Motherwell V Kilmarnock 31/8/13

Yabba's Turd

Happy with that today. Maybe a bit tougher than it should have been towards the end but delighted with the win which I thought we deserved. Some pretty suicidal defending for their goal, but responded well. To be fair, it never should have been a free kick in the first place. There seems to be a bit more understanding developing in the team, and we looked better in attack than I've seen so far this season. Sutton and Anier took their goals well, and we could have had it wrapped up with several valid penalty claims (I counted 3 at least).

If Ramsden's first yellow was for diving, then it was a disgraceful decision, as it should have been a penalty (either for the push on him, or for the one on Sutton about a second earlier). Unsure about the second, as it looked to me like two players just sliding in for the ball and one getting their quicker, but I didn't have a clear view. Missed his early tackle, so I can't really comment on that.

Yet another terrible refereeing performance. At least two, really bad foul throws, several invented free kicks, multiple strong penalty claims, and a habit of ruining any momentum the match threatened to build. I really worry about how bad it's going to get if the likes of Bobby Madden are the best officials available at the moment.

Ainsworth looked lively, although not really enough to judge he seemed keen to make an impact. Hope to see more over the next few games. Was surprised by him coming on up front though.

Final word just to say how impressed I've been by Stuart Carswell this season. He's really turning into a great prospect. Solid defensively, strong on the ball, and with a wee touch of class about him too. I originally thought he was being groomed to replace Lasley, but I think he's potentially a better natural talent than Lasley, and has the potential to offer an attacking threat a la Nicky Law.

• Like 1

Deserved win, much like last week should have had the game sewn up before we allowed the opposition back into it.

To be honest, I'd forgotten how much I liked big John Sutton the first time round. Great effort today, won lots in the air, showed his strength, his usual power of work and once again when we put a bit of quality into the box he's on the end of it to notch the winner for the 2nd week running. Fair play to Anier, 3 goals in 3 SPFL starts is good going for the new boy, also full of endeavour today.

Carswell was terrific again, he and Lasley must cover some amount of ground between them. Terrific in the engine room. I actually thought that was probably one of Simon Ramsden's best games in a 'Well shirt until he needlessly got himself sent off. Also special mention to Lee Hollis, two really good saves in the last 10 minutes helped secure the points. Hopefully gives him a wee confidence boost going forward.

Again as a team we were functional if not entirely fluid. Still created a number of chances and still winning games which has to be the main positive. There's brief glimpses here and there and we play some good stuff in short bursts but never over a sustained period. I do think sooner rather than later it will 'click' and we'll give someone a doing.

I said these two home games were big and wanted at least 4 points to bounce back with so fair play to McCall and the boys in grinding out 6 points over these two games and hopefully we can kick on from here.

Going to throw it out there with the roiling opinions.

Vigurs sucked today, when compared with expectations thus far. He'll come good, but not today.

Downvote, downvote, downvote. No contradicting opinion, just anonymous downvotes.

It's a bit sad, really. If there was a thoroughly positive comment, or even a discussion as to why I'm wrong, I'd understand, but to just click that wee button with no added commentary just seems a tad small minded.

Credit to Siebs for at least openly disagreeing.

Downvote, downvote, downvote. No contradicting opinion, just anonymous downvotes.

It's a bit sad, really. If there was a thoroughly positive comment, or even a discussion as to why I'm wrong, I'd understand, but to just click that wee button with no added commentary just seems a tad small minded.

Credit to Siebs for at least openly disagreeing.

I think it's just a bit car crash to be honest.

Vigurs was heavily involved in a lot of our good play today. I think he's a class act and when he really beds in he'll be great.

To say he sucked, sucked - and for that to be the major comment you made from that game today sucked also.. Quite incredible really.

Car crash comments on a KFC / Raoul Moat scale

I think it's just a bit car crash to be honest.

Vigurs was heavily involved in a lot of our good play today. I think he's a class act and when he really beds in he'll be great.

To say he sucked, sucked - and for that to be the major comment you made from that game today sucked also.. Quite incredible really.

Car crash comments on a KFC / Raoul Moat scale

The comment that he'll come good, but not today, suggests that I believe that when he beds in, he'll be good.

I watched him cede possession a number of times, play through balls straight to the central defender repeatedly, and drag our entire team infield by possessing no basic knowledge of wing play. He will be a good player, but he's not even vaguely adaptable to the circular hole that we're trying to scud him into at the moment.

He provided zero protection for Hammell, and also provided nothing of tangible worth to our victory.

The major comment that I made is that we won. End of. However we did it is irrelevant, it's three points in the bag.

Six other major comments I could have made

Positive

- We looked more able to create flowing play from the wings infield.

- Sutton and Anier appear to be learning each others' running patterns

- Hollis is really growing into his first team spot.

Negative

- The sending off (which I found ludicrous, but understandable)

- The continuing lack of form from McFadden

- The shocking lack of fitness which causes us to pack up within the final 30 minutes.

Chose not to make those, and savour the victory instead of picking it apart, but I'm not willing to read the idea put forward that Vigurs was a driving force in the win without debate.

A mixed performance today but that said probably our best of the season so far.

Carswell especially and Lasley superb in the middle. Anier chased everything, Vigurs put in his best performance and Sutton gave their young centre half a hard time. Ramsden very good but deserved his red and should have got one earlier. And Hollis was excellent apart from one dropped cross at end which he got away with.

On the other hand Hutchison was very nervy today but that is what happens when you play next to a bombscare.

