Motherwell V Aberdeen 30/10/13

well_nuts

Yes Lawson is crap so's the Fairy'oise keeper. Vigours if he ups his workrate is a decent player. Our bottle crashed again as usual in cup competitions and it still hurts today. Didn't honestly expect to beat Aberdeen cos simply they're better than us and im sure our club badge is now on the mantlepiece at Pittodrie. :wallbash:

Unfortunately he hit it straight at Langfield, so there wasn't much he needed to do.

Really? Fair enough then. From where I was sitting I thought it had taken a deflection and incredible reflexes from langfield. The passage of play felt like it was going to be a goal. Probably not as good a save after all.

Didnt go last night and i normally would been there for a big cup game, but knew we would get beat, fact is we are bottle merchants, just like Rangers in the cup last year and well you could go on and on the amount of times Motherwell crap it in the big occasion, this isnt a one off, it consistently happens time and time again, we shit it pure and simple, and no excuses, we arent good enough!

Yes Lawson is crap so's the Fairy'oise keeper. Vigours if he ups his workrate is a decent player. Our bottle crashed again as usual in cup competitions and it still hurts today. Didn't honestly expect to beat Aberdeen cos simply they're better than us and im sure our club badge is now on the mantlepiece at Pittodrie. :wallbash:

I dont think they are any better than us, but their manager got their tactics spot on last night, after the sending off he ditched Zola and brought on Considine to shore up the defence. It was plain to see that we offered no threat up front, Aberdeen were happy to sit deep and defend, which given our main tactic of punting aimless high balls at them was not difficult to do.

They had more pace than us going forward which they used to good effect and got the right result from it. As for SMC he looked as though he had no plan B, after 20 mins it was obvious that Lawson was contributing nothing and ZFA spent more time passing the ball back to Hammell than going forward.

At half time he should have brought Faddy on as well and put him up top with Sutton and Anier to really go at them, but what did we get instead, more aimless runs with no end product from ZFA ( well 1 decent cross that really should have been converted) and then we get the final tactical master stroke, he brings on McHugh :doh:

Against 10 men for 80 mins we really should have won but tactically we fucked up big time and let them off, as the game wore on they went for it on the counter and got their reward.

Paul Lawson is an abomination of a player, no dig, no drive, nothing, what a waste of a wage.

I really can't be fucked forking out money for it anymore, doubt I'll be back this season, rant over...

Lawson is a good player, he proved that last season. What he offers though, is not what we need in terms of how McCall has us playing. That's not Lawson's fault.

See you next season

We are missing law so much.

Totally agree. For me, and I've said it to a few people today, not only are we missing Law, but Ojamma too

In Scotland, out with the league championship the Scottish Cup is the big one and hopefully we can dust ourselves down and attempt to go all the way in that one.

Let's get right behind the Well and make sure that happens.thumbup.gif

Agree with this totally, but everyone has this attitude and its there for everyone to win

Flood, who will never be my cup of tea as an individual, I would have swapped in a heartbeat last night.

As much as I hate this wee runt, no matter who he has played for in this country, he continually impresses me. For all that you think of his physical appearance, he has it all and offers a bit of everything

Lawson too many sideways passes, and too slow. This is fine in the right system but with Lasley and Carswell give us peace.

Next of all Vigurs is a quality player. McFadden is one of the best talents Scotland has produced in a long time. Yet they have been poor at the start of the season. This is down to not incorporating them into the team to utilise their talents in the best way. This is multiplied by the inability to play wing backs who provide support to these guys.

Agree with you again, but Lasley, Carsy and Lawson are all good players - but its not them who pick the team. Thats down to McCall. he needs to find a tactic that suits the players at his disposal

Hollis/Neilson

Wing Back - (I feel a bit sorry for Ramsden who has actually done ok, but it's a system we need)

Hutchinson

McManus

Wing Back (not Angol)

Def Midfielder - Lawson & Lasley

Att Midfielder - Vigurs

McFadden - can drift

Anier - can drift

Sutton

For me attacking wing backs could provide the foil, if we have 2 defensive midfielders, I dunno, but it ain't working and some big decisions need made.

I've probably contradicted myself here but it's the system that McCall has that is wrong, and he needs to fix it.

This is where I dont agree with you, we can not play two attacking full backs, plus have the luxury of two players who are going to drift about - thats footballing suicide. We are Motherwell, not Man United. You want to play two attacking full backs - then Lawson is your man in the middle of the park. ZFA and Ainsworth - need to hit the byline more - I honestly think the two of them are attached by some sort of magnetic pull to their respective full back

I dont think they are any better than us, .

They are better than us - no questions. Its taken them a while, and they probably still owe us about another 5 defeats - we've pumped them that much recently

• Like 2

Typical comments from McCall moaning about a decision rather than taking responsibility for the tactics and the poor preparation. Did he say anything about McFadden or subs on MFC TV?

It must be dawning on him that he'll never manage at a decent level down south now. We're stuck with him and his signings until the end of next season when I'd expect him to do a peter Houston and walk away, he better figure out a way to improve the boring pish his team are serving up week in, week out.

