Motherwell V Aberdeen 30/10/13

well_nuts

after mccall's comments about the rules for handball simeone should ask him if we're only allowed to make two subs. That's the second game in a row where we have created nothing and not used all our subs.

Mccall's a good manager for keeping the ship steady and we'll usually beat inferior teams but anything that requires a bit of thought is beyond him. His record in cup and european games is shocking and his recruitment policy this summer made zero sense and now we're paying for it. 15 games into the season and we've barely played any decent football.

• Like 4

That was a right boot in the baws tonight..but we got what we deserved..feck all..no pace or threat up front,midfield all over the place, we could have played till next week and not scored.

ZFA..oh dear he is woeful at times, lots of pace but does feck all with the ball, 1 decent run and cross all game, and dont get me started on Hammell.

As for SMC bringing on McHugh before Faddy what the feck was he thinking ffs.

It was all so predictable tonight 80 mins against 10 men and we bottled it big time. Its not my 1st dissapointment as a well fan and it wont be the last. So the treble is off, i will get over it, bring on the Hibs on Sunday.

12 shots. 2 on target. There's the problem. Given Sutton spent most of the match with his back to goal trying to win headers against two large centre backs, need to look at making our midfield practise their shooting...

Funnily enough tonight was the night Vigurs would have been handy. He can actually strike a ball from 20 - 25 yards. Carswell, Lasley, Lawson, Francis-Angol, not so much.

Funnily enough tonight was the night Vigurs would have been handy. He can actually strike a ball from 20 - 25 yards. Carswell, Lasley, Lawson, Francis-Angol, not so much.

That wasn't our main problem tonight. Our players seem incapable of playing any decent crosses, and on the rare occasions they do, we have nobody attacking them.

That wasn't our main problem tonight. Our players seem incapable of playing any decent crosses, and on the rare occasions they do, we have nobody attacking them.

Against a team with ten men who are sitting back and can defend crosses (unlike ourselves), having someone who can shoot from distance would be useful...

Against a team with ten men who are sitting back and can defend crosses (unlike ourselves), having someone who can shoot from distance would be useful...

Ya Bezzer said Vigurs is someone who can but he has shown nothing to suggest he's capable of that.

They could defend the crosses because they had no quality to them. Our players regularly got into good positions and wasted possession with a poor cross, Hammell being the main culprit.

It wasn't our main problem, I agree. But we don't have a single player across the middle of the field that can score from 18, 20, 25 yards out. Our shooting from that distance was dire. When an opportunity fell to Carswell from that distance he took a fresh air swipe and fell on his arse.

Think about how often someone like Rocco Quinn or Liam Craig bangs one in against us. Our goal tally from midfield is woeful and it costs us points.

This season we have 2 goals from 13 by defenders and midfielders and one of them was a header from a set piece.

We already have that type of player in Vigurs. Just need to figure out how to use him effectively...

Well for a start, you can't rely on him being the most creative player in midfield. He thrived in a 5 man midfield than consisted of 2 cloggers, Paul 'the crab' Lawson and Richie Brittain the playmaker, who is head and shoulders above his fellow midfielders. With the squad we have at our disposal, Vigurs just doesn't fit.

I was pretty happy and looking forward to the season when I saw Vigurs and Lawson come on board, Faddy re-sign and Nielsen. On paper we should have a team that can perform and compete at the top end of a poor league. Looking at the league table that is the case, however I think our league placing is quite flattering for a team that for me hasn't played anywhere near their abilities in any game I have witnessed.

Writing was on the wall at Celtic, where we cowered while our contemporaries go there and give it some. Hearts needed a fairytale moment for a guy on his first start and it got it. St. Johnstone away was uninspiring and turgid and tonights game was ruined a little by the sending off however we went 1 up early doors against Aberdeen back in August and they went on to score 3 and rip us a new one. I can't see anything different tonight if our goal counted.

