Motherwell V Ross County 28/9/13

Yabba's Turd

McCall said on Friday that someone tweaked their hamstring during training. Assume that was McFadden then?

I thought he was having a decent enough game. Look forward to seeing him and Ainsworth playing together.

That was my initial impression, however having listened to the clip of his interview from MFCTV, I think it was Vigurs. He mentions that he passed a late fitness test.

Sadly I think McFadden is running out of time to make an impact this season. We can't afford to have a shirt filled by reputation and that alone.

So far this term Anier, Sutton and McHugh have done well up front, Francis-Angol and Vigurs look a better shout on the left and Ainsworth, on the right, hit a beauty last week and changed the game on Saturday.

McFadden is my favourite ever Motherwell player and no one wants to see him end his career with us with a damp squib season but I think the time is coming close where he might not be a first XI player unless he improves his performances dramatically.

I think since we're not even out of September it's taking it a bit far to suggest he's running out of time to make an impact this season. There is ample time for McFadden to make a further impact. I say further as it's only four or five days from his first goal of the season, a beauty at that, and even yesterday whilst he perhaps went for one man too many a couple of times, he looked as tricky as he's been for a while.

It is also evident from McCall's comments that he is also being treated with kid gloves to an extent whilst they continue to work to get him to full fitness.

I'm sure come the end of the season Faddy will have made a full contribution to our campaign.

• Like 2

Sadly I think McFadden is running out of time to make an impact this season. We can't afford to have a shirt filled by reputation and that alone.

So far this term Anier, Sutton and McHugh have done well up front, Francis-Angol and Vigurs look a better shout on the left and Ainsworth, on the right, hit a beauty last week and changed the game on Saturday.

McFadden is my favourite ever Motherwell player and no one wants to see him end his career with us with a damp squib season but I think the time is coming close where he might not be a first XI player unless he improves his performances dramatically.

Bold decision to address the Elephant in the room.

For what it's worth I agree and have been castigated for doing so, He is by no means the player he once was and is proving to be increasingly frustrating.

To be fair we are getting the effort and commitment although I just wish he would take the simple option more often instead of trying to beat teams on his own and invariably being dispossessed.

Would fans be happy if it was Jimmy Smith and not James McFadden I don't think so.

Faddy needs to remember its Fir Park and not the San Siro, He will not lose the insight and reading of the game but the physicality of executing the fancy flicks and tricks may not still be there and players in the SPFL will not be as in awe of his reputation as some Motherwell fans and will not just stand idly by and allow him carte blanche to do as he will.

I thought that was cracking today.

Pretty much dominant from the first minute to the last if we'd won by about five or six I don't think County could really have argued. They caused us a problem occasionally on the break and there were times if their shooting from the edge of the box had been better it might have caused us more of a worry certainly. But on the possession, the chances created and shots on target we fully deserved that win today.

And it is all the sweeter for the fact that we'd to come from behind to win it. We certainly didn't deserve to go in behind at the break - I actually thought it was very harsh indeed that there some boos from the East Stand at that point - but there was no panic, we just kept doing what we'd been doing albeit perhaps a bit more directly and the rewards eventually came.

Great stuff!

Andy I got the impression that was directed at the play acting and time wasting from Ross Co. and to the Match Officials for allowing it not our lads.

1380442092[/url'>' post='396753']

1380445451' post='396761']

I think since we're not even out of September it's taking it a bit far to suggest he's running out of time to make an impact this season. There is ample time for McFadden to make a further impact. I say further as it's only four or five days from his first goal of the season, a beauty at that, and even yesterday whilst he perhaps went for one man too many a couple of times, he looked as tricky as he's been for a while.

It is also evident from McCall's comments that he is also being treated with kid gloves to an extent whilst they continue to work to get him to full fitness.

I'm sure come the end of the season Faddy will have made a full contribution to our campaign.

I have a certain sympathy with both points of view here.

Whilst it is undoubtedly concerning how poorly Faddy has started the season and question marks over whether he deserves his place in the side on current form are perfectly valid, lets not forget his form at the end of last season.

Had we not enjoyed the experience of those performances, I think we could justifiably question whether the injuries had finished him as a force in Scottish football. However, that wasnt the case and he showed then he clearly still has what it takes.

I have thought since the start of the season that Faddy looks like he is carrying an injury and from the language coming out of the dressing room yesterday, I would say thats almost certainly the case. Its clearly not that serious, or he wouldnt be getting game time, however, for his "type of player" any loss of sharpness can make a huge difference.

If you add that to the huge turnover in playing personnel over the summer and the fact that as a team we havent been reaching anywhere near the heights we hit at the end of last season, I dont think its any surprise that his form has slumped.

I agree that he needs to work on his decision making, he is not a young boy anymore, he will not run past players like he used to, however, he should still have the touch and vision to create space for others, but speaking as a fortysomething, that can be a hard thing to accept and a certain amount of anger and frustration as you come to terms with that is not uncommon!!!!

The international break is coming up, so he will get more recovery time and and as McCall gets to grip with a formation to get the best out of our new squad, I am sure we will see our performances get better and better. That will allow Faddy to show us what he has got left.

We are sitting third in the league having barely kicked a ball. There are positive signs of improvement. Im pretty confident that this could be another special season.

Exciting times to be a Well fan.

• Like 1

You are correct joewark. We have been pretty mediocre at times this season and we are still looking like european contenders ! This Faddy patter is grim. Things are looking good lads if we are playing well enough to have Faddy on the bench things are looking good. Bring on the rotten mob next week ! Exciting times to be a Well fan indeed

• Like 1

Having Faddy back is great. He's rebuilding his career back at his first senior club, a club which he had great affection for and obviously feels amongst family almost. He's a great talisman. There's flashes of great skill, there's tracking back, there's encouraging players around him as well as the times when he's struggling with fitness, confidence and things are not quite coming off.

If we can't just accept that's how it is and enjoy our football in that knowledge then I worry for us as a support.

• Like 5

8 games in. 3rd in the league and just 3 points off the top. Unbeaten in the last 5. All this and there is still a feeling that we haven't quite clicked into top gear yet.

Even if we had kept last years team, I'm sure we would all be happy with how this season is going so considering the massive changes in the first team it is both a remarkable and fantastic start for Stuart McCall and the players. Delighted!

Considering where James McFadden's career has taken him and some of the highs and lows he has had, I imagine being dropped and subbed by Motherwell in the last week is pretty close to the lowpoint. It could be that the end of last season was his swansong and he got a bit more room to play because the 2012/13 Motherwell team had so many different ways to unlock defences no team could afford to overly concentrate on McFadden or Ojamaa, Law or Humphrey would open them up whilst this team are a bit more sturdy and patient in build up so it is easier to pick one special player and mark him out the game. Like a poster above I think next week is exactly the game for letting him play as he loves the big occasion but it is how you get the team around him to play is the question and one worthy of mulling over for the next few days.

• Like 1

Play Sutton up front and faddy in behind in a deeper 'number 10' role at Celtic. Why not. As folk have said we might as well unleash him as one thing is for sure he will want to prove he still has the minerals in a big game against a Champions League team.

Just dont play him right mid. Ever. Again. Ever.

That's what I was thinking last night, but I was drunk last night so was trying to have sober reflection if it is still a good idea! Now someone else has independently said it I think that's what I would do.