Celtic V Motherwell 5/10/13

Yabba's Turd

I've only seen a couple of matches this season and apart from the game at Tannadice I can't say I'm missing the regular fix of things claret and amber. Reading of today's match and the latest failure of McCall's team to turn up only reinforces this growing apathy.

Reading of today's match and the latest failure of McCall's team to turn up only reinforces this growing apathy.

The only SPFL team to have a go at this mob at Celtic Park in recent times has been Inverness. I am not sure what Terry does to get his side geared up for these games, but whatever it is McCall needs to try something similar.

The only SPFL team to have a go at this mob at Celtic Park in recent times has been Inverness. I am not sure what Terry does to get his side geared up for these games, but whatever it is McCall needs to try something similar.

Did we not always moan about how Butcher set us up at Parkhead and Ibrox too?

1381002605[/url]' post='397089']

Credit to Anier for puting in a decent shift while carrying a knock.

Given our slow passing approach today, I'm surprised Lawson didn't feature.

Ideal opportunity missed. In our efforts not to be outnumbered and out-passed, we were exactly that at times given Vigurs inclusion. Lawson would have offered the protection that others did not, allowing Keith and Carsewell to press further up the pitch.

Bit of belief would be a touch too...

Did we not always moan about how Butcher set us up at Parkhead and Ibrox too?

This. Plus the CIS Cup Final and finishing bottom of the league makes me think people are viewing the past with claret and amber tinted specs.

Nothing against Butcher - he was the right man at the right time for the club, but we are a better team and have played better football overall in the past few years than we ever did under Butcher.

I'm rarely critical after a defeat to Celtic (and this post might be influenced by the fact I paid £26 to get in....) but what a disappointment.

2-0 at Parkhead is nothing to be ashamed of but that was a completely uninspiring display, I don't think we broke sweat all game and I don't think Celtic had to break sweat scoring their goals. I understand games can be won in many different ways, I've no problem with cautious and defensive tactics, sitting deep and trying to frustrate the opposition (which I think we achieved to a fair extent) but it seemed like the game plan went no further than nullifying their threat. When we did get the ball, we looked scared and devoid of ideas.

I thought Carswell was decent and Hollis, despite his mistake for the first goal, dealt well with the three hundred or so passbacks and put in a few good saves. Also, Kerr and Anier looked sharp when they came on.

On a side note, fucking hell there were a lot of police watching the well support.

Welcome to following Motherwell to Scumhead one day, maybe one day we will try and attack before going one or two down what the hell have we got to loose by trying it

Celtic fan said to me at work on Friday, come and attack us and you'll probably get something. Ross county done it and should have got a point. Inverness done it and were unlucky not to win. Morton done it and did win.

Mccall needs to have a look at himself when we go to play the Glasgow big 2. Gutless.

• Like 1

Celtic fan said to me at work on Friday, come and attack us and you'll probably get something. Ross county done it and should have got a point. Inverness done it and were unlucky not to win. Morton done it and did win.

Mccall needs to have a look at himself when we go to play the Glasgow big 2. Gutless.

Pish...Ross county , never mind ifs and should have, they got beat...against Morton, Celtic created enough good chances to win 10 games but bad finishing cost them, Morton created nothing, got the pen and rode their luck to the end. Against Inverness by all accounts a draw was a fair result, again missed chances by Celtic.

The bottom line is Celtic are a better team than us, What would you rather have at Parkhead, Motherwell going for it big time and leaving space at the back, and getting pumped or playing it tight, keeping the team shape and waiting for a chance, or a set piece opportunity to maybe earn a point or maybe 3.

Why is setting up a team to get a point at least against the best team in the country on their own patch considered to be "Gutless" ? If the game had finished a draw on Saturday would we be criticising SMC for earning a point, i think not. As is the case every season anything earned against the ugly sisters is a bonus the important results are how we perfom against the other 10 teams in the league.

yes it is great to beat them and in Celtics case our recent record is not too bad over the years, (the less said about Sevco the better) but if we dont i am not worried, if you are going to lose a league game, then doing it in the same week when all your close rivals do the same is a bonus. So bring on the Hearts and lets get back to winning ways.

Ifs, buts and maybes, end of the day we don't ever go to Glasgow looking for a win except probably Thistle this season. IMO we could maybe get a win if we tried for it, playing for a draw invites them onto us and they invariably score when invited to do so.

