Dundee Utd V Motherwell 22/9/13

GazzyB

Good point. Enjoyed watching that, started off brilliantly and looked really comfortable. Great play by ZFA and good touch turn and hit by anier. Shite start to the 2nd half - wtf was going on allowing that boy to run 70 yards in a straight line to goal???

Anyway ridiculous strike from Lionel to get the point. Brave to drop Faddy but looked tidy up front when he came on.

I would bin the idea of Faddy right mid and just rotate 2 from 3 up front, Sutty, Anier and Faddy on form and fitness. All 3 will get a game every week just a matter of who starts.

Bit disappointed not to take 3pts but a draw was probably fair.

Unbeaten in 4, 10pts from 12, & we're playing some good stuff at times. Things much rosier after the doom & gloom that followed the 2 successive defeats.

Both our goals today were of the highest quality, a joy to watch.

& what about Keith's free kick? Deserved a goal, what a strike!

Took a bit of time to explode into life but that was a really good entertaining game of football. Thought we had the better of the first half without being brilliant with the exception of the class goal. Angol's run was an absolute highlight and unlike when RObertson did it in the 2nd half he was challenged and used a combination of power and skill to get through and Anier's finish was pretty good too. Second half we contributed to our own problems with poor poor defending although the forward play by United was good. I don't really understand why Ramsden was in such an offensive position for the first one when we were 1-0 up, that is where I'd expect my right back to be ten minutes from the end if we're 1-0 down. The second one was a super break but the lack of a challenge from anyone in claret and amber was soul destroying. We took a few minutes to respond but when we did, we responded well. Lasley's free kick was the turning point in the game as it was from that near miss you could see the belief coming back and Ainsworth's hit was as sweet as a nut and got us the deserved point. Both teams had chances after that but was encouraging that even as the away team we were dictating the play and they were happy to hit us on the counter. Certainly we didn't have the hanging on by the seat of our pants we've had in the last three games. All in that is an excellent point away to an improving team.

Also, after the clowns we've had in the last few games, nice to have a referee who seemed to understand the game and was consistent throughout.

A good away point and a good performance apart from switching off to allow Robertson a 70 yard run. Could've won it with Lasley's marvellous free kick and Sutton's header at the death. Still we definately seem to be gelling again. Im confident we'll build on this point which with a wee bit of luck could've been 3. :cheers:

Solid point and an enjoyable game.

Thought we were in control at ht but fully anticipated United to be a different side in the 2nd half. Two good goals and another encouraging performance from ZFA. Sutton and Anier a handful throughout.

Don't think we have found the right balance in midfield yet and we were cut open with alarming ease. Would like to see us returning to a conventional 442 with both Lasley and Carswell sitting. Vigurs yet to show any hint of improvement IMO.

2 absolutely outstanding goals from us this afternoon and some decent play at times also, probably the best I've seen us all season actually and some fine individual performances also. A draw might have been a fair result all in all but we also had a free header from McManus in the first half that went just wide plus Aniers shot that went over, not to mention Lasleys brilliant free kick hitting the post! Perhaps we have a case that we could've won it? That said, Uniteds goals from our point of view were terrible. The first one it looked as if the player running with the ball should've been closed down a lot earlier and I remember thinking Hollis maybe should've done better? A few news reports now stating that also. Their 2nd one whilst from their point of view was a fantastic run and finish; how the hell can a player be allowed to run from box to box without being challenged?!?!? Really poor. Game was then really open after that.

Liked the look of Ainsworth and not just for the goal. Put in a few really good crosses and a few good runs inside also. He appears to like to hit an early cross also which I'm a fan of.

Thought Faddy looked sharp when he came on and I believe it was the right decision to drop him, and then also correct to play him up front/through the middle when he was brought on.

Vigurs looked decent at times in the first half and is certainly capable of great bits of skill and passes. However he seriously needs to up his work rate though.

Hollis could've done better with the first goal and had a few shaky moments during pass backs. He's glued to his line for everything as well. I would be interested to see what Neilsen could bring to the team.

Thought the ref believed there was only one team on the park at times and seemed to respond to calls from the home fans a lot. Carswell was the victim of a really late clatter in the first half and Sutton in the 2nd which both deserved cards.

Hollis could've done better with the first goal and had a few shaky moments during pass backs. He's glued to his line for everything as well. I would be interested to see what Neilsen could bring to the team.

