Motherwell V Aberdeen 30/10/13

well_nuts

one of my biggest hates

yes, we all know he isnt a winger - but how many times has he played there this season? and why is he not learning?

its not that difficult to remember "i need to give him more space" or "i should be making a run in behind here"

he has potential - yes, but does he have ability to push on and be Motherwell's Gareth Bale :whistling::yahoo:

he has the strength, he has the pace, he has a good left foot..............

even with Ainsworth - he came on at HT, and i was impressed -recieved the ball wide, and started to run at players, hit the byeline and drill low crosses into the box - we will score from that, whether it be Sutty or an OG, or even a corner, but after so long, he stopped doing that, and just firing high balls in - always over hit, waste of a chance

This is one of my biggest frustrations, does my head in. He is incapable of doing anything bar running forward, coming short to collect from Hammell, hesitating and giving him it straight back, then standing there admiring his 3 yard pass. Doesn't matter how much space there is in behind, he is completely unaware of it. Compare to someone like Humphrey or Jim O Brien, who for their obvious limitations were hungry to get in behind the defence. ZFA never looks interested to me.

1383197249[/url]' post='398170']

Morning guys.

Can't imagine how you all must be feeling. I'm not here to goad or anything like that at all, I tried to join before the game to say all the best and may the best team win etc....

I thought it was a very strange game, you came out the traps absolutely flying, we could not get out of our own half, and for some unknown reason, Shaughnessy's naivety and inexperience in getting a deserved red card seemed to confuse you, aimless crosses and wild long range efforts.

I thought it was an excellent atmosphere, a decent advert for Scottish Football. Don't be too downhearted fella's, over the past 6 or 7 years we have suffered some right humiliating defeats, but you soon forget them.

Motherwell have been a very consistent team over the years, have a good squad there and I am sure you will be top 3 this season.

Good luck for the rest of the season anyway. (And f*ck the old firm)

You deserved your win, natural order has been restored, Aberdeen should beat Motherwell more often than not.I didn't think it was a sending off at the game and having seen it on highlights , definitely doesn't look like oneYour support for a Wednesday night game was brilliant.it was nice of you to come on and not gloat, there are enough Well fans sticking in the boot, . You can have second place, you just get drawn against a top notch and lose money, so third will do. Good luck for rest of season, hope we don't get drawn against you In Scottish Cup, though, lol

• Like 1

It's at least a relief to see everyone is as upset and angry as me about Wednesday night. I have nothing to add about the game that hasn't been said already. The worst I've felt after a game since the Sevco debacle.

What I will say is that the chickens are coming home to roost with our scatter gun signing policy in the summer. With the exception of Anier and possibly Sutton, absolutely none of the summer signings have brought anything of note to the table and in some cases are picking up a wage for nothing. We are a small club with a small budget and every player signed absolutely has to contribute. We cannot afford to have 4, 5, 6 players on the payroll who aren't contributing anything positive.

The fact that after a whopping 15 games McCall still doesn't appear to know his/our best starting 11 is very concerning also.

Do some of you hear yourselves? Players who are a waste of a wage, players who don't contribute anything, don't know the best team by now, etc? McCall should have known better?

Go back and look at all the people crying out for Neilsen to be the number one goalkeeper.

Go back and look at all the people lauding the signing of a quality player like Vigurs.

Go back and look at all the people praising a properly defensive-minded signing of Lawson.

Go back and look at all the people suggesting we should play 4-5-1, 3-5-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2, and so on and so on.

Let's not even begin to pretend that we as fans know any better because there's fucking hundreds of comments on here that prove that we don't know any better.

Yes, in hindsight, folk can get as sanctimonious as they like but it's pretty bloody easy to point out mistakes after they've happened.

As for folk threatening not to go back after the last few seasons we've had... :doh:

• Like 6

You must get to a lot of games if you only go when you think we will definitely win ???? Jeezeo whit a statement. Criticises the club and the players and couldn't be arsed supporting them. You ld be better with the other armchair old firm fair wether glory hunters.

Listen mate i have supported the club and spent a shitload following them, so dont criticise me for not going when i decide not to go last night!

My tuppenceworth.

We have not replaced the players that left in the summer with similar quality as we don't have the money to buy like for like.

Our player budget is tiny and with no money coming in on transfer fees it has had a direct effect on the quality on the pitch.

Hence you get results like Wednesday night.

It's at least a relief to see everyone is as upset and angry as me about Wednesday night. I have nothing to add about the game that hasn't been said already. The worst I've felt after a game since the Sevco debacle.

What I will say is that the chickens are coming home to roost with our scatter gun signing policy in the summer. With the exception of Anier and possibly Sutton, absolutely none of the summer signings have brought anything of note to the table and in some cases are picking up a wage for nothing. We are a small club with a small budget and every player signed absolutely has to contribute. We cannot afford to have 4, 5, 6 players on the payroll who aren't contributing anything positive.

