! If he's a centre half then playing him in either of those positions is even worse! I'm not sure re-signing him was really what the team needs. The right side was woefully exposed at times in the last 20 minutes.

I thought Faddy was marginally better than he had been the past few games but he is still a passenger. It's quite worrying how out of sorts he looks. His run through on the keeper right at the end where he eventually fell over was Omar Daley-esque. Need to get him off the right wing maybe but he's not contributing anything I'm sorry to say. He looks a shadow of the player we saw at the end of last year. Would it be worth a shout playing Erwin or Moore out there? Can't be any worse.

I'm a big fan of the noise and singing coming from the end section. I love the new song where they all point at each other and throw their tops in the air! However the abuse Higginbotham took from them on mass was embarrassing and disgraceful. There are times when former players returning deserve at bit of stick; and it's all about opinions I suppose, but I thought that, along with the stick Reynolds for instance took to be cringe worthy and does not reflect well on us as a fanbase. In my opinion of course. I can see both sides of the argument for kicking the ball out when someone was injured but I can understand why Thistle didn't put the ball out when they were on the attack. If we were on the attack chasing an equaliser and we put the ball out I would've been raging. It's worth noting Higginbotham returned the ball after that and at the end in the drop ball after the McManus/Forbes tackle.

Oh, and I thought the ref was murder!

Behave. We know you have a hard-on for the largely ineffective Higginbotham...

As for the thinly veiled dig those at the far end of the East Stand, in the play leading up to Carswell being injured, like you, the referee missed the erm, assault on Hutchison in mid flight that directed their ire towards the player before his various gestures to those in view.

No issues with him not putting the ball out of play given our players were originally on the attack with little thought for the stricken player before the opposition retained possession.

As for the McManus tackle, it's a contact sport FFS. Both fully committed and no quarter given, epitomised our defensive performance yesterday. I'd have been raging if our player hadn't challenged so.

• Like 1

Sutton didn't do much else apart from score? You must watch a different game. Most of our chances came through John Sutton.

• Anier's snap shot straight at the keeper comes from Sutton knockdown
  • Anier's chance at the start of the 2nd half he sclaffed wide was from a Sutton knock down
  • Faddy's chance he curled wide at the near post was from Sutton getting to the byline and putting the cross in
  • Lasley's chance came from Sutton holding of the defender and playing the through ball Anier latched on to and subsequently squared to Lasley.

Not to mention he was unlucky that Anier never looked up and saw him free in the box in the early stages of the 2nd half or he could have had another.

That's without mentioning his general work rate and the tireless shift he put in for the team. I thought he played quite well but having just watched the highlights on MFCTV back you can't fail to notice how many times Sutton bullied their centre backs and just how involved he was in most of our good chances.

Still, I imagine some posters on here will still fail to acknowledge his contribution.

• Like 5

It also has to be said that we have the best section of fans in the league. The guys in the end of the East Stand are exceptional. No matter the result they're there for the team. More of us need to follow their lead

Agreed. Paul Lawson misplaced a pass minutes after coming on, and a guy behind me shouts for him to get to fuck. Unbelievable

• Like 1

I think Higginbotham getting the stick he did was largely down to Thistle not putting the ball out. Whether you believe they were right or wrong in not doing that is a debate for another day, but whenever you are on the receiving end there is always an explosion of anger from those fans who feel wronged.

I have no problem at all with Thistle playing on, in fact I think it should be encouraged to leave these decisions to the referee. However, players won't because referees are to inconsistent in deciding when to stop the game. That wasn't a head knock so he was entitled to play on, however in my opinion if a player is down in the penalty box or just outside it the referee should stop the game as it does not take much of a situation for the ball to ricochet to where the stricken player is. Was disappointing Higginbotham reacted though I imagine he was keen to put on a show yesterday as he probably felt he didn't get a fair crack of the whip at Motherwell, something I entirely agree with although when we signed him there was no prospect of us getting McFadden.

We were being fucked for the last 30 minutes. It doesn't matter how positive or negative you are.

Of course it does.

A positive person like me will focus on the 60-70 minutes we were comfortable and the fact we won and kept a clean sheet.

A negative person will moan about fucking everything and concentrate on the last 1/3rd of the game when Thistle upped their game and injury and subs allowed them back into the game.

Plenty of prozac eaters on here.

I recognise we are nowhere near where we were last year, but nor did I I expect us to be after the players we lost in the summer. We are struggling, but IMHO opinion will be better than most teams in the SPL outside Celtic and probably the Dons, ICT and Dundee United.

