• John Sutton
    • Henri Anier
    • James McFadden
    • Zaine Francis-Angol
    • Lionel Ainsworth
    • Paul Lawson
    • Null Vote

Carswell for me again.

Does all the hard graft and dirty work, but at the moment he is also looking like our most composed footballer.

First name on teamsheet for me at the moment.

Carswell was immense today. Broke up attacks, got in their faces, and also looked a real attacking threat. Great performance. Also thought Sutton had a great game, best I've seen of him since he came back, and in tough circumstances, with the ref giving him nothing. Great instinct for his goal, and unlucky not to get a second at one of our many penalty claims.

Two or three candidates stood out for me, all mentioned already.

Sutton. Big John Handsome might not score as many as Higdon did but his workrate, link up play and habit of scoring "strikers" goals means he's crucial. Give him service in the penalty box and he'll score. I make it two goals and an assist so far (but for a great Samson save today and the post against Krasnodar, could be talking four goals). Great game from the big man.

Carswell. I was worried when Lawson signed that once again he'd be stuck on the bench. No slight on Lawson, but I reckon Carswell, like Hollis, has waited for his chance. And he's taken it this season. On current form, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

But I'll go for Lasley. Was everywhere today. I'll admit to thinking that we might see him play less this season as the years caught up with him. Obviously it's early in the season but making me eat my words. In the last few minutes today, he was still charging down the right wing and winning a throw in. And that's before I mention the assist for the first goal...

Didn't realise how good Hollis's saves were when at the ground, but he certainly ensured we got the 3 points at the death. But our midfield engine was outstanding today. Lasley and Carswell were immense and definitely between those two but just went for Lasley.