The fact that after a whopping 15 games McCall still doesn't appear to know his/our best starting 11 is very concerning also.

Milo's nailed it and what unfolded from Sunday's match in Perth to the cup match on Wednesday, was so predictable.

There's no balance to team selections, with players looking uncomfortable in unfamiliar roles and of course niggling injuries and loss of form/confidence.

It looks like SMc will be tinkering with formations and set ups for quite a while, until players either bed in or are replaced.

Job in progress I'm afraid.

Milo's nailed it and what unfolded from Sunday's match in Perth to the cup match on Wednesday, was so predictable.

There's no balance to team selections, with players looking uncomfortable in unfamiliar roles and of course niggling injuries and loss of form/confidence.

It looks like SMc will be tinkering with formations and set ups for quite a while, until players either bed in or are replaced.

Job in progress I'm afraid.

What do you know Mick, were you even there?

Let's not even begin to pretend that we as fans know any better because there's fucking hundreds of comments on here that prove that we don't know any better.

Yes, in hindsight, folk can get as sanctimonious as they like but it's pretty bloody easy to point out mistakes after they've happened.

As for folk threatening not to go back after the last few seasons we've had... :doh:

This!

I speak to supporters of other clubs who hate Motherwell. Bitter Thistle and Falkirk fans with a grudge hate us. Old Firm fans I know hate us? Hearts fans I work with hate us (& vice versa). But nobody hates and abuses Motherwell as much as the 'supporters' of Motherewell.

I work with supporters of a good few SPL teams - a lot of them not as successful as us (take Hibs for example) Most of them have had some pretty dire years, loads of unrest, protests etc. But the ranting, raving and abuse is never anywhere near as bad as we see on here for our club after a couple of bad results.

We all seen what happened on Wednesday but it wasn't as if we didn't go at them in the initial stages or dominate possession or attempt to break them down? yeah, we failed to do it but we fuckin went at it for 90 mins and it's gutting to us all from the stands to the boardroom that it didn't work out.

But this Motherwell trait where every mistake has to be lambasted, every poor performance is from a 'waste of a wage' every outsmarting on a tactical level is because McCall's lost it is just tedious bollocks.

The justification that someone can say what the like, over the score or not doesn't wash. You pay your money like the rest of us to see the might well play - come what may. You surely don't expect a guaranteed victory. You surely don't expect to be guaranteed 2nd or 3rd because that's what the reaction smacks of. It's all very Old Firm all of a sudden watching the well.

• Like 5

Success breeds expection, nothing Old Firm about it. I would be more concerned if people weren't upset about this season in general, as it's completely unambitious. We've had a great few years with Euro Qualifications, Cup Finals etc... and supporters have had a taste of better times and rightly want us to push on and continue to improve and be successful. Of course, there are ways and means of expressing your displeasure without completely overreacting to the reality of the situation. There are also extenuating circumstances with which we have no control, that have severely hindered this squad's progression to success. I'm not going to have a go at any 'happy clappers or doom merchants' because amongst the shite there are valid points from each side.

I'm sure that such a crushing blow will be met with a positive reaction by the players and management as they seek to try and prove to people that we've not had our day and won't meekly settle for mid-table obscurity.

Mon the 'Well!

• Like 5

Success breeds expection, nothing Old Firm about it. I would be more concerned if people weren't upset about this season in general, as it completely unambitious. We've had a great few years with Euro Qualifications, Cup Finals etc so and supporters have had a taste of better times and rightly want us to push on and continue to improve and be successful. Of course, there are ways and means of expressing your displeasure without completely overreacting to the reality of the situation. There are also extenuating circumstances with which we have no control, that have severely hindered this squad's progression to success. I'm not going to have a go at any 'happy clappers or doom merchants' because amongst the shite there are valid points from each side.

I'm sure that such a crushing blow will be met with a positive reaction by the players and management as they seek to try and prove people that we've not had our day and won't meekly settle for mid-table obscurity.

Mon the 'Well!

married life has a calming effect on you :rolleyes:

Posts like those of Steve Diggle, condemning any negative response to the current regime, and thus negating any form of healthy debate really stop the average commenter from coming on and making their thoughts heard. Frankly, they put people like me off.

I was there around the time of the administration, but the comments of some posters seem designed to denigrate any comment unless it came from the era of zero competition, or the current unfortunate period.

I am all for supporting the team, and I really wish folk'd pick a side.

• Like 2

Posts like those of Steve Diggle, condemning any negative response to the current regime, and thus negating any form of healthy debate really stop the average commenter from coming on and making their thoughts heard. Frankly, they put people like me off.

