Scottish Football Clubs Alcohol Ban To Be Reviewed

gilmour

A lager pump/chiller doesn't take up much space, the barrels might

Chiller under counters at kiosks, barrels in some dead space under pie ovens or the like

8ft high cheap panels along the railings behind the last row of seats in each section

That would cover the basics

Do I see it happening? Probably not

The club can't even make the cooper a decent option pre/post match for those of us looking at options

Have to agree with that standing areas are a better way forward than bringing bevvy back. Think about some of more volitile games we have in Scotland like the edinburgh derby you add bevvy tae that it would be a matter of time before it all kicked off and the bevvy would be blamed instantly and banned again ! Pointless bringing it back

It's not the first time there have been calls for its reintroduction. John Boyle I'm sure had similar views whilst chairman and there was an MSP a few years ago, the name John Park springs to mind, who was pushing it too.

I would support it in terms of the principle that if it's good enough for a Glasgow Warriors fan to watch a game with a beer then it's good enough for a football fan too. It was surely ludicrous before Warriors moved to Scotstoun that in a fitba stadium on a Friday night fans could get a beer but less than 24 hours Thistle fans were denied that same luxury.

It's much the same at concerts at Hampden where thousands can be standing in the dark watching a gig, but half the amount aren't allowed to stand during a game in the same arena and potentially face legal sanctions if they do.

There's the financial aspect that will appeal to clubs and there was an argument from Parks that police and stewards would benefit by easing the traditional ten to three rush.

But I can't see it happening to be honest. A liberating measure where alcohol is involved goes against many recent initiatives like dry football trains, licensing changes and attempts to introduce minimum pricing.

1378747441[/url]' post='395554']

Have to agree with that standing areas are a better way forward than bringing bevvy back. Think about some of more volitile games we have in Scotland like the edinburgh derby you add bevvy tae that it would be a matter of time before it all kicked off and the bevvy would be blamed instantly and banned again ! Pointless bringing it back

And they don't have volatile games down south or elsewhere in the world? Have a word with yourself.

Not saying other countries don't have volatile games i'm just saying as a nation we don't exactly have a great relationship with drink, i include myself in that cause there is a few games where i have been drunk out ma heed and had the polis on my case especially up at Inverness, i don't see the need for it back in stadiums thats all, fans do enough drinkin before and after the game

Football supporters classed as 3rd class citizens............feck me why cant we have a beer at half time/in the ground before the game starts ???????..........:cheers: as per Engerland.

Not saying we have developed enough as a nation for 90 minutes drinking during a match............:wallbash:

just imagine it at the 'Arc.......warm flat/over priced lager !!!:thumbup:

Some people on here have totally shot this idea down already, its a review looking into the possibility of reintroducing alcohol and how it would be done. This will give the clubs some very badly needed revenue and I'm all for that as well as enhancing the experience for those that want a drink at the match. " warm beer, no space and overpricing" may be factors but lets wait and see what the review says first before ripping the idea the shreds people.popcorm1.gif

Football supporters classed as 3rd class citizens............feck me why cant we have a beer at half time/in the ground before the game starts ???????..........:cheers: as per Engerland.

Not saying we have developed enough as a nation for 90 minutes drinking during a match............:wallbash:

just imagine it at the 'Arc.......warm flat/over priced lager !!!:thumbup:

Not been to a ground where you can drink throughout the match on the mainland (that egg chasers game may well be different), so that's that one ruled out. It's offered in a regimented way with regards to timings and I've yet to come across the claims made regarding poor fare, lairyness et all.

Pricing is competitive rather than over priced, having the paying customers in the stadiums earlier - achieving matchday revenues way and above what we can expect as the clubs want the business over local licensed premises by offering decent product/prices.

Issue we'd currently have is the lack of facilities.

Fair point, well made gilmour...

I really can't see any reasonable objection to having the same rules as in England, if Millwall fans can be trusted to have a drink in the stadium why can Scottish match goers. Great additional revenue stream and added value to the match day experience (for some). Even if the pints were slightly overpriced I could still see myself buying one to nurse pre-match and during half time.

I think the big stickler for this could be that the powers that be and the lawmakers (and half the country for that matter) see Scottish football as Celtic v Rangers (even still), and drinking at these matches may be a big put off for them. However, if they were intelligent about the rule making, licenses for certain fixtures could be revoked due to disorder etc. What's really needed is a sensible and well thought-out review (which hopefully it will be), the result of which should in my view recommend the same set up as in English matches.