So plan A has been proven not to work over and over, a wee change of outlook might reap rewards who knows? Certainly make it feel better if we lost trying to win it than meekly lose out the way we always seem to do. Celtic are a better team on paper than everyone in the league, but do we really need to be so obviously scared of them?We're not too shabby ourselves you know.

There is nothing wrong with a defensive game plan against the best team in the country if you have a counter offensive strategy too. Do you think the bottom half EPL teams go to Old Trafford, Etihad and Emirates stadiums with an offensive strategy? No, they defend from front to back and hope to get something on the breakaway.

it's says in the sun today that we've lost 21 out of 24 at parkhead and not scored in our last 7 visits losing them all. That is a terrible record and by far the worst of all our rivals.

By my count mccall has had 4 games at ibrox, 5 at parkhead, 6 euro games and two at hampden against the old firm and we've managed 1 draw and 16 defeats scoring 1 solitary goal.

It's time for new tactics in games where we are considered heavy outsiders.

• Like 1

it's says in the sun today that we've lost 21 out of 24 at parkhead and not scored in our last 7 visits losing them all. That is a terrible record and by far the worst of all our rivals.

By my count mccall has had 4 games at ibrox, 5 at parkhead, 6 euro games and two at hampden against the old firm and we've managed 1 draw and 16 defeats scoring 1 solitary goal.

Tend to agree with this, I feel we need to be braver when approaching games like this. Not gung-ho or reckless but just showing a tad more belief.

• Like 1

There can be no hiding place for a string of Motherwell managers (not just McCall) when playing the Old Firm on their own patch. However, our Rangers/Sevco record annoys me more than the Celtic one. The blue half barely break sweat when playing us, and I long for a manager and team who can put an end to that. In my mind our Sevco cup exit still ranks as McCall's worst ever result.

I hasten to add that I rate McCall as a manger, but it’s been a long time since I rated a manger/team when we have played the Old Firm in Glasgow.

Meanwhile over the last 80 odd games in the SPL/SPFL we have by far a better record in the top division bar Celtic.

Would rather lose at Celtic Park than the big games

Meanwhile over the last 80 odd games in the SPL/SPFL we have by far a better record in the top division bar Celtic.

Would rather lose at Celtic Park than the big games

no one is saying we have to go there and get a result.

if you read the thread prematch all anyone is saying we at least want to be positive, have a go at them and give the fans something to cheer, it was the same with everyone i spoke to at the match as well. we end up attacking at some point in every single one of these games without fail anyway so as someone else said earlier why not do it at 0-0?

mccall's record in these fixtures can't get any worse so what have we got to lose by having a go?

1381169982[/url]' post='397124']

Just watching the goals again, how woeful was that attempted challenge from McManus on Commons.

Summed up our approach to the game...

On the money with that - the gift of possession by our ex-Ross County star still grates with me though.

Am I the only one who is getting tired of hearing:

"Ahh we didn't get off to the best start, gave them too much respect ........"

Come on Stuart, universally the whole support wants you to take the Cpl Jones approach with these unwashed victims, namely "They don't like it up 'em". Next time, give them some smelling salts just before they leave the dressing room and tell them to get intae them.

While you're at it, we are so much a second half team, its been the case for most of this season and the majority of games last year isn't there anything you can do to get them firing in the first 45?

That first quote is on the official site preview video incidentally.

That away to celtic stat is awful, as is our record against Rangers

We certainly had the making of Celtic at Fir Park last year. Not just the fact we beat them twice, we totally outplayed them both times.

What angers me more is that when I was in my prime of well supporting (able to go every week), back in the mid to late nineties, we very fond of pumping the OF. I remember watching us play Rangers on SKY around 98-99. The commentator that day had said in 'recent years' Well had the best record in the league against Rangers with the exception of Celtic and the best record in the league against Celtic apart from Rangers. And this was a Well team many consider not as good as our current squad, going against old firm teams vastly superior to the teams they have now. It seems insane that its been so long since we beat Rangers. I remember us skelping them loads of times in years gone by.

For those old enough to remember, the day we ruined Rangers 9 in a row party was incredible.:yahoo: I doubt todays squad would have managed a similar fete.