St.johnstone V Motherwell 27/10/13

Yabba's Turd

It looked like we were going for a nothing each looking at team McCall chose but he obviously still doesn't realise that he is incapable of sending a team out who can keep it tight at the back. He was on the radio talking about how bad we were but he didn't change anything until we were two nil down and only made two subs which was a joke. After they scored he barely flinched and didn't send any instructions on at all. What can you expect from the team when the manager gives the impression he's not bothered.

Having lasley and carswell playing the wide roles in the diamond meant they had to keep looking outside rather than get properly involved and the game passed them by. The Dingwall 2 aren't good enough, vigurs is an impostor and lawson doesn't contribute anything apart from a few World Cup passes out to the fullback. The second goal summed him up.

Mchugh put in a decent shift but he's not up to it. We should bring erwin back and see how he gets on against SPL defences.

• Like 1

Honking performance today, No passmarks for anyone in my opinion. However, No point in slaughtering individuals when everyone was so poor!! Every team in the SPL are capable of this type of display, so best Putting it to bed and concentrating on Wednesday!!

• Like 1

Terrible performance but at least we have a whole three days to practice passing forwards towards the other teams goal rather than back to ours.Im sure McCall will learn from this and not play that formation again if you can call it a formation , Onwards and upwards

Utterly unprofessional approach to today's game.

Few months back, 3 players don't get on a plane for a European tie to focus on a league game with Aberdeen. Today, we don't give a 100% in a league game to focus on a cup game with Aberdeen.

For all the good things McCall does, he is incapable of striking the right balance in the run-up to a big game.

Lot of truth in this. We've seen this kind of thing before.

I said in the chatbox earlier that they always say in football that they will 'take each game as it comes' but we certainly don't.

Normally I would defend the manager but I think he got it wrong big time today.

I can understand him wanting to keep some players fresh for Wednesday night as clearly he really wants to try and win us a cup this year and this is a great opportunity, however, the tactics today were very poor given the makeshift nature of their defence.

I can understand him wanting to save Anier, Ainsworth and McFadden, however, ZFA and Moore are young boys both of whom would manage 2 games in 4 days. Playing either from the start would have at least given Saints back four something to think about.

We looked like we were set up for a 0-0 and at half time it looked like we could maybe get that or even sneak one. As soon as the goal went in he should have changed it. Took too long to make the necessary adjustments and after the second goal went in he compounded it by giving away the midfield.

It has to be said that not manybof the players seemed to fancy it today either, so not all the blame lies with the manager.

Like others have said, a win on Wednesday and all will be forgiven, but we need to go out and earn that right. Massive improvement required all round but the prize is huge.

Seeing the team line up then seeing we scored no goals doesn't come as a shocker. I don't go for this one eye on Wednesday stuff as there is a very real chance we will lose on Wednesday then not only will the sheep have papped us out the cup but are above us in the league too. IF we lose on Wednesday i would much rather at least have the consolation that we were above them in the league and for that reason alone we should have been playing our full strength team today.

First things first, IMO and 99% of Well fans, S.McCall is the right man for MFC.

However, he seems to make "recurring mistakes" in the lead up to important matches.

Players left out or rested and strange formations adopted.

Now I'm not sure about the fitness of players yesterday,but, I'd rather use the philosophy of Wee Tommy in 91 and having players fighting for the right of the jersey.

At least this way, we would have continuity of a familiar system and keep the momentum going.

Unfortunately, I think this is another example and fully expect a 2/3 - 0 pumping against Aberdeen.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Nielsen to blame for both goals in my opinion, very poor

Bit harsh. He made a wonder save from the overhead kick and then almost kept Mays shot out.

As for his slip - the pass from Ramsden was shite and put him in an uncomfortable position and he slipped in quite a big puddle - could happen to anyone.

Was unsure at the game but having now seen the highlights I would say that whist the pass back from Ramsden wasn't the best, the goalkeeper was most certainly to blame for the goal. I'm not sure if there's much between Hollis and Neilsen to be honest.

Also, how bad does a handball have to be before we get a penalty?!?! That's 2 weeks in a row we've had really good claims waved away!

Was unsure at the game but having now seen the highlights I would say that whist the pass back from Ramsden wasn't the best, the goalkeeper was most certainly to blame for the goal. I'm not sure if there's much between Hollis and Neilsen to be honest.

Also, how bad does a handball have to be before we get a penalty?!?! That's 2 weeks in a row we've had really good claims waved away!

Not forgetting the stonewaller in Inverness when Vigurs was chopped down in the box. Add to the soft one Aberdeen got at Fir Park, I make it arguably 4-5 penalty decisions that have all gone against us.

As for the second goal. Neilson made a mistake but I still blame Lawson whose stupid pass to Ramsden whilst Stevie May was a few yards away and the subsequent pass for Ramsden which was hit well away from Neilson and meant he was scrambling across his box on a very wet and windy day. Neither of these crap passes and decisions were made and Neilson has no decision to make and we probably don't concede a soft second goal.

McCall's s after match interview was telling. They matched up to our formation after 10 minutes and that gave them the upper hand, well why not change it again.

It was poor tactics from the Manager and poor performance by the players. Epitomised by May racing in to score the 1st and anticipating exactly what happened, all the while Hammell and McManus stood rooted to the spot!

I can only assume that Anier and Ainsworth were carrying slight knocks and McCall did not want to take a chance what with the weather and the game on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Bit harsh. He made a wonder save from the overhead kick and then almost kept Mays shot out.

As for his slip - the pass from Ramsden was shite and put him in an uncomfortable position and he slipped in quite a big puddle - could happen to anyone.

Wonder save?! He palmed it straight back out into the 6 yard box!! Fundamentals of goalkeeping are that you palm it somewhere which isn't straight to an attacker.

