Jim Gannon

My auntie Bethel would have left a better team than he inherited, given that there was practically no team to speak of when he arrived!

And as already stated he was the right man to rebuild it, McGhee shat himself to rebuild it, still waiting on that German centre half btw, and Broon would never have managed it either so at least give the guy the credit he's due and move on

And as already stated he was the right man to rebuild it, McGhee shat himself to rebuild it, still waiting on that German centre half btw, and Broon would never have managed it either so at least give the guy the credit he's due and move on

Yep, happy enough with that summary. He had to find us a pile of players in the same way as Kampman had to get rid of a pile of players. Both done that job but both failed to move on from there.

• Like 1

Yep, happy enough with that summary. He had to find us a pile of players in the same way as Kampman had to get rid of a pile of players. Both done that job but both failed to move on from there.

One bad month onfield equates to failing to move on does it? For all the Gannon haters can't see why some still defend him, he came in done a very good job job many others would probably have been incapable of and had us playing pretty decent stuff. A few bad results close together against teams we usually struggled against at that time does not equal a failure. Off-field stuff gives his critics plenty ammunition but we didn't have time to find out if he had a plan B. McGhee's failure of anything beyond plan A proved his downfall, Gannon might have been the same, we'll never know.

Tell you what though, I'd wager heavily that we wouldn't have enjoyed anything like our recent success without his input at a crucial time.

• Like 2

One bad month onfield equates to failing to move on does it? For all the Gannon haters can't see why some still defend him, he came in done a very good job job many others would probably have been incapable of and had us playing pretty decent stuff. A few bad results close together against teams we usually struggled against at that time does not equal a failure. Off-field stuff gives his critics plenty ammunition but we didn't have time to find out if he had a plan B. McGhee's failure of anything beyond plan A proved his downfall, Gannon might have been the same, we'll never know.

Tell you what though, I'd wager heavily that we wouldn't have enjoyed anything like our recent success without his input at a crucial time.

An accurate analysis.

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph but there was undoubtedly more to his downfall than a month of bad results. His tenure was the biggest period of unrest at the club since administration and no Motherwell manager in history has ever got their jotters for a bad month on the park.

I'm not a Gannon hater at all by the way- I tip my hat to what he done for us in certain respects - but we are stronger now because he came in when he did but also because he left when he did.

I thought it was the supposed Gannon 'haters' who were the revisionists ;-)

One win in eleven. Last victory came in October. He went after Boxing Day which suggests it was a tad more than one bad month.

There were three games in that spell where the opposition were down to 10 men. One game they were down to nine.

Results were poor. Senior players were alienated. Younger players morale shaken. We were going one way.

I didn't hate the guy, but I was certainly relieved when he went.

I didn't share your relaxed outlook of the time that if it took a season or two in Division One to rebuild for the longer term then it was worth the pain.

I didn't think we needed to drop that far whilst completing the process and would say the evidence of the past few seasons backs that up.

But that said his time was not without success. The beginning of his reign was hugely exciting. He was a breath of fresh air initially and we most certainly benefited from the guys he brought in. The Flamuratari game in Airdrie will always remain of my favourite games of his time. So he does deserve credit for laying foundations, no doubt.

Perhaps if he was more evolution rather than revolution there might have been a different conclusion.

• Like 1

There are many factors to his demise but onfield I wasn't worried at all, we've had worse blips.

I don't need to 'revise' much, his record is nowhere near as bad as the other 'revisionists' out there, stats and lies and all that shite.

His off-field aspects pretty much sealed his fate, results didn't but have been moulded to suit arguments that's what I'm getting at Andy.

I seem to recall something like 2 defeats until Dec, then a horrible run but getting beat aff Hibs, Celtic & Rangers is not that surprising is it? Pretty sure Granpa Broon went through a similar run without much comment.

Went and checked, yer old stats n shit can show 2 defeats in 13 games prior to Dec, that's no' too bad is it? Back to the original point, it had fuck all to do with onfield issues, or at least shouldn't have.And am pretty certain if Magoo had stayed on we'd have gone doon the fuckin' pan with the rebuilding job required.

• Like 1

There are many factors to his demise but onfield I wasn't worried at all, we've had worse blips.

I don't need to 'revise' much, his record is nowhere near as bad as the other 'revisionists' out there, stats and lies and all that shite.

His off-field aspects pretty much sealed his fate, results didn't but have been moulded to suit arguments that's what I'm getting at Andy.

I seem to recall something like 2 defeats until Dec, then a horrible run but getting beat aff Hibs, Celtic & Rangers is not that surprising is it? Pretty sure Granpa Broon went through a similar run without much comment.

Went and checked, yer old stats n shit can show 2 defeats in 13 games prior to Dec, that's no' too bad is it? Back to the original point, it had fuck all to do with onfield issues, or at least shouldn't have.And am pretty certain if Magoo had stayed on we'd have gone doon the fuckin' pan with the rebuilding job required.

You'd think not. Then steelboy will put his slant on it... :dash2:

I think jim gammon had some excellent attributes as a manager, unfortunately his man management skills and commitment to MFC were not among those attributes.

I don't think anyone can argue he brought some very good players to the club who went on to be the spine of our team, alongside the guys he completely alienated. He also brought the best out of some young guys, Forbes and slane immediately spring to mind.

In the transfer market Yassin Mouthakil was the one black mark I can think of.

(I also don't think he was completely wrong about 1 or 2 of the experienced players, although that's maybe more a cultural thing in Scotland...)

Hutch was already at the club but Gannon gave him his debut. The others you listed were all Gannon signings.

Not strictly correct - Gannon played Hutch regularly, but McGhee had already played Hutchinson at right back against Hamilton away....

But I think it's fair to say that Gannon gave him his chance, although McGhee spoke very highly about him so he probably would have got the chance anyway.

Not strictly correct - Gannon played Hutch regularly, but McGhee had already played Hutchinson at right back against Hamilton away....

I stand corrected - I wasn't at the Hamilton game as I had the poor excuse of getting married that day. How did Hutchy get on at right back? I know we won 3-0 that day but can't imagine him as a full back.

Hi folks first time poster here i've been a well fan all of my 26 years and absolutly love it. Gannon was ok up to a point then towards the end was blaming the problems on everybody but himself like the players refs etc. Very surprised that no club will give him a job even as a scout or even the coach of a youth side.

He was right to blame refs though, said in public what we all thought