As with regards to facilities at fir park, with the promise of a considerable hike in match day revenues I'm sure the club would quickly find a solution. Might be bad for business for Chapmans mind you, do they do kebabs?

Hell will have tae freeze over before the SNP government allow this tae happen anyway, not only dae they not want us drinking at fitba they are trying tae stop us drinking all together with minimum pricing etc. personally i wouldn't huv a problem with it coming back but i like the fact we can't then after the final whistle everybody piles out FP down tae their respective boozers daniels the leccy etc and sit with a pint and disect the game we've just watched.

I really can't see any reasonable objection to having the same rules as in England, if Millwall fans can be trusted to have a drink in the stadium why can Scottish match goers.

They can't be trusted though. They have the right, but they can't be trusted. Granted it was a few years ago, but the last Milwall game I was at (where booze was on sale inside the stadium), a large group of their fans ripped off the seats and started chucking them onto the pitch at the end of the game.

They can't be trusted though. They have the right, but they can't be trusted. Granted it was a few years ago, but the last Milwall game I was at (where booze was on sale inside the stadium), a large group of their fans ripped off the seats and started chucking them onto the pitch at the end of the game.

The difference being that in England they won't overreact and change the law because of one or two groups of fans.

Trouble in once match in Scotland saw the ban coming in to force. As it was the only match that matters in Scottish football and nobody else matters.

The difference being that in England they won't overreact and change the law because of one or two groups of fans.

Trouble in once match in Scotland saw the ban coming in to force. As it was the only match that matters in Scottish football and nobody else matters.

This.

I for one see this as a very welcome and long overdue review of a ruling that is not only outdated but draconian towards football supporters, given many other sports and events can already enjoy the right to have a beer should they so wish. There has been no serious disorder at Scottish football matches for many years now, we ourselves even witness police free matches. In my opinion the right to a beer before and at half time is not going to drastically alter the behaviour of crowds but it will bring in additional revenue and enhance the product sold to many fans therefore should be encouraged.

I would however echo the sentiment that safe standing should be explored beforehand. We can implement it in Scotland as there is no specific law against it and it looks like Celtic will be first to do so, but the obvious deterrent for a club like ours is as always, the cost.

This.

I for one see this as a very welcome and long overdue review of a ruling that is not only outdated but draconian towards football supporters, given many other sports and events can already enjoy the right to have a beer should they so wish. There has been no serious disorder at Scottish football matches for many years now, we ourselves even witness police free matches. In my opinion the right to a beer before and at half time is not going to drastically alter the behaviour of crowds but it will bring in additional revenue and enhance the product sold to many fans therefore should be encouraged.

I would however echo the sentiment that safe standing should be explored beforehand. We can implement it in Scotland as there is no specific law against it and it looks like Celtic will be first to do so, but the obvious deterrent for a club like ours is as always, the cost.

We don't need new safe standing laws, we already have safe standing up the Deep End due to sensible stewarding and a willingness to listen on the part of the club. Converting any part of the stadium is an unnecessary cost in light of this.

I love that people imagine there is some massive cultural divide between Scotland and England, as you pass Gretna suddenly people become more drunk, and these drunk folk become more violent.

Utter nonsense. Plenty of folk get spangled at games in England and manage to make it through the day. Plenty have a couple of beers before the game in the stadium, and a collection of them probably shouldn't, but somehow anarchy does not reign, and does not destroy football as we know it.

Get the beers in, make some money.

In the 2011 report, Scots adults buy 23% more alcohol than their UK counterparts.So there is definitely a difference once you cross the border.

We can argue whether that leads to worse behaviour at a game (and statistically you would think it at least increases the risk), but there is definitely a difference between Scotland and England.

In the 2011 report, Scots adults buy 23% more alcohol than their UK counterparts.So there is definitely a difference once you cross the border.

We can argue whether that leads to worse behaviour at a game (and statistically you would think it at least increases the risk), but there is definitely a difference between Scotland and England.

Indeed, and while there has been a decline, as I was mentioning, the culture, particularly in footballing terms which is what we're talking about, is almost no different. Aside from the fact that at the highest level in Scotland, there actually is a culture, and it is good.

When i started going to games here i was amazed you could get beer at anytime not just half time etc. When someone's down injured doing ten forward rolls you could nip to the booths & get a beer. But pretty soon the novelty wears off and you can no longer justify paying the inflated prices for a beer in a plastic cup. Football's expensive enough without paying a fortune for a drink.