And McFadden continues to look like he's done. I'm fed up watching him run into players, lose the ball then fling his arms in the air claiming he's been fouled. Some have said he was better today but I thought he was honking and should have been hooked much earlier. He is painfully slow and if it was anyone else, most fans would be crying out for him to be dropped. It is very sad to see, but he is a pale shadow of the player he once was.

Better today. Great? No. But signs things are getting there. Some lovely passing moves that didn't quite come off. Defensively, work to be done but if we can cut out individual errors, it'd go a long way.

Individual performances? Not many true stinkers. Hutchinson had a poor first half. Vigurs and McFadden, while not fantastic, showed nice touches. The challenge will be to get the best out of them, as they're both clearly technically gifted (couple of Vigurs' passes today really impressed me).

For me, guys who just need to keep doing what they're doing. Lasley, Carswell, Sutton, Anier and Ramsden. None of these guys are letting us, or themselves, down.

And finally, Hollis. Whether you think he should be first choice or not, he's making good saves. Does he command his box like Randolph or Ruddy did? No, but bit unfair to be comparing him to guys in the England and Ireland squads. For me, he's a competent SPL keeper. With more experience and games, we might find he develops into more than that. All I know is that the sharp intake of breath you hear when he's called upon can't be helping. Give the guy a run of games before writing him off...

And McFadden continues to look like he's done. I'm fed up watching him run into players, lose the ball then fling his arms in the air claiming he's been fouled. Some have said he was better today but I thought he was honking and should have been hooked much earlier. He is painfully slow and if it was anyone else, most fans would be crying out for him to be dropped. It is very sad to see, but he is a pale shadow of the player he once was.

He's a pale shadow of the player he was last season.

He must be carrying an injury. No one goes that downhill in one close season. He can barely run.

Vigurs sucked today, when compared with expectations thus far. He'll come good, but not today.

Totally agree with you SG. Expect much more from him. Obviously has a lot of ability but looks a yard slow and continually thinks he has much more time on the ball available to him then he actually has.

• Like 1

Wouldn't matter as Killie scored first!! Better now?

It was an own goal though!

A quick look at Paddy Power's terms (picked at random) has this

Own goals: If the first goal is an own goal it does not count as a goal for settlement purposes. All bets on first goalscorer will therefore be settled on the next goal scored. Own goals do not effect the settlement of any bets placed on correct score or other related markets. A goal will be considered an own goal if it is officially recognised as such on the day of the game – subsequent decisions by the dubious goals panels do not affect settlement. - See more at: http://www.paddypower.com/betting/betting-guides/football-betting-guide-goalscorer-markets-explained.html#sthash.eTtGVLMg.dpuf

He's a pale shadow of the player he was last season.

He must be carrying an injury. No one goes that downhill in one close season. He can barely run.

Don't know if you heard Shiels, Craigan and Warnock talking before the match, but both Craigan and Warnock seemed to suggest it was normal that players who are in the 2nd half of their career and miss a bit of preseason take a few weeks to get up to speed. They both been in the game long enough I'll believe them, and very probably the fortnight he has without a game will be just what he needs. Also hopeful he has some envious glances to the Scotland games and it may give him a wee gee up.

We weren't great as some folk are suggesting but remember we weren't great at this time last year either.

Remember the ICT game exactly a year ago? If it wasn't for Randolph that day we would have lost 4-5.

The difference last year from now is we had a top class finisher and we put away most of our chances. Sutton and anier are coming good, we just need more help scoring goals from other areas. We will get there.

Interesting reading some of the posts thus far. It could be argued whether folk are unnecessarily focusing on the negatives or simply highlighting deficiences that can be improved but it's pretty evident that there are some yet to fully commit their faith or belief in the team for whatever reason.

For me it's very much as anticipated in that we are a side growing, evolving, gelling, call it what you will with each passing game. As individuals there are some reaching their "level" quicker than others. I would say we've still got a good way to go yet, and we'll get tripped up along the way, but as a whole things appear to be going in the right direction.

The game had many similarities to last week I thought. We deserved to win over the piece and again made it far more difficult for ourselves than it should perhaps have been. Again you look at chances immediately after the re-start that could have given us a two goal cushion which you suspect would have done much to galvanise ourselves and deflate the opposition.

But we've shown some great character in the last couple of weeks to recover from throwing away the Aberdeen game and not turning up in Inverness. We've then had to face a team that was flying and undefeated in the league in 20 odd matches and then negotiate the ever awkward "backlash" effect of a side yet to win in the league and on the back of a cup defeat to a lower league side.

We've dealt with it all whilst developing as a team.

I'm confident that in comparison to many in the division we have a good measure of ability and when you have that aforementioned character and the battle scarred doggedness that several of our team has we have you are always in with a shout.

• Like 1

Don't know if you heard Shiels, Craigan and Warnock talking before the match, but both Craigan and Warnock seemed to suggest it was normal that players who are in the 2nd half of their career and miss a bit of preseason take a few weeks to get up to speed. They both been in the game long enough I'll believe them, and very probably the fortnight he has without a game will be just what he needs. Also hopeful he has some envious glances to the Scotland games and it may give him a wee gee up.

he is a million miles away from international standard. He might get a friendly appearance to put him onto 50 caps but it will take a miracle to get him in the team on merit.

he is a million miles away from international standard. He might get a friendly appearance to put him onto 50 caps but it will take a miracle to get him in the team on merit.

Got to agree with this. Forget the international team, he should be nowhere near our starting 11 with the way he's playing. His decision making is atrocious for a player of his experience and his fitness is so far behind its unreal. Fair enough he is out of position but he cant even get the basics right e.g making an easy 10 yard pass to put Vigurs through yesterday.

I hope Faddy can get back to even the form of last season as the guy is a legend, but he needs to be put on the bench at present.