Motherwell V Aberdeen 30/10/13

well_nuts

First game I've been at in a while and have to say leaving feeling totally embarrassed. We had a man advantage for 80mins and not making that count is shambolic for me!

Gutted as well...had a great chance to get to final with the teams left, but bottled it.

Final point...Bob McHugh! Dont see as many games as I'd like these days but he is absolutely murder ever time I see him.

Hey-ho....its all the shit that comes with being a 'Well fan I guess...and while its shitty now, I will get over it!

I wasn't there so can anyone at the game answer a question for me? What did we do when Aberdeen went down to 10? Did we change shape or anything?

Also what was the point of wasting a sub spot on faddy? If he is fit he plays so obviously he wasn't ever fit so why not bench Moore and have 1 sub capable of scoring a goal. The only scoring McHugh could manage is wi sum mocket spice in Megabar so why have him & him only as a striking sub?

Overall Stuart McCall's done a very good job since he came to Motherwell. However.......I really can't fathom some of the decisions he makes prior to and in "big" games.

He continually makes the same mistakes, strange lineups and crazy substitutions.

FFS, Faddy in the squad but at at no point (even 1-0 down with 5 mins to go) did it seem like a good idea to bring him on!?

To lose 2-0 to a team of a similar standard who are down to 10 men is honking, but so typical.

Only saving grace is that I missed it.

It is being a Motherwell fan, but does not excuse the fact it happens time and again. McCall screwed up on Sunday and much like Kuban - resting players made no difference at all.

Hibs on Sunday - god forbid we lose. I will hibernate for the winter...

Well that was fucking embarrassing. We should have made a change the second they went down to 10 but nothing. Having mcfadden run up and down the side line is useless, he should have been on after about 70 mins. Having lasley and carswell on at the same tome again 10 men is rediculous.made me lauhing throwing mcmanus forward instead of bringing on an attacking player.

Well done McCall, not only have you pissed away your best chance in a cup but you sacrificed 3 points against saint Johnstone in the process.

We'll twitters just exploded with Motherwell youths greetin. Heres a wee warning it could and has been a LOT worse than that.

The shape never changed once they went a man down.

The attacking was toothless and lazy.

ZFA had yet another poor game.

Bob McHughs a waste of a sub.

Disappointing night all round.

Roll on Sunday.

Carswell, Hutchy, McMannus and Las all pass marks.

Shite team performance again pass it back back and back again .We were playing 10 men and ran out of ideas after half an hour .No flair players on the park to night Aberdeen deserved to win their defence was solid and played like a team....barstewards

Faddy on the bench and he brings on McHugh.Just listening to McCall and he is bitching about the Sutton goal which he reckons was onside but that can scarcely be used as an excuse. Listening to the one eyed sheepy bastards from the BBC has nearly put the tin hat on it for me. re these twats employed to make the uber c### that is Murdo Macleod seem acceptable? No excuses though, just not good enough from the team this season.

Performance devoid of character and quality. We've see cup nights like this many times over the years and we'll get over it as we're perpetual shitebags. Beyond the obvious disappointment however, I'm pretty disheartened with the quality in squad.

It was always going to be almost impossible to replicate standard of play we had last season when we regularly blew teams away but McCall has undoubtedly blown a very decent budget on building a very mediocre team that lacks any sort of creativity, pace or cohesion. Nielson, McHugh, Lawson and Vigurs on 2 year deals FFS.

It wasn't a popular opinion at the time and it probably still isn't but McCall moving to Sheffield would have been a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

Is it ok to criticise now, or are a couple more flat, unimaginative performances needed?

It's not a crisis, nor anything like it, but frankly, we've not played to anything near a high standard this season. Recruitment has left us playing either lopsided (and fuck knows what happens if ZFA gets an injury) or with 4 central midfielders at times. I can read the table, I am aware of our position near the top, but unless we up our game, these scraped single goal victories will dry up.

Tonight, they went down to ten men, and our reaction was to continue hoofing the ball at the back post, to a John Sutton who appears to have forgotten he has feet, with a combination of Anier, McHugh or later on Steven McbloodyManus. Because, apparently, McCall has so little trust in our bench that throwing McManus up front is the best available option.