• Like 1

Typical comments from McCall moaning about a decision rather than taking responsibility for the tactics and the poor preparation. Did he say anything about McFadden or subs on MFC TV?

It must be dawning on him that he'll never manage at a decent level down south now. We're stuck with him and his signings until the end of next season when I'd expect him to do a peter Houston and walk away, he better figure out a way to improve the boring pish his team are serving up week in, week out.

He said Faddy has had little training so he was going to bring him on if we went into extra time.

He did. He said he was getting fed up with Anier drifting wide instead of feeding off crosses in the box so he brought McHugh on to try and do that.

He said Faddy was going to be used in extra time.

McLeish is in the frame for the Crystal Palace job. So McCall should be able to find a job down south if he needs it.

I have no idea what some people imagined would happen this season when we had to disassemble a squad that took 3 or 4 years to build. But if they had any notion of being able to pick up where we left of last season, or even close to it, then they are delusional.

1383227519[/url]' post='398225']

He did. He said he was getting fed up with Anier drifting wide instead of feeding off crosses in the box so he brought McHugh on to try and do that.

He said Faddy was going to be used in extra time.

McLeish is in the frame for the Crystal Palace job. So McCall should be able to find a job down south if he needs it.

I have no idea what some people imagined would happen this season when we had to disassemble a squad that took 3 or 4 years to build. But if they had any notion of being able to pick up where we left of last season, or even close to it, then they are delusional.

Mcleish has a cabinet full of winners medals as a manager, two promotions and big wins with Scotland. McCall was a disaster at Bradford and has done an ok job, he finished 3rd with the third best squad and 2nd with the second best squad but when he had to show some managerial skills in the summer he failed miserably. His record in difficult games is abysmal with 1 goal in the combined 18 games we've played in European competiton and against the old firm away from home. He's also took a club that had something like 40 clean sheets in the 100 games prior to him arriving and decimated the defence to the extent that we have only kept 9 clean sheets in the 60 games since the start of last season. You would assume that is the sort of thing clubs would look at when hiring a manager.

I didn't expect us to stay well ahead of the city clubs this season but I didn't think we would fall back so far either. A signing policy that can best be described as 'old and slow' slow left us looking to a converted fullback who hasn't properly established himself as a pro and a winger who was available for the entire summer and ignored until we got desperate to create something in a massive game. He had money to spend and everyone on here knew we had to bring in creativity yet we didn't. Nielsen, Kerr, lawson, vigurs and McFadden have contributed nothing. McManus looks the part sometimes but our highly paid experienced defence still ships more goals than the blue square players Inverness are paying buttons to.

I don't think expecting signings who contribute or to be occasionally entertained is asking too much.

• Like 1

In general, I agree. But last night wasnt exactly normal circumstances...80 mins against 10 men to go into a semi final draw with st j, ICT and hearts. It was our best chance to win a cup for a while which is what's so sickening that we didn't capitalise (thats not to say that playing any of those teams is easy). I expect Aberdeen will go on to win it now.

Pretty gutted about last nights loss. We're all feeling it more because we know an average Aberdeen side was probably about as tough a game as we had to get past to make a semi final and with the remaining big obstacles being St.Johnstone and ICT. Big opportunity spurned.

It can be tough breaking down ten men, and Aberdeen aren't the shambles they were under McGhee and Brown. Still don't think all that much of them but if the chalked off goal had stood or Hutchison buries that header we might well have progresed.

Longer the game went on the more the script was written for them to nick something and it happened. The players we have including the ones getting pelters have us challenging for 2nd place. That is some way better than I expected given we nearly rebuilt the team from scratch in the summer.

The jury is absolutely out on a few players but if we keep going along as we are we'll finish top 6 no bother. If McCall can get the right blend from a few of our misfiring players then maybe we can keep in the hunt for 2nd and make amends in the Scottish Cup.

So another cup run ends in disappointment, add it to the list and move on. It's a couple of games in a row where we've looked poor, I'll be more concerned if we don't win by christmas but I'm fairly confident we can pull it together and pick up some wins in November. 3 winnable games there.

And if we lose them all and descend into the bottom half maybe the manager gets sacked, maybe someone else comes in and does better or worse. Life goes on and either way I'll still support my team and be at the games when possible.

Mcleish has a cabinet full of winners medals as a manager, two promotions and big wins with Scotland. McCall was a disaster at Bradford and has done an ok job, he finished 3rd with the third best squad and 2nd with the second best squad but when he had to show some managerial skills in the summer he failed miserably. His record in difficult games is abysmal with 1 goal in the combined 18 games we've played in European competiton and against the old firm away from home. He's also took a club that had something like 40 clean sheets in the 100 games prior to him arriving and decimated the defence to the extent that we have only kept 9 clean sheets in the 60 games since the start of last season. You would assume that is the sort of thing clubs would look at when hiring a manager.