I prefer to dwell on the positives, when you obviously are a glass half empty kind of person. Probably nothing will change that....

No, just not deluded like you.

I have no doubt that we have an excellent manager who will get the team sorted and we have the potential to be an excellent team. But if you think that the last 30mins weren't utter shite and torture to watch then you haven't got a fucking clue.

As I said delighted with the win and a pretty innocuous post I thought but then there are always dudes like you lurking about on the forum looking to make something out of nothing - pretty sad really.

If anyone is ODing on Prozac its yourself mate.

If anybody thinks that we're not going to be under spells (sometimes long ones) during any 90 minutes of football against teams with similar wage bills then I think that's where the delusion comes in.

If this is then translated to 'pish' or 'torture' and something to throw abuse around on then we really do thin we're watching Madrid.

No, just not deluded like you.

I have no doubt that we have an excellent manager who will get the team sorted and we have the potential to be an excellent team. But if you think that the last 30mins weren't utter shite and torture to watch then you haven't got a fucking clue.

As I said delighted with the win and a pretty innocuous post I thought but then there are always dudes like you lurking about on the forum looking to make something out of nothing - pretty sad really.

If anyone is ODing on Prozac its yourself mate.

Well that is me telt.

I am not wishing to get into a tit for tat spat.

You have your view - I have mine.

I can comment on yours and you can comment on mine.

Time to move on Dosser 1886

If anybody thinks that we're not going to be under spells (sometimes long ones) during any 90 minutes of football against teams with similar wage bills then I think that's where the delusion comes in.

If this is then translated to 'pish' or 'torture' and something to throw abuse around on then we really do thin we're watching Madrid.

Oh FFS and there he is.

• Like 1

Carswell will be our next big player. I've liked the look of him since day 1. I hope we try an extend his current deal as soon as possible.

McCall is aware of his ability and why he was handed a new contract last season - its also the reason why McCall refused to let him go out on loan last year. He has been told that this is a big year for himself - so he needs to try and push on. It will be hard for him due to the signings SMc has made, experienced pros now vying for the same position - but i think he's got the talent to do it

Sutton didn't do much else apart from score? You must watch a different game. Most of our chances came through John Sutton.

• Anier's snap shot straight at the keeper comes from Sutton knockdown
  • Anier's chance at the start of the 2nd half he sclaffed wide was from a Sutton knock down
  • Faddy's chance he curled wide at the near post was from Sutton getting to the byline and putting the cross in
  • Lasley's chance came from Sutton holding of the defender and playing the through ball Anier latched on to and subsequently squared to Lasley.

Not to mention he was unlucky that Anier never looked up and saw him free in the box in the early stages of the 2nd half or he could have had another.

That's without mentioning his general work rate and the tireless shift he put in for the team. I thought he played quite well but having just watched the highlights on MFCTV back you can't fail to notice how many times Sutton bullied their centre backs and just how involved he was in most of our good chances.

Still, I imagine some posters on here will still fail to acknowledge his contribution.

We'd all like our strikers to score 15-20 (even more) goals - however, when you play the way we do - its all about contributing to the team. He may not be fancy - but he does a job and a good one at that - nice to see someone else see the game as I do.

Folk were moaning last year about Higdon not being able to jump (ie the fucking arse bandits who sit in the back row of the last section in the East Stand) and are now moaning that Sutty falls down to easily.......FFS

If someone has their hands on your shoulders - you cant freely jump, to me, that was Higdons downfall - he was happy to jostle with defenders but didnt like going down - Sutton on the other hand has decided to learn from his big bro and go down at every opportunity! We'll get a lot of decisions for us because of that, which means a chance of an attacking set play

Big John Sutton Motherwell's no 9

If someone has their hands on your shoulders - you cant freely jump, to me, that was Higdons downfall - he was happy to jostle with defenders but didnt like going down - Sutton on the other hand has decided to learn from his big bro and go down at every opportunity! We'll get a lot of decisions for us because of that, which means a chance of an attacking set play

On the money that point, it was the one thing I noticed when Higdon entered the team 2 years back, he wasn't as clever with the refs as Sutton. However our downfall then as now is we don't have anyone who threatens the goal from 20 yards plus. With the height we have this season in Hutch, McManus and Kerr I'd be surprised if floaty efforts to the six yard box weren't commonplace.

Sorry to say it but I'd rather have an aged Ronald Kooman than Stevie at LB at present. I think that Scotland call up upset his mojo.