Credit to him for making the subs when he did, as Lawson wasn't needed as much as some forward drive was, and McHugh should have been told to run across the front post for a different option. Maybe he was, and instead, he did the same headless chicken act as ever? Who knows what goes through McCall's head on the big occasions.

Harsh? Yes. But that tonight was frankly embarrassingly stupid.

• Like 1

No urgency, ideas or flair. Pumping (mostly good) balls from the right again and again for every one to stand at the back post and not attack the ball. Zero penetration whatsoever.

aberdeen played it perfectly and fair play to them. ZFA can honestly get to fuck, he offers nothing. Same with lawson. Thought mcmanus was about one of the only ones to emerge with credit.

as for mccall, yet another game bottled. And like half the ground was saying, the game was crying out for faddy, why have him there and not use him? If he is unfit give his place to Moore.

What annoys me is that the whole night was almost inevitable

• Like 1

An absolutely disastrous result for Motherwell FC. Leaving the ground all I heard was anger and disillusionment. This is the sort of result and turns fans away from supporting the club. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is at the weekend because I think a lot of fans, fairly or unfairly were sickened by what happened tonight.

I'm going to make three main points.

1) Aberdeen are just better than us this season and I think before we go any further we have to accept that. They attack better than us, they defend better than us, they have a better goalkeeper than us, they have more height and strength than us, they have more pace than us and they have more goal threat than us.

2) Today was the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a very long time. John Beaton should not be anywhere near refereeing top level games. He was utterly, utterly inept. Which brings me to Motherwell.

3) The sending off was probably was worst thing that could have happened to us. I thought we started well, had a goal disallowed that the linesman didn't seem to flag until about 30 seconds afterwards and generally looked like the better team.

After the sending off we seemed to have no idea how to break down a team that had everyone behind the ball. I accept that when a team plays like Aberdeen did tonight it can be very difficult to break down, especially when they have a physical advantage over us but our attempt to break them down was completely wrong headed and inept. Can ANYONE tell me why on multiple occasions why the ball was played wide to a winger who then proceeded to pump an easily defend able ball from virtually the half way line into the Aberdeen box? Could we make it any easier to defend? It was bad enough that Ramsden was doing it, but for a supposed winger, why the hell was Ainsworth doing it? Why do Motherwell seem to sign wingers that have some kind of aversion to the byline!? You get to the byline, you play balls going AWAY from the goalkeeper and defender and TOWARDS our attacking players. This is school boy stuff and yet time after time we do not do it. It is simply not good enough when players who should know better behave like amateurs.

I have a feeling that Nielsen will be getting some stick tonight, especially over the first goal. My thoughts are that I thought the corner from Aberdeen was a superb one that made it very difficult to defend however, putting that to one side I thought Nielsen had a stinker. Every time Aberdeen put a ball into the box you were just waiting for disaster to strike. He showed no authority or command of his area. Hollis can't come back soon enough.

Finally Stuart McCall. I've often been a critic of McCall but overall I think you have to be fair and say he has mostly down a very good job. However tonight he let Motherwell FC and it's support done badly with a negligent performance as manager. He made an adjustment at half time but that was not good enough. It was clear we needed to make tactical adjustments at 60, 70, 80 minutes and what we got was Anier taken off for McHugh. There are guys on here who have it in for McHugh, I am not one of them, but that decision does not cut it as a managerial decision in possibly our biggest game of the season. Stuart McCall was hiding tonight behind status quo because he didn't know what to do. I totally understand that we have a small and limited squad but as a manager Stuart McCall has to have a Plan A, B, C, right through to Z. He showed tonight he doesn't have them, just as in the past he didn't have them. It's a huge flaw in his armour and as a result I think it is unlikely we will ever win these really big matches when it really matters. We will trundle along in the league well enough, provided our confidence doesn't nosedive after this defeat, but actually win something under McCall? Sadly I just can't see it. Tonight seemed to show there is a ceiling on Stuart McCall's managerial ability.

• Like 6