Serious soul searching and tactical revamping is required as our best chance was early in the second half when a ball was squared low from the by line and was blocked by the keeper at close range. If that was the case then why persevere with square ball to defender 30-35 yards out, looping ball to 6 yard box, easy clearance. With a team sitting in and soaking up pressure then involvement of Faddy (who wouldn't have been required to put in the same defensive shift as in a standard game) would for me have been key. While he hasn't set the heath alight this season, he is all we have in the creative mould.

Many don't rate Vigurs, I do, I think his passing can be pinpoint and our corners now have a potency that didn't exist when Tom Hateley was involved. i think he could have made a difference tonight if played ahead of Lawson.

A cup semi would have secured a nice payday to the tune of one senior player that could be added next year. Blown by lack of spirit and ideas.

However, might be a good move as it serves to highlight the fact, however jovial he may have been, that we haven't been getting penalty decisions going our way this season, and should an incident occur tonight, that may be in the back of the ref's mind.

So much for that theory. First of all, the referee overturns the linesman's ruling for a perfectly good goal, then denies what looked like a strong penalty claim from Anier. Shocking performance from a referee who looked completely out of his depth tonight. However, unlike Stuart McCall, I'm not going to dwell on those, as the referee's performance wasn't our biggest problem tonight. Where to start on that? I've had an hour's drive home to calm down and I'm still livid.

The red card was probably the worst thing that could have happened. We were on the front foot, and the sending off galvanised Aberdeen and gave them something to fight for. But for some timely interventions from Hutch and McManus, we could have gone in behind at half time.

Taking Lawson off was probably the correct decision, given that we didn't need the protection, and Ainsworth was probably the right choice to bring on, to let him run at Aberdeen with his pace and take men on.....only he didn't. I lost track of the number of times that Ramsden would receive the ball and start running, only to find Ainsworth standing at the half way line waiting for him. I don't remember the last time that I saw a winger with such an aversion to venturing towards the bye line. As a result, the delivery into the box was predictable, and left Sutton feeding off scraps.

Anier looked the most likely to create something given the fact that he was the only man actively looking to move into space. The fact that on a couple of occasions he had to track men all the way back to our 18-yard box summed up how static our midfield was today. Wasn't keen on taking him off, but he must have been absolutely knackered by that point. So, you replace our most dynamic, direct player with? Bob McHugh. Nope. It was obvious to everyone in the ground except for Stuart McCall that McHugh was the wrong choice for a game like that one. We needed someone direct to have a go at the Aberdeen defence and try to create something. Why would he not bring on Faddy? I keep coming back to him not being fit, and McCall not wanting to risk him, but if that is the case, then Moore should be on the bench instead.

Extremely disappointed in that tonight. Not just the result, but the manner of the defeat. We had so much possession and time to break them down, yet time and again took the same approach, firing deep crosses into the box which their defence lapped up. We needed someone with the ability to take a man on, or unlock the defence with a clever pass tonight. We had nothing. At least Lawson was willing to try from range, even if he didn't get it right.

Simply not good enough tonight, and we need to get a reaction against Hibs on Sunday.

• Like 1

Has anyone asked McCall why he had Faddy on the bench if he wasn't fit enough to play?

Not even Faddy can make a difference when all he's doing is shuttle runs up and down the touchline. What a waste of a space on the bench when we could have brought on a Vigurs or a Moore to at least try and make a difference.

What about 'Why was Faddy signed if he isn't fit enough to play?'

He hasn't been fit enough to play, regardless of time spent on the field, since day 1 of the season.

Fucking murder. 70 odd minutes at home against 10 men to get into a semi final of a cup that would only contain St Johnstone, Inverness and a kid on Hearts side and we fucking blow it!!

Did the players realise this was the best chance of a trophy win, likely in their careers? Do they care? Or do they just care about collecting a wage and tweeting about going to Nandos?

Scunnered. Absolutely scunnered.

• Like 6