Jim Gannon

Is that true is it? Not doubting you, just think that's a mental stat if correct...

I also find that hard to believe. I'm sure the Malpas season is the only one since we finished bottom that we averaged less than a point per game (36 from 38 IIRC) and I can't remember Gannons tenure having been that grim.

Malpas has a better win% but lost over half his games in charge (losing 18 out of 35)

Gannon has a slightly weaker win% but lost less than a third of his games in charge (losing 5 out of 17)

Gannon had a better points per game stat (1.18) vs Malpas (1.06).

EDIT: That's based on the stats on wiki, but I imagine they are correct.

The biggest disappointment for me from the Gannon era was not from the man himself but rather the disappointing way in which the young lads he brought into the team failed to live up to their early promise. Someone said earlier that the game against Flamuratari was a favourite and it's the same for me, that whole time was a fairly exciting time to be a 'Well fan and we looked to have a team full of bright looking prospects coming through. However, for one reason or another most failed to make the grade.

Steven Saunders- A bright prospect who even managed to blag a full Scotland cap, no doubt his development was stunted by a series of injuries. Since been released and struggling to break into Ross County's team.

Jonathan Page- Never really established himself as a first team regular and was more of a squad utility man. Released and after a short spell at Accies he's now struggling to get into the Morton team on a regular basis.

Shaun Hutchinson- Very good prospect who's put his injury problems behind him to be a key player for Motherwell. Will no doubt play at a higher level than the SPFL soon.

Ross Forbes- After a very promising start under Gannon he fell so far out the picture in his final season he made just 6 appearances and just 1 SPL start. Now back in the SPL as a squad player at Thistle.

Jamie Murphy- Along with Hutchinson the only real success. All time European top scorer, over 200 games, 50 goals and a(small) six figure fee when he left.

Bob McHugh- Excellent record a youth level and indeed notched 2 goals in his first 6 games under Gannon. Four years and just four more goals later we're still waiting on Bob to force his way into the team, still has time but has been given two starts by McCall this season as a show of faith and struggled in both.

Paul Slane- Fuck knows where he is? Last seen being released by Celtic and blowing his severance package on drugs and prostitutes, although I know he was training with us in February. Think he's currently recovering from a hip operation and might if he's lucky be given one more chance to salvage some sort of footballing career. The most talented of the bunch and he's the only one without a club.

The other lesser seen players that played under Gannon like Archdeacon, Meechan and Pollock all seem to have disappeared from senior football.

Really thought at the time we had an excellent group of young players coming through who'd go on to make up the basis of our team for the next few years but only really Murphy and Hutchinson done so(although Saunders was a regular before he got crippled). Maybe looking back they weren't quite as good as I thought they were but to be honest I fair enjoyed watching them back then and I'm quite disappointed how it ended up at Fir Park for most of them.

Anyway Gannon, was a bit of a knob but he did give a lot of our youth team a chance and brought in some excellent players. Although results weren't always the best if I'm honest I still quite enjoyed his spell in charge, on the pitch anyway. Certainly was no where near as depressing as the Malpas season, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Malpas has a better win% but lost over half his games in charge (losing 18 out of 35)

Gannon has a slightly weaker win% but lost less than a third of his games in charge (losing 5 out of 17)

I think you've divided Malpas' numbers the wrong way around- 36 from 38 is an average of 0.95 points per game.

What are Gannon's stats for throwing away a lead by making completely mental, almost random, personnel, tactical and formation changes when we are dominating the match?

I'm guessing somewhere about 50% mark.

I think you've divided Malpas' numbers the wrong way around- 36 from 38 is an average of 0.95 points per game.

That would be true if the stats I looked at hadn't read that he won 10 and drew 7 from 35. By my reckoning that is 37 points from 35 games.

If wiki has those stats wrong, then I take no responsibility

That would be true if the stats I looked at hadn't read that he won 10 and drew 7 from 35. By my reckoning that is 37 points from 35 games.

If wiki has those stats wrong, then I take no responsibility

You could be right then. Did he get hunted before the end of the season perhaps? 36/38 is the full league campaign that year.

You could be right then. Did he get hunted before the end of the season perhaps? 36/38 is the full league campaign that year.

I honestly don't remember - I seem to have blanked out that season!

Now I'm at home I'll have a poke around the statto sites.

He did stay until the bitter end, a 0-0 draw at Tannadice was his last game. I remember someone telling me they picked their seat at Tannadice so they could abuse him. Can't mind who it was though.

That's right! He was asked to leave the stadium. Can't mind who it was, but he was a devilishly handsome chap.

On another point, a clear indicator of how badly things were going for him in terms of the support was that we were housed upstairs that day instead of downstairs even though there was only one man and his dog there.

my favourite bit was when he was writing letters to hugh dallas and moaning about not getting a reply then the sfa produced the proof of recorded delivery so gannon changed his story to say he just hadn't got round to reading them. Sending lasley out to warm up after using 3 subs at pittodrie was a highpoint as well, never seen that before or since.

Gannon was entertaing, malpas was just depressing.

I remember the start of the Jim Gannon era with a lot of hope and excitement. The first couple of month or so went really well and things were looking good, young players coming through and the team playing well.

However I think some folk are forgetting how bad it actually was after that initial period. While his sacking was mainly down to factors away from the results on the pitch, the team were absolutely shocking in that period.

Gannon won only 1 of his last 10 games at Motherwell, conceding 25 goals!

His head was stuck so far up his own arse that despite shipping goals for fun he never once in an SPL match started with Craigan and Reynolds. (As far as I remember)

The first thing Brown did when he came in was revert back to Craigan and Reynolds in the centre of defence, the result? 2 goals conceded in the next 10 SPL games.

I fully believe that if Gannon hadn't got the bullet, the slide would have continued and we'd have been in serious trouble.

He did stay until the bitter end, a 0-0 draw at Tannadice was his last game. I remember someone telling me they picked their seat at Tannadice so they could abuse him. Can't mind who it was though.

Aye, a dig around the internet shows that he officially joined us on May 17th 2006 and was given the boot on June 1st, 2007. So he did have a full season in charge.

In which case his SPL points average was exactly 1 per game (38 from 38 games).

i remember leaving east end park that night thinking we were certs for the drop,that was probably the worst performance ive ever seen from a motherwell team and the whole time malpas was leaning on the side of the dugout not having a scobby what to do.i remember skippy getting sent off im pretty sure reynolds got sent off too