Motherwell Vs Hibs 3/11/13

MelvinBragg

Faddy's pre-season was impacted due to hamstring injury sustained at Cowdenbeath, it would appear that he's struggled to shake it until now. He showed flashes today although clearly off the pace. Although, according to McCall on Radio Scotland lasted a fair bit longer than expected. They thought he would manage 45 mins as he recovers.

I don't have any problems in believing any of this.

Let's hope he continues to recover and give the guys that support the team something to shout about.

Wow if that was him arguing id hate to see him mildly disagree, he would be sleeping. There are a few fannys in every crowd and sitting behind the manager he can hear them Good on you Stuart They were most likely the ones pishing their pants last season

And they are our more ahem "mature" fans as well who probably do piss their pants on a regular basisevilgrin.gifand should really know better as they will have seen us play a hell of a lot worse in their time.Heard one arsehole shouting "McCall you don't know what you're doing". Really? that's why we're sitting third in the league is it.

One poor performance and they all crawl out the woodwork, christ knows what it would have been like if we had actually lost

In my opinion any Motherwell fan who shouts abuse at a player wearing Claret & Amber or Stuart McCall is a disgrace.

I don't agree that if you pay your money that you are entitled to verbally abuse one of your own team, it helps absolutely nobody.

The idiot in the main stand, a guy I assume, shouted something that annoyed the manager in the last couple of minutes when Anier lost possession when trying to run the ball towards the corner flag at the north end of the main stand. Stuart turned around, looked up to where the person was and appeared to mouth "what, what".

At the end, he again turned in the direction of where the shouting had come from and pointed at his head as if to indicate that guy shouting was an idiot.

No matter what was happening on the pitch verbally abusing any player trying his best is utterly pointless and shouting abuse at McCall is beyond belief. 2nd position, 5 league home wins in a row, what do these clowns want? You are not going to get silky football every game, winning is what it's all about.

The negativity towards some of our players and staff is unwarranted.

In Fir Park Corner someone by the tag of Yazz posted the comments below. I have no idea the posters age or how long he has been following Motherwell but he needs to get a grip of reality.

Yes Aberdeen appear to have improved but them aside, would any 'Well fan swap places with fans of Hibs, Hearts, Utd or Killie.

I have been following Motherwell for 50 years and for those younger than me please trust me when I say that the last 10 years or so are amongst the best.

If you can't have some enjoyment out of top 2 or 3 final positions and Europe qualification then go follow Hibs, Hearts or whoever but if you're a true Motherwell fan get behind the team and enjoy the roller-coaster.

Granted our record in cup competitions could be better and our European games have been dire but it isn't going to get much better. This is life as a Motherwell fan.

Yes you can criticise/argue/disagree with team tactics/selection but enjoy it while it lasts.

I've too many bad memories of relegation fights and defeats to lower league teams that losing in Europe may hurt at the time but not half as much as losing to Alloa and the rest.

Yazz quote "Our duggout is tactically inept and what happened to plundering the English lower-leagues ? Law and ****kall else imho. Motherwell, ICT, St johnstone have struck it lucky of late. With Rangers gone, Hearts in turmoil, Utd and Hibs and Killie tightening the pursestrings and Aberdeen being clueless, this wee tightly run 3 have been very fortunate to take advantage. This wont last forever. If the Byns survive they'll be back with us in 2015. Aberdeen have already turned the corner - and the potential resources at Hibs Hearts Utd Killie will always far outstretch ours so they wont be more shyte than us for long ------ and then our day will come".

• Like 1

Wasn't there today, nor did I get a chance to watch the game tonight so I won't comment on the display.

A win is a win. Always has been, always will be. Some are pretty and some aren't. Fair to say, I tend to criticise more often than not on here nowadays, but it's nice to see us make an improvement on the last two games.

On Faddy, I think he is a game changer, and that's how he has to be used. I don't think he can be expected to start a game and make an impact. Considering he is nursing numerous knee cartilage and tendon injuries, on top of a hamstring tear from pre-season, I never expected him to be a performer this season. Or at least not until December/January time. But I think he would benefit from playing the last 20 minutes of games, rather than the first 45.