I was there around the time of the administration, but the comments of some posters seem designed to denigrate any comment unless it came from the era of zero competition, or the current unfortunate period.

I am all for supporting the team, and I really wish folk'd pick a side.

That's complete bollocks.

I find it very telling that in all the responses to the match thread you find mine the most extreme given the pages of vitriol directed at the team preceding it.

I'm not responding to 'any negative response' and I'm not in any way against 'healthy' debate far from it.

If we had healthy debate on here it would die of loneliness.

I try to remain positive as for a start there are far more important things in life than football and if we were all being completely honest things aren't that bad in a historical MFC context.

I post to remind folk of this with an an added deliberate pinch of antagonism to folk who are over the top in slating the team with over the top criticism and venom.

If you find that extreme and to the detriment of steelmenonline then that quite frankly is brilliant.

Keep it coming

• Like 2

I'm actually still laughing.

Responding to post after post of extremely heavy criticism of the team is 'stifling healthy debate'

Brilliant. I've heard it all now.

Here's a hint. I'm not stifling debate stipers, you just don't like or agree with what I say which is something completely different. (and all very well and good)

Debate: a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints:

• Like 1

:blink::huh:

come one Nian, you've clearly hit a downer in life, if supporting Motherwell, can be classed as a current unfortunate period.

and yes, to you, some posts might look like reacting to 'any' negative post, but step back, most of the people you spend too much time going round social media slating, actually do criticise component parts of the ups and downs.

what most object to is the mass hysteria following a couple of defeats or a couple of signings that appear to be not working, or even be it , a lull in the undoubted successful period in the clubs history that is the last 7 years.

if some of the posters would just back of, from the need to slate everything and exaggerate the problems, then perhaps others would back of, trying to point that out , by trying to counter it with reminders of all things positive

well4europe has some decent points in amongst his posts but has repeatedly said the team didn't try on Wednesday and we created almost no chances, to me that's just Bullshit, and not based on any rational view but through a blinkered view post match with some anger and hurt that comes with a loss, the over dramatics , then rile others as much as you seem to get riled, by positive outlooks.

in a league competition , you have to compare to whats happening to the competition around you, I'd say on a whole, the current regime is doing not too bad, with the resources available

Cup defeats hurt, but the team and management did try to win it, came up short against a better team, tough as it is to accept, nae point isolating it as a measure of where the cub is at present

anyway what I came onto say: although not sure its the correct thread for it

Aberdeen released their financial accounts during the night ( in a stealthy manner?)

Losses up to £1.44 million

Turnover down £0.5million

and wages up to a massive £5.25million

wages that shadow our clubs entire turnover,

Staggering, in no way a measure of why we lost the cup game, but a measure of how well, our club has done, to out perform them over the last few years

IMO the reaction to the Aberdeen game was fueled by what happened at Perth.

Had we not set up the previous Sunday with what looked like eyes on the cup match, I believe comments would be slightly different on this board and others.

I guess it seems like another groundhog day mistake,but hey, we don't know what was happening in the background with selections etc.

Anyway, time to dust ourselves down and prepare for Sunday.

C'mon The Well

whistling.gif

1383386029[/url]' post='398322']

anyway what I came onto say: although not sure its the correct thread for it

Aberdeen released their financial accounts during the night ( in a stealthy manner?)

Losses up to £1.44 million

Turnover down £0.5million

and wages up to a massive £5.25million

wages that shadow our clubs entire turnover,

Staggering, in no way a measure of why we lost the cup game, but a measure of how well, our club ha down to out perform them over the last few years

Sensible reflection & pointing out figures such of these will get you chased off this forumwhistling.gif

IMO the reaction to the Aberdeen game was fueled by what happened at Perth.

Had we not set up the previous Sunday with what looked like eyes on the cup match, I believe comments would be slightly different on this board and others.

I guess it seems like another groundhog day mistake,but hey, we don't know what was happening in the background with selections etc.

Anyway, time to dust ourselves down and prepare for Sunday.

C'mon The Well

May have a point but Motherwell could go on a 20 game winning streak, scoring at least 3 goals a game but if we had the audacity to lose a game after that run then it would be a whole sky is falling scenario. That is of course after this place has been quiet for the whole winning run.

well4europe has some decent points in amongst his posts but has repeatedly said the team didn't try on Wednesday and we created almost no chances, to me that's just Bullshit, and not based on any rational view but through a blinkered view post match with some anger and hurt that comes with a loss, the over dramatics , then rile others as much as you seem to get riled, by positive outlooks.

Well first of, thank you.

Secondly, I don't think I once said the team didn't try on Wednesday, let alone repeated it.

Thirdly, we did create almost no chances.

• Like 1