Livingston V Motherwell 25/9/13

Tweed

Well, first domestic cup tie in the season and we haven't had a cup tie success since we thumped Morton 6-0 19 and a half long months ago.

However, this is by far the easiest one we have had since then and serious questions will be asked if we fail this time.

For the team I would like McCall to make three outfield changes from yesterday which is Sutton out, McFadden in; Vigurs out, Ainsworth in and Lasley out, Lawson in.

Purely as against a weaker opponent it could play Faddy into the season and letting him be up top gives him his best chance. Ainsworth deserves a start after yesterday. And finally the Lasley one is just based on him being 34 and three games in seven days.

Additionally I think it would be prudent to give Neilson game time although Hollis has done enough to remain number one for me.

• Like 3

As obviously one with a long memory, Steve Diggle, points out talk of an easy win for Motherwell in Cup ties has gone awry on plenty of occasions before.

In fact we need only look back to the previous round where at one stage there was barely a top flight team in the lead, for a warning of what could happen if the attitude isn't right.

But I do hope that come the end of it, it's a fixture we'll have won relatively comfortably and will have benefited from seeing three or four of our squad players get a run out. Which three or four, or perhaps more, is up for debate. There are cases to be made for pretty much of all them, just unlikely to be all of them at the same time.

Some good memories of games there, the 5-0 in the League Cup a highlight, though nods to Kevin McBride's injury time goal around New Year and a double(treble?) from Richie Foran in an early season win come to mind too.

In fairness I can see why some are fairly confident, under McCall our record against SFL teams in the cups(apart from 'that' game at Ibrox) has been fantastic.

Dundee(a), Stranraer(a) Clyde(a), Queens Park(h) & Morton(h)..

5 Wins

20 goals scored

0 conceded

McCall usually strikes the right balance between first team players and fringe players in these games and I don't think he'll allow the players to take Livi lightly. Although it's the cup and anything can happen etc... If we approach this with the right manner we should be winning this one.

Easy tie

Weak opposition

That's the kinda chat that bites your arse in the league cup

This is the sort of game that has Bob McHugh's name stamped all over it. It would give the boy some much needed first team football, and show any Partick Thistle scouts what to expect when they sign him next season. ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

This is the sort of game that has Bob McHugh's name stamped all over it. It would give the boy some much needed first team football, and show any Partick Thistle scouts what to expect when they sign him next season. ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

He'd have a lot to live up to at Firhill given Lawless' SPFL goal tally (total of 2; both against Ross County) :popcorn:

Don't think I've been to Livingston since 2006 when I'm pretty sure Reynolds made his debut (could be wrong). Which train station is best to get off at baring in mind I'll be walking to stadium (or taxi if needs be). Visiting fans information I can find says the stadium is basically bang in the middle of both

He'd have a lot to live up to at Firhill given Lawless' SPFL goal tally (total of 2; both against Ross County) :popcorn:

Bob has nothing to fear, Lawless will be dropped or punted, and McHugh will take up the mantle as Thistle's first choice striker. As for Ross Forbes, he will be given the job of polishing Bob's boots. ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

Only ever got off at Livi South mate, but it's a fair trek if you're walking. 20 mins maybe more? Never got off at Livi North mind you.

The Centre is roughly equal distance, although a lot easier walk from Livi North (walk of train, over bridge (if coming from west) up to Alderstone Road, follow that then well there is the stadium. 15 min sober, a lot longer drunk

Thanks, take it there's a taxi rank at North?

The walk from Livingston North is much more straight forward than from South, and there's definitely a taxi rank there too.

As for the game, I think we should be confident of a win, but not thinking it's a case of just turning up. Went to watch Livingston in pre-season and they were utter pish. Admittedly it was pre-season so you can't take much from that but they really had absolutely nothing. Simon Mensing played centre-back and played more of the ball than anyone else; any team having him as their creative outlet is going to struggle. Their top player Scougall was meant to be away in the summer but they seem to have done well to hang on to him. As promising as he might be I don't think he's anything Carswell, Lawson or Lasley can't handle!

Hopefully McFadden, Vigurs and McHugh can get a bit of playing time and prove themselves. Should a good away cup tie, especially if we get the win we're capable of. Been a long time since I was at Almondvale for a well game- still got fond memories of Kevin McBride's winner on Hogmanay, what a day that was as a 14 year old.