Celtic V Motherwell 5/10/13

Yabba's Turd

Come on Stuart, universally the whole support wants you to take the Cpl Jones approach with these unwashed victims, namely "They don't like it up 'em". Next time, give them some smelling salts just before they leave the dressing room and tell them to get intae them.

how-to-draw-dinosaurs-133.jpg

That away to celtic stat is awful, as is our record against Rangers

We certainly had the making of Celtic at Fir Park last year. Not just the fact we beat them twice, we totally outplayed them both times.

What angers me more is that when I was in my prime of well supporting (able to go every week), back in the mid to late nineties, we very fond of pumping the OF. I remember watching us play Rangers on SKY around 98-99. The commentator that day had said in 'recent years' Well had the best record in the league against Rangers with the exception of Celtic and the best record in the league against Celtic apart from Rangers. And this was a Well team many consider not as good as our current squad, going against old firm teams vastly superior to the teams they have now. It seems insane that its been so long since we beat Rangers. I remember us skelping them loads of times in years gone by.

For those old enough to remember, the day we ruined Rangers 9 in a row party was incredible.:yahoo: I doubt todays squad would have managed a similar fete.

Ah the good old days of being pumped of Partick Thistle, Dundee etc. etc. - oh how I wish we could go back then again.....

FFS, its only a game against Celtic. You don't get extra for beating them over say Hearts etc.

Remember last year people here wishing we would do a Caley Thistle.... Cause they beat Celtic.....

.... one week after being pumped at home by a first gear Motherwell. :doh:

FFS, its only a game against Celtic. You don't get extra for beating them over say Hearts etc.

it was the only game we were playing on saturday so we should have tried harder to score. that game was a complete waste of time and money for every motherwell fan that paid in.

playing more postively against celtic isn't going to effect our results in any other games so going on about partick or dundee isn't relevant here.

• Like 1

it was the only game we were playing on saturday so we should have tried harder to score. that game was a complete waste of time and money for every motherwell fan that paid in.

playing more postively against celtic isn't going to effect our results in any other games so going on about partick or dundee isn't relevant here.

dry yer eyes FFS..and move on, we got turned over by a better team, not the 1st time and won't be the last...

• Like 1

dry yer eyes FFS..and move on, we got turned over by a better team, not the 1st time and won't be the last...

The result isn't the issue.

I can't remember a Motherwell team so completely lacking in self belief in the way they appeared to be on Saturday. Is that no worth discussing? Might as well shut the forum down then.

The result isn't the issue.

I can't remember a Motherwell team so completely lacking in self belief in the way they appeared to be on Saturday. Is that no worth discussing? Might as well shut the forum down then.

Maybe they were just better than us on the day.

they were miles better than us.

as CoF says it was the complete lack of ambition we showed from the first kick of the ball that is the problem not being beaten. it's a sore one when you realise you have paid 26 quid to watch your team make no attempt to win.

as CoF says it was the complete lack of ambition we showed from the first kick of the ball that is the problem not being beaten. it's a sore one when you realise you have paid 26 quid to watch your team make no attempt to win.

I understand the point you're making but my advice would be to stop doing it then.

You haven't learned yet? Look around you, not many still go there with any belief, hope is last to go but many have even lost that. Seems the write off attitude towards these games still has to filter through some. Young lads have an excuse though, you should know better, man of your experience :lol:

For once I am inclined to agree with Steelboy.

Call him foolish that he wants to go to Parkhead and follow his/our team. I on the otherhand admire their enthusiasm and willingness to go along to Parkhead. I gave up a long time ago... By all accounts we had a decent away following.

He/They should go there confident in the belief the team will turn up and play as well as possible and with a confidence based on the last 4 or 5 results. The outcome sadly was the same as it inevitably always is. Even McCall was annoyed, but unsurprisingly it is his job to make sure they are in the right frame of mind.

Celtic are a better team but they are/were allowed the space and time - get in their faces and show them from the off that the players are up for the battle.

I was still bemused at picking Vigurs ahead of Lawson. Maybe that was a sign of our attacking intent. Sadly again he showed his ability to lose the ball in midfield and this time we were punished. I think the fans and even McCall are running out of patience. He has a lot of talent and can pick a pass and we know he can finish, but he wants all the time in the world on the ball. I hope he comes good, but the jury is out for me at least..

Ah the good old days of being pumped of Partick Thistle, Dundee etc. etc. - oh how I wish we could go back then again.....

Remember last year people here wishing we would do a Caley Thistle.... Cause they beat Celtic.....

.... one week after being pumped at home by a first gear Motherwell. :doh:

This is absolutely correct. These were dark days indeed. I am not for one second wanting to revisit them. I was just trying to say I find it mistifying that when we were pretty pish and both halves of the OF were MUCH, MUCH better than they are now, we could hand them a regular skelping (albeit Raith Rovers or the likes would inevitably beat us 6-1 the following week :doh:). We would go into these games really beleiving we could do some damage. These days I don't even think the happiest of happy-clappers expects anything when we head to Glasow.

Therefore, logic dictates a good motherwell side should be able to beat a weaker OF side more often than a shite well side could beat OF teams with PROPER good players.

This comment is brought about by our record against the OF in the last 10 years and not Saturdays match in isolation.

I see also that there have been only 2 replies to man of the match thread. pretty sad when it reaches that stage.

I blame the strips myself. We need to go back to long sleeve jerseys so they can roll up thereir sleeves and get stuck in.

Perhaps, as some have suggested i think, lets reverse the approach. Lets go at them while it is still 0 - 0 then if they get 2 up we can revert to damage limitation. Rather than go down by 2 then start playing.

For those old enough to remember, the day we ruined Rangers 9 in a row party was incredible.:yahoo: I doubt todays squad would have managed a similar fete.

Even in those days most of our wins against them were at home. We did have some away wins but relatively few and that's why they stand out. I was there that afternoon and it was incredible but it also went a long way to saving us from a relegation play- off.

I'd love us to beating the Old Firm (well, Celtic these days) and be playing for European places but I know which I'd go for if it came down to it.

The back end of last season proved that the two schools of thoughts don't need to be mutually exclusive. You can beat Celtic and still achieve all the good things we've done in recent years. You can and should aspire to do both.

The team, playing staff and management, in my mind set themselves a high benchmark last season in those last three games against Celtic in terms of tactics, self-belief and fearlessness.

That should have been fresh enough in the memories of those who remained from last season but sadly the contrast was marked and we were timid, cagey and lacking self-belief when we began

We only ever got close to those levels from the back of last season in the last half an hour or so, but it was too late by then.

We have the ability to cause them problems when we play them, we just need to recapture that winning mentality.

• Like 1