I didn't expect us to stay well ahead of the city clubs this season but I didn't think we would fall back so far either. A signing policy that can best be described as 'old and slow' slow left us looking to a converted fullback who hasn't properly established himself as a pro and a winger who was available for the entire summer and ignored until we got desperate to create something in a massive game. He had money to spend and everyone on here knew we had to bring in creativity yet we didn't. Nielsen, Kerr, lawson, vigurs and McFadden have contributed nothing. McManus looks the part sometimes but our highly paid experienced defence still ships more goals than the blue square players Inverness are paying buttons to.

I don't think expecting signings who contribute or to be occasionally entertained is asking too much.

Clean sheets, damm the hell on Craigan retiring, Hutchy making mistakes and Hammell getting a year older....

New players, failed compared to who? No one.

Do you know how to read a league table?

Fall so far behind by having more points than all but one of the non old firm city clubs?

Real sore one last night.

We had started the game well, even taking the disallowed goal out of the equation we seemed to bubbling about quite well. But a red card always changes the focus of the game and it really did. We suddenly seemed to get impatient and our ball retention was suddenly much slacker. We should have been keeping the ball, spraying it from side to side and trying to force them out to give us round to play round them and if the chance arose bombing to the by line. What we did was meat and drink to the Aberdeen defence.

Second half we started excellently and doing exactly what we should have been doing beforehand in running at players, creating room to cross and putting balls into the box. As McCall said, Aberdeen defended excellently but I feel our midfield should have been supporting more as when the headers went out Aberdeen shirts tended to be picking up the balls in and around the D.

However as the 2nd half wore on, Aberdeen became more of a threat on the break and I felt we were running out of steam and the momentum was swinging from us and we appeared to be running out of ideas. Real lack of an attacking force at times and we really need to work on our options in the final third.

Other than on Sunday, every domestic game we have lost this season, game turning goals have come from shocking defending at set plays and given the height in our team and the experience we have that is unacceptable and it came to roost again last night.

Lots to work on but the sad reality of matters is we are a middle of the road team this year and last night proved, if there was any doubt that Aberdeen are better than us. For nothing else they have an ability to defend.

I'd gladly put up with the pish every week if it guaranteed that you fucked off elsewhere

• Like 2

I've got a season ticket mate, but don't take in many away games these days. I used to do home and away when I was a young guy too tho.

Even in the black old days when their actually were bad players and guises at the club I never ever felt the need to berate, belittle, abuse, with overblown and unnecessary hatred and vitriol.

I can assure you, you're mixing up supporting the club with having a day out on a Saturday.

• Like 4

Just seen the BBC highlights. I was away on business and so missed the game, but I have spoken to a couple of people who were very upset with the performance and of course the result.

Goal wrongly chalked off and another penalty that could and possibly should have been given. How many is that this year. It is getting beyond a joke!!

Poor defending from the corner. You could Q the goalie not coming out, but Hut hy has to do better.

Didnt go last night and i normally would been there for a big cup game, but knew we would get beat, fact is we are bottle merchants, just like Rangers in the cup last year and well you could go on and on the amount of times Motherwell crap it in the big occasion, this isnt a one off, it consistently happens time and time again, we shit it pure and simple, and no excuses, we arent good enough!

You must get to a lot of games if you only go when you think we will definitely win ???? Jeezeo whit a statement. Criticises the club and the players and couldn't be arsed supporting them. You ld be better with the other armchair old firm fair wether glory hunters.

• Like 1

Still smarting over this and wondering what went and is going wrong. IMHO I think it's down to missing ojaama, zfa and ainsworth are both capable of reaching the bye line and putting a good or bad cross in similar to Humphrey ( remember the bad as the good) oj would then pick up and assist highly to score. Most spl assists. I'm no Sutton fan but five him the service and he will score ( higgy a better player IMO but I was always a fan ) last night we played crosses in the air Aberdeen too good for that we needed it on the deck and quicker, I think ojaama would have done that but he's gone and I fuks me off we clearly no back up plan for him leaving.

Sp ojamaa*

angol needs to start making runs in behind the full back and give hammell or whoever the option of playing it in behind theres far too many times he lets the full back stay tight on him or hes too close too hammell

one of my biggest hates

yes, we all know he isnt a winger - but how many times has he played there this season? and why is he not learning?

its not that difficult to remember "i need to give him more space" or "i should be making a run in behind here"

he has potential - yes, but does he have ability to push on and be Motherwell's Gareth Bale :whistling::yahoo:

he has the strength, he has the pace, he has a good left foot..............

even with Ainsworth - he came on at HT, and i was impressed -recieved the ball wide, and started to run at players, hit the byeline and drill low crosses into the box - we will score from that, whether it be Sutty or an OG, or even a corner, but after so long, he stopped doing that, and just firing high balls in - always over hit, waste of a chance

1383226965[/url]' post='398222']

I would say it was very unlike Stuart MCCall to blame the ref and poor decisions, but maybe you could provide some significant examples.I can understand everyone's frustration about Wednesday, but if you factor in the disallowed goal, header off the bar etc, it does have a big bearing on things.We won't be far away comethe end of the season,then you might get Peter Houston.