The pass backs that were never to be sent his way or hit far to hard at hime?

You mean glued to his line, despite the fact the ones he should have came and collected he did, perfectly.

• Like 2

Vigurs looked decent at times in the first half and is certainly capable of great bits of skill and passes. However he seriously needs to up his work rate though.

As stated above -

Watching him leaving Robertson free to run on and score reminded me of him against us last year at Ross County -as above needs to up the work rate.

Also thought Ramsden was dozy getting back for 1st goal.

2 great goals from Well but we could have won this.

Lasley admitted to sloppiness on his part at first goal - tried a world class crossfield pass

Watching my recording of today's game. Good to see McCall congratulating every individual player in the dressing room after the game.

Thought we totally outplayed them first half and to be honest i felt we should have been 2 up at half time. Second half they were always going to come back into it but it was 2 really bad goals from our point of view. First one was Lasley trying a world class cross field pass to Ramsden which left him out of position and the second was horrendous that the boy ran 70 odd yards without any of our players getting near him. But i would have took a draw before and actually think its the best we have played all season and the team seem like they are starting to gel which is good. But the real question after watching today's game has got to be, When did Keith learn to hit a free kick like that??notworthy.gif

I'm a Vigurs fan he'll come good eventually. Lasley was fantastic today but as foghorn says it was his pass that led to Utd's first goal and he should have closed down Robertson for the 2nd. Decent game, decent point roll on Livi on Wednesday

I am also a Vigurs fan. He is a good footballer and for the most part picks out good passes and his crossing from corners is generally solid.

BUT

He is very prone to lapses, is quite slow and concedes possession all too easily. No-one really covered themselves in glory for the United 2nd goal, but you could see Vigurs give up the chase which was very disappointing. He needs to do better or he may find himself dropped to the bench.

I would start him v Ross County for no other reason than ex players have a habit of scoring against former teams..

Echo all thats been said above. Totally in command in the first half and could have been 2 or 3 goals up. United upped their pace in the 2nd half which I expected but to lose 2 goals like that is just not on.Showed Ramsden's lack of pace up a bit and quite a lot of United's attacks were coming down that flank. Weathered the storm and came right back into the game and could consider ourselves unlucky not to win over the piece.

A special thanks to the United catering staff for charging £2.50 for a soft drink poured from a 500ml bottle into a paper cup, possibly the most flat,warm revolting drink I've ever had at a game.

To be fair though it was worth it when the wee blonde haired girl behind the counter asked me if I would hold my pies till she grabbed my coke.laugh1.gif

Missed the 1st half as I was at the lad's game so flying up the road at HT to get the 2nd half - put on radio to see how it went in the 1st - Richard Gordon was talking the game up and our performance before asking Fud Young to join in.

He fecking slaughtered the game and wasn't impressed - got the impression that even Richrd Gordon wanted to tell him he's a fud ! I can only go with what I saw in the 2nd half along with other comments, and almost all, including the Sportscene guys were commenting on it being a good game. No doubt the Fud was happier when we were 1 down, but can only imagine his despair when Ainsworth scored.

For my own part, disappointed we only got a point, but there are positives to take from the game - as others have mentioned though, two very poor goals to lose, and avoidable, but beforehand, would've taken the point.

Home game next week, and these are the games we have to win, so hopefully onward and upward :notworthy:

MON RA DOSSERS

Bring on County now, they might have came back to beat Hearts but this lot are there for the taking, as i said before 4 points from United away and County at home Would be a great return and i will defiantly be putting at least a fiver on Vigurs for first goal against them next week

We should be looking for 7 points out of the next 4 games in my opinion.

This is probably the kiss of death but our recent home record is excellent, only 2 defeats in our last 16 home league matches.

Fingers crossed we keep up that excellent home form against Ross County and Hearts but we seem to struggle against bottom 6 teams...

I wasn't impress with Vigurs at all, yes he made some good passes but in the second half it was clear he had been give a job to go in the centre of the park but he just wasn't up for it or capable of it and I was glad to see McCall take him off

may be a spell on the bench will help increase his work rate and commitment on the park

Couple belters scored! A couple horrendous goals conceded. Never saw that game, only the highlights but from what I can see and from what I've been told, we should have finished the game early on!

Surprised this hasn't been touched on yet, but I thought the Black away kit look better with white shorts and socks? Perhaps it provided the touch of C&A that the strip badly needed! Looked quite classy, rather than boring and dull!