In the Aberdeen match thread, I was very quick to criticise McCalls tactics, but then I realised that there is a reason he is the manager and not me. Think a win, regardless of tactics is good, but defeat due to tactics is bad. It's a bit of a catch 22 scenario for him.

I was concerned when we signed Faddy last season that he might be struggling with injuries for weeks at a time. Turned out not to be the case and he had a great spell for us.

Unfortunately, so far this season, my concerns have been realised. It's a bigger worry this time around as he is one of the few creative players we now have in the squad and we are more reliant on guys like him unlock opposition defences.

Of course, if there weren't these concerns hanging over him, we wouldn't have been able to sign him, so it's a double edged sword. Hopefully, his progress will continue and he'll get back to fully fit (and match fit) in the next few weeks.

As for the game itself, it was an ugly win, but a great 3 points when we really needed it. From what McCall said in his post-match comments, it sounded like we had a number of injuries at half time (including guys like Carswell) so it was to their credit that they managed to hang on with a clean sheet.

I have been following Motherwell for 50 years and for those younger than me please trust me when I say that the last 10 years or so are amongst the best.

The problem is some of these fuckers doing the spleen venting have been going longer than I have. Trust me, a bell-end is a bell-end no matter what the age.

• Like 1

The second half was one of the worst games of football I can remember seeing in a long time. Every player, (apart from Sutton who at least tried to bring people into the game) no matter where he was on the pitch, no matter which way he was facing and no matter who was beside him, hoofed the ball as far up the park as he could. Faddy couldn't control the ball, lost possession and looked like he's lost his first touch. We couldn't string two passes together or keep possession and it looked like nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing. With injuries and lack of quality to bring in, we will really struggle over the next few games.

However, a win is a win. :mellow:

Mccall arguing with fans at final whistle. Really he should know better.

It was quite amusing, the boy he was arguing with was sitting about 4 rows back in the Main Stand. 5 mins to go he shouts "Do something McCall."

McCall turns and says "Do what?"

"Make them play better" came the reply.

McCall then rightly gave him both barrels at time up.

It was quite amusing, the boy he was arguing with was sitting about 4 rows back in the Main Stand. 5 mins to go he shouts "Do something McCall."

McCall turns and says "Do what?"

"Make them play better" came the reply.

McCall then rightly gave him both barrels at time up.

To be fair we are all guilty of those comments and probably sounds like a result of frustration. Probably should have muttered them rather than shouted.

The truth is that last 20 minutes it was one way traffic. Simply because we could not hold the ball up front for longer than a nano second....

We have been lucky that Killie, Thistle and to an extent Hibs do not have clinical strikers or 3 home wins could easily have been defeats and draws. As stated on an earlier post, play like that against United and they will not be so profligate..

When all is said and done we have just won 5 home games on the bounce, sit joint 2nd and have more points this season than last season with a team that everybody thinks was better and stronger. GO FIGURE....

Me - I am quite happy with our League from this year and hope we get a favourable draw in the Sc Cup tomorrow.

MON THE WELLcheers.gif

Faddy's been honking but if we never signed him then we would've signed Dougie Imrie and that's an entirely different kind of honking. :stink:

Myth. Dougie Imrie was never ever on the cards, it was never even a conversation.

When all is said and done we have just won 5 home games on the bounce, sit joint 2nd and have more points this season than last season with a team that everybody thinks was better and stronger. GO FIGURE....

Me - I am quite happy with our League from this year and hope we get a favourable draw in the Sc Cup tomorrow.

MON THE WELLcheers.gif

Completley agree however I would say that the level of competition really is shite. If we had last seasons team, and if they were able to recapture the form of the last 3 months of last season then I expect we would be sitting top of the league right now and giving Celtic serious cause for concern.

We would all be creaming ourselves, at least for a few minutes until we started having a meltdown that all our players would be leaving in January.

Completley agree however I would say that the level of competition really is shite. If we had last seasons team, and if they were able to recapture the form of the last 3 months of last season then I expect we would be sitting top of the league right now and giving Celtic serious cause for concern.

And if we had the team that won the cup in '91 we'd be serious contenders for the league title. Fantasy football is great, isn't it?