• Like 1

Wonder save?! He palmed it straight back out into the 6 yard box!! Fundamentals of goalkeeping are that you palm it somewhere which isn't straight to an attacker.

The fundamentals of goalkeeping are that you keep it out the net anyway you can. Nielsen did that and the ball was there to be won in the box. Sadly, our defenders were sitting on their heels, while Stevie May was alert to what was actually happening.

That goal seemed to sum up the lethargy of the team yesterday. There were about 4 balls to be won in the lead up to the goal and we lost every battle.

Blaming Nielsen seems pretty short sighted to me.

Sometimes McCall needs slapped. Cracking chance to go second squandered because he had an eye on the next game instead of trying to win the one in front of him. Not liking his attitude this year.

It starts to go wrong for McCall when he starts to over think things. Stick tae what your best at Stuart your no a great tactician.

It was a decent save!

Almost hit at him from point blank range, he did very well to keep it out. Was also unfortunate not to keep out Mays shot.

Sometimes McCall needs slapped. Cracking chance to go second squandered because he had an eye on the next game instead of trying to win the one in front of him. Not liking his attitude this year.

And yet there have been a number of people on here all going on about how they don't care about finishing second this year, the cups are far more important. He can't win sometimes.

• Like 1

A good save by Nielsen, maybe not " a wonder save" but he did his job and kept it out, its a pity the rest of the defence failed to do their's and stood around watching Stevie May running in to score.

Really cannot understand the criticism of Lawson. I think he's a good player, limited appearances so far but has not let us down yet - he's a Jennings type player, not a lasley or law....and even jennings struggled to get a start in his first 6 months with us. He's one of the few (only even?) who looked like he gave a shite that we were losing yesterday.

Poor performance from the whole team though, few with pass marks and a few brutal individual performances. We can point the finger at who we like but in the end of the day we were pish and were never winning that game approaching it the way we did.

Hope and expect to see an improvement on Wednesday.

• Like 1

1382989031[/url]' post='397917']

Really cannot understand the criticism of Lawson. I think he's a good player, limited appearances so far but has not let us down yet - he's a Jennings type player, not a lasley or law....and even jennings struggled to get a start in his first 6 months with us. He's one of the few (only even?) who looked like he gave a shite that we were losing yesterday.

Poor performance from the whole team though, few with pass marks and a few brutal individual performances. We can point the finger at who we like but in the end of the day we were pish and were never winning that game approaching it the way we did.

Hope and expect to see an improvement on Wednesday.

wacko.gif In no way is Lawson a 'Jennings type player'. And that's not a criticism...

The jury is still out on Lawson for me, partly because we've not seen as much of him as I would have expected by now due to the brilliant early season form of Carswell, but I'm hearing a lot of the same "he never wastes a pass" chat that I heard about Bob Malcolm, and he is certainly not the benchmark for a Motherwell central midfielder.

It just concerns me that there is a need to rest players. If Arnier, Ainsworth and co. were felt that a break was needed at this stage in their career then it's not encouraging.

A few worthy comments have been made about McCall so far and while its easy to jump on the bandwagon after a lacklustre display I wonder how many games we've sneaked something due to his tactical nonse and changes. Don't get me wrong, it appear to this layman that those changes come after perseverance for too long.

Something is being made of St. Johnstone's defence being makeshift. They had 2 centre halves asked to play 15 yards further right and left of where they normally sit, not a major shock to them Stevie Kirk pulling on a keepers jersey is a major shift in position.

It would be novel if we did go out with a game plan and while keeping the what the other team are capable of fresh, set out our stall and let the other team worry about countering us too much rather than vice versa.

Finally all the Hollis haters, maybe he isn't that bad after all. While Nielsen wasn't fully culpable for either he was instrumental, I thought the overhead kick could have benefited a punch rather than a parry and Ramsden's back pass again an example of getting the basic's wrong and immediately getting pressure.

1383002644[/url]' post='397930']

I have to agree think Lawson is similar to Jennings, I think in time he will come good along with Vigurs but never playing in a midfield along with Lasley and Carswell all to slow 3 players too similar but hope we learn from our mistakes p

Again, in what way? Understanding Lawson's limited game time, but, Steve Jennings, whilst breaking down opposing attacks can be credited with driving us forward quickly and pressing higher up the field, polar opposite from Paul Lawson.

From Sunday's match, a midfield that was set-up not to be out fought and overrun was exactly that, outfought and overrun. Don't doubt there is a player there, but, shoe-horning him and Vigurs into a tried and tested system isn't productive and we've suffered for it.

Further to that, McHugh again showed he's no foil for the main striker. His general awareness and off the ball movement belies the fact he scores for fun in reserve football. How do we harness that?

Again, in what way? Understanding Lawson's limited game time, but, Steve Jennings, whilst breaking down opposing attacks can be credited with driving us forward quickly and pressing higher up the field, polar opposite from Paul Lawson.

From Sunday's match, a midfield that was set-up not to be out fought and overrun was exactly that, outfought and overrun. Don't doubt there is a player there, but, shoe-horning him and Vigurs into a tried and tested system isn't productive and we've suffered for it.

Further to that, McHugh again showed he's no foil for the main striker. His general awareness and off the ball movement belies the fact he scores for fun in reserve football. How do we harness that?

I agree 100% about Lawson.

On McHugh, time's up. I like the guy and would like to have seen him do well for us but it's not going to happen. We have two first team strikers who have built a decent partnership and chipped in with a few goals plus two hotter prospects to bring through so there's no place for Bob I'm afraid. And that's before even mentioning the possibility of Faddy getting fit. I imagine he'll sign for someone like Airdrie or Dumbarton and score double figures every season and good luck to him,

• Like 1