Motherwell V Aberdeen 30/10/13

well_nuts

In my lifetime, Aberdeen have had success that we can only dream of. They won the Premier League 3 times, the Scottish Cup 6 times, the League Cup 4 times, the European Cup Winners Cup once and the European Super Cup once.

Apart from one League Cup, all the others came in the 80s or 90s.

The media aren't very imaginative at the best of times, so on the rare occasions that they are looking outside of the OF for a story, it's not surprising that Aberdeen are the first team that come to mind as, for a period, they really did upset the Glasgow dominance (along with Dundee Utd).

Lazy on their part, of course, but I wouldn't expect any less on their part.

Back to the game itself, it looks like the club understands the fans' priority this season, so let's hope the performance reflects that.

The BBC think we are playing Morton on Wednesday... wallbash.gif

Manager Stuart McCall wants Motherwell to banish the memory of a lacklustre loss to St Johnstone when they face Morton in a League Cup quarter-final...

...And the Steelmen will need to pick up their performance levels if they are to avoid an upset at Cappielow, with a semi-final place up for grabs.

Not for the first time this season, more pressure on an Aberdeen game than there needs to be due to McCalls antics in the previous match.

Listening to Radio Scotland after the St Johnstone game, the consensus is that we will come out the blocks quickly on Wednesday. Not convinced we are capable of doing so but I hope Anier and Ainsworth start and we blow them away early doors. Suspect we will be in for a tense night though.

Big performances needed from the defence and Carswell to shackle McGinn, Hayes and co. Speaking to my Hibs pal, Willo Flood completely dominated their game yesterday. Should be a good battle between him and Lasley.

I thought Aberdeen beat us pretty convincingly back in the first home game and the fact that we seem incapable of beating any of the expected Top Six teams this season I find a bit worrying.

Aderdeen, Inverness, St. Johnstone, Celtic....I see a theme developing here, almost the opposite of last season when we had a very good record against the good teams and dropped a lot of points to the struggler.

On the positive side our recent home record is very good, Aberdeen match aside.

Don't want to become too negative after today because we have bounced back from woeful performances in the past but that was one of the worst for a long time, possibly the worst under McCall. However that doesn't mean we are a bad team, problem is our opponent on Wednesday are playing well and are defensively sound so we'll have to play well to get in behind them.

Logic tells me Anier and Ainsworth probably didn't have two games in four days in them or they'd have been on today however I don't understand why they were taking a seat on the bench when there was no inclination to throw them on when we were on insipid and still in it at 0-1. That does tell me though that they should both make it and the team on Wednesday will be different than today's.

Could see it going either way before this weekend and nothing that has happened has really changed that.

This really is our best chance to win a cup in a long, long time. Arguably, we are the best team left in the competition but there are still a handful of teams who could deemed as the favourite.

We have a better chance of winning a cup than normal but I think some people are getting carried away.

Results this season seem to show me that we are only third or fourth favourites to win the cup. We've been beaten pretty comprehensively by Inverness, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone this season and we didn't beat Dundee Utd. The win over Hibs, while a good result, was hardly a convincing performance.

The idea that 'our name is on the cup' just because Celtic are out the competition is ludicrous. We will need to put in performances and work bloody hard to even get into the next round.

I hope we do it, but I dislike the idea that the cup is just waiting for us to pick up. Most years it's not the OF that put out us out the cup and this year will be no different unless we actually get our attitude right.

• Like 1

Just listened to McCall's interview on BBC after the game. He was asked about Hollis and Faddy for this game and said no chance. What is Faddy's injury? I thought I'd read somewhere he had recovered and was available for the St J game?

We have a better chance of winning a cup than normal but I think some people are getting carried away.

Results this season seem to show me that we are only third or fourth favourites to win the cup. We've been beaten pretty comprehensively by Inverness, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone this season and we didn't beat Dundee Utd. The win over Hibs, while a good result, was hardly a convincing performance.

The idea that 'our name is on the cup' just because Celtic are out the competition is ludicrous. We will need to put in performances and work bloody hard to even get into the next round.

I hope we do it, but I dislike the idea that the cup is just waiting for us to pick up. Most years it's not the OF that put out us out the cup and this year will be no different unless we actually get our attitude right.

I completely agree. If that's not what my post that you quoted suggests then I apologise. Never in a million years would I assume our name is on the cup.

All I meant was that of all the teams left in the competition, if we play our absolute best against them, we could beat them. In previous years, even playing to our best, there's no guarantee that that would be enough to beat an in-form Celtic or Rangers.

On current form, we aren't the favourites. However, over the last two or three years, we have performed better than the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee United. That's what I meant by being arguably the best team - and I did say arguably.

I agree we have no right to be expectant or complacent.

I kind of fear the worst for Wednesday. A lot of Aberdeen fans are already crowing.

Here's hoping yesterday's game was last season's Ross County match where McCall tore into the players and they then went on a great run of form...