Unfortunately, we have none of that. We have what we have, which is a decent team thus far with a bit of potential to improve.

We're sitting joint 2nd at the start of November in a season where I'd consider a top six finish our realistic aim. That's not too bad, especially if you buy into the Scottish media's belief that this seasons Aberdeen are the 2nd coming of Fergie's Dons and McLeans United all rolled into one big red bundle, and that they are the only real contenders for 2nd spot.

We're doing not too bad, and long may it continue.

From reading the posts since yesterday, I'm definitely in the minority, but I actually thought we played well for the first 45 minutes. Anier had some great chances that on another day would have gone in, and there was some nice play from the front men and from both wings. I actually though that McFadden, in the first half, was having probably his best game so far this season. He was taking people on, played some lovely passes, and looked dangerous.

Again, I thought we started the second half well enough, but just before Hammell's injury, and then for the rest of the match afterwards, we looked increasingly nervous in defence and just couldn't hold onto the ball. Perhaps, given the previous two results, the crowd reaction to those, and the importance to get back to winning ways led to the team being even more nervous about conceding. McFadden tired and started making the wrong decision, Ainsworth fell away completely and stopped covering Kerr, and the middle two kept getting caught up the park, leaving the defence wide open. Fortunately, some decent performances from Nielsen, McManus and Kerr, we managed to keep the ball out of the net.

We certainly caused problems for ourselves more than Hibs created chances, but given the way the first half went, you could probably say that we just about deserved it. We could have been out of sight by half time, with a little luck in front of goal. Given the number of injuries mentioned by McCall on the radio after the match, I'm happy enough with the win, gives us something to build on. Saturday's a worry though, given that by the end of the match we had Ramsden, McManus, Hammell, Lasley, Carswell, McFadden and Ainsworth carrying injuries/knocks, and Hutch suspended.

On a positive note, I thought Fraser Kerr was solid when he came on. I've been critical of him in the past, but he covered the entire back line and made some crucial blocks, mostly without any cover from Ainsworth. Hammell/Angol, McManus, Cummins/Murray and Kerr for Saturday then. Oddly, I'm strangely optimistic for this one.

• Like 2

I heard from a Morton fan, who appeared to be in the know Imrie was waiting to see if we signed faddy before he took them up on their deal.

Straight from the horses mouth. No contact from MFC whatsoever, more likely his agent trying to drum up interest.

From reading the posts since yesterday, I'm definitely in the minority, but I actually thought we played well for the first 45 minutes. Anier had some great chances that on another day would have gone in, and there was some nice play from the front men and from both wings. I actually though that McFadden, in the first half, was having probably his best game so far this season. He was taking people on, played some lovely passes, and looked dangerous.

Again, I thought we started the second half well enough, but just before Hammell's injury, and then for the rest of the match afterwards, we looked increasingly nervous in defence and just couldn't hold onto the ball. Perhaps, given the previous two results, the crowd reaction to those, and the importance to get back to winning ways led to the team being even more nervous about conceding. McFadden tired and started making the wrong decision, Ainsworth fell away completely and stopped covering Kerr, and the middle two kept getting caught up the park, leaving the defence wide open. Fortunately, some decent performances from Nielsen, McManus and Kerr, we managed to keep the ball out of the net.

We certainly caused problems for ourselves more than Hibs created chances, but given the way the first half went, you could probably say that we just about deserved it. We could have been out of sight by half time, with a little luck in front of goal. Given the number of injuries mentioned by McCall on the radio after the match, I'm happy enough with the win, gives us something to build on. Saturday's a worry though, given that by the end of the match we had Ramsden, McManus, Hammell, Lasley, Carswell, McFadden and Ainsworth carrying injuries/knocks, and Hutch suspended.

On a positive note, I thought Fraser Kerr was solid when he came on. I've been critical of him in the past, but he covered the entire back line and made some crucial blocks, mostly without any cover from Ainsworth. Hammell/Angol, McManus, Cummins/Murray and Kerr for Saturday then. Oddly, I'm strangely optimistic for this one.

Very accurate description But most fans have short memories .ie about 30 mins