Keep the faith guys,we are a different team at Fir Park, and i fully expect a great reaction from the players after yesterdays dross. Its been a long tine since Aberdeen beat us twice in a season..it wont happen on Wednesday.

It will be a hard game but we will win, i am going for 3-1 to the good guys

Keep the faith guys,we are a different team at Fir Park, and i fully expect a great reaction from the players after yesterdays dross. Its been a long tine since Aberdeen beat us twice in a season..it wont happen on Wednesday.

It will be a hard game but we will win, i am going for 3-1 to the good guys

Not in big Cup games against Aberdeen we're not.

Let's face it, in the last two seasons we've had, on paper at least, better sides than Aberdeen had yet we still managed to choke twice against them in Scottish Cup games so I really don't see how things are going to change given that its them who now have the better side man for man.

I look at it this way. Even if you take away the fact that Aberdeen are the form side in the SPFL just now - outside Celtic anyway - our record over the years in Cup games, especially at Fir Park is utterly appalling and I really don't see Wednesday being any different. We either fail to turn up or get absolutely every possible thing that could go wrong for us, going wrong for us, ie. penalties being missed, corners wrongly awarded etc.

Wednesday will either go two ways. We'll either lose convincingly by two goals as we did in August, or it'll be a fairly even game that we'll lose late on or on penalties.

Either way we will lose.

there is no excuses for the performance and tactics against st johnstone but im not going to let that cloud my judgement on this game too much as we will make changes and play a formation that suits us best against aberdeen.mccall obviously seen this game as the priority rather than the st johnstone game so he should have the players fired right up but with no old firm left in the cup and a home tie in the quarters thats all the motivation our guys should need

Aberdeen fans are a funny bunch, at the start of the season they strung a few wins together n the glory days were back and they were going to win trophy after trophy and challenge the tims. Then they went through a wee spell without the wins and we heard nothing. Now they've had a few more and the glory days have returned once again laugh.gif Fucking idiots

Not in big Cup games against Aberdeen we're not.

Let's face it, in the last two seasons we've had, on paper at least, better sides than Aberdeen had yet we still managed to choke twice against them in Scottish Cup games so I really don't see how things are going to change given that its them who now have the better side man for man.

I look at it this way. Even if you take away the fact that Aberdeen are the form side in the SPFL just now - outside Celtic anyway - our record over the years in Cup games, especially at Fir Park is utterly appalling and I really don't see Wednesday being any different. We either fail to turn up or get absolutely every possible thing that could go wrong for us, going wrong for us, ie. penalties being missed, corners wrongly awarded etc.

Wednesday will either go two ways. We'll either lose convincingly by two goals as we did in August, or it'll be a fairly even game that we'll lose late on or on penalties.

Either way we will lose.

Like the last time we played them in a League Cup Quarter Final?

Go away again trolly troll.

Like the last time we played them in a League Cup Quarter Final?

Go away again trolly troll.

No, but like the more recent two occasions when we played them in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final and 4th Round replay respectively, on both occasions when we were out-performing them in the League yet still managed to screw up against them in what should have been very winnable Cup ties.

Obviously there are exceptions, ie. the 1-0 win over Aberdeen in the LCQF of 2005 which you refer to, and the 2011 Scottish Cup Quarter Final against Dundee Utd, but on the whole our record in Cup games, especially at Fir Park over the years has been deplorable and although we all hope Wednesday will be one of the exceptions, I've just got no faith in us in these types of games, ie. one which the support is absolutely desperate to win to progress to a Semi Final of what is an open Cup competition.

I've seen it all before.

I've seen it all before.

So you've seen it all before and never seen us win a Cup game against a decent top flight side?

Or seen us win key games to finish 2nd in the league?

Or even just win a game?

I was hoping you'd have different trolling patter now you're back.

So you've seen it all before and never seen us win a Cup game against a decent top flight side?

Or seen us win key games to finish 2nd in the league?

Or even just win a game?

I was hoping you'd have different trolling patter now you're back.

If you'd actually read what I'd posted you'd have seen that I said that there "obviously are exceptions" and mentioned them.

I'm referring to Cup games at Fir Park over the years in the main here and our record in such games, especially in latter stages, is poor to say the least. If you or anyone else can offer me any evidence to suggest otherwise then I'd be glad to hear it.

Obviously I hope we win on Wednesday, for nothing else than it'll be great to get one over on Aberdeen for the last two Scottish Cup encounters at Fir Park and to shut up their cronies in the media, but most importantly because I believe that if we can overcome this tie then we've got a real chance of achieving our greatest feat since 1991.

But like I said, I've seen us 'choke' on so many occasions over the years when in a similar position.

It is trolling but it doesn't mean that he doesn't have a point. We do tend to choke in big games, especially when we get a big crowd inside Fir Park. I'd probably be even more harsh than MJC and throw Nancy and Odense home games into the pot as evidence.

However, as someone else pointed out we have had to pull a couple of big performances out of the hat over the past few seasons at Fir Park to qualify for Europe and it can happen again.

This game really could go either way but I'm going to keep the faith and go with both teams to score and a home win.