Albion Rovers V Motherwell 30/11/13

Toxteth O'Grady

Saddest thing about today was the result wasn't overly surprising given our horrible 'style' of play and sheer lack of fitness this season.

Despite what the happy clappers have been spouting since August, this is one of the worst Motherwell teams in my 25 years of going to the games.

Given that the club continues to preach to us about the Well Society to keep the club afloat, our cup performances have been unacceptable since May 2011. Today however is unforgivable.

Full credit to Albion Rovers, came away feeling pretty chuffed for a bunch of part-timers that comfortably held their own against overpaid professionals.

• Like 1

Unbelievably Bad!! Up there with one of the worst performances/results i've witnessed in 40yrs!!

Deservedly beaten by a bunch of part time players who worked their arses off. To be beaten shows a total lack of professionalism and hunger by the players to do well for themselves or the club, they should be ashamed of their performance today!!

People are skint just now, coming up to xmas where the average guy in the stand has to fork out when they don't have it. I don't want to be disrespectful of anyone never mind our players but these guys cannot understand or comprehend how much they are earning, compared to the average hard working guy in the street and how fortunate they are to do something they supposedly love!!

What I witnessed today were a bunch of players who do not love their job or profession. I wish they could get a dose of reality and get up in the morning and humph their arses to a dead end job without any plaudits or bonuses. A lot of them think they are so hard done to as well, happily mentioning to the press of them "taking a drop in wages" to come here etc etc , 80% of them would be very lucky to get a job in MacDonalds if it wasn't for their so called ability!!

The Scottish Cup is our only real chance of proper glory in a season and a potential saviour of our club moneywise, peoples backsides should be getting properly booted over the next weeks or so......shocking stuff and a very bad day for our club!!

• Like 2

Unbelievably Bad!! Up there with one of the worst performances/results i've witnessed in 40yrs!!

Deservedly beaten by a bunch of part time players who worked their arses off. To be beaten shows a total lack of professionalism and hunger by the players to do well for themselves or the club, they should be ashamed of their performance today!!

People are skint just now, coming up to xmas where the average guy in the stand has to fork out when they don't have it. I don't want to be disrespectful of anyone never mind our players but these guys cannot understand or comprehend how much they are earning, compared to the average hard working guy in the street and how fortunate they are to do something they supposedly love!!

What I witnessed today were a bunch of players who do not love their job or profession. I wish they could get a dose of reality and get up in the morning and humph their arses to a dead end job without any plaudits or bonuses. A lot of them think they are so hard done to as well, happily mentioning to the press of them "taking a drop in wages" to come here etc etc , 80% of them would be very lucky to get a job in MacDonalds if it wasn't for their so called ability!!

The Scottish Cup is our only real chance of proper glory in a season and a potential saviour of our club moneywise, peoples backsides should be getting properly booted over the next weeks or so......shocking stuff and a very bad day for our club!!

Sums it up perfectly. All playing and coaching staff should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

One team turned up wanting to win. One team didn't turn up, yet expected to win.

The fans were more interesting than the game, of course it didn't help that I couldn't see the first 15 mins through the smoke dry.gif no doubt a fine coming for the 1 that got chucked on and caused the game to be stopped, not sure about the broken seats though, I never saw any of that and was sat right behind them.

As for the game 'absolute shite' about covers it, sorry but McFadden should be nowhere near the starting 11 at the moment, he looks unfit and disinterested and if it was anybody else they would be on the bench til they showed some improvement.Carswell is the most backward thinking player I've seen in a long time, always plays safe passes and slowed the game down far too much.Lawson was just as bad and somebody tell me why we had 2 holding midfielders today.The passing from the back was slow and the build up was far too predictable.Nobody had a clue how to break them down and resorted to pumping hopeful balls into the front 2.Albion played it like a proper cup tie, we played it like we expected to just turn up and go through.Shocking performance which has to be up there as 1 of our worst.

Don't beat about the bush.....say what you really mean

Usually try to say something positive about the team/game but there really was nothing to draw comfort from today. Could try and disect it but there would be no point. It was a collective failure from top to bottom.

Even as someone who tries to look on the positive whenever possible there's no defending it is there?

I've seen similar before (Alloa - who were actually bottom of the bottom division when they beat us, rather than second bottom like Rovers) and may well see it again but in the here and now it's just seems incomprehensible that Albion Rovers should beat us, and deservedly beat us at that.

The longer the game went on the more like the Aberdeen game it became an accident waiting to happen. They might not have had a huge amount of the ball but they had the two best chances of the first half and there was a noticeable edginess every time they got close to our box in the second.

That we had one shot on target the full game against a bottom league team speaks volumes. There was no zip, no creativity and few willing to take any responsibility.

Awful as is the result is it also has some pretty big implications going forward. We still have a decent fist of a chance of making Europe though direct results against our fellow competitors tend to suggest we may be a little down the pecking order there, which could very well mean our season is done and dusted with months to spare. I can't imagine that will do much for crowds.

And lack of money coming in from cup runs this season is surely only going to decrease the budget we'll be operating with next season.

But back to today and in finishing you have to say hats off to Rovers, they did themselves proud and deserve all the praise and publicity that will come their way as a consequence of their win.

• Like 1

Took my six year old to his first away game today. It's only his third season so he's not had to suffer too much. Given it's probably the worst result I can remember seeing, hopefully it'll be his lowest point.

His assessment? The players didn't use their brains. And hard to argue with that. The decision making was atrocious. If that were the only problem today, I'd be less concerned.

The problems have been done to death already on this thread. No point me repeating what others have said. What the question is, is what we do from here? I'd be tempted to say flood the team with youngsters but there are a couple of issues there. On the basis of Angol, Carswell, Moore, Cummins and Kerr, are our young players good enough? And can we really justify having the wages of senior players sitting on the bench?

I don't honestly know. More worryingly, tonight I don't care that much...

Not long back. We went out for something to eat and a drink after the match and I'd hoped I'd begin to feel better but I'm still pretty fucked off to be honest.

Where do you start? Rank, route one football on display again. We were so slow and pedestrian. One paced, lethargic, no urgency and no passion. Some of our boys shat out of several tackles as well as the Rovers boys threw themselves into every one. It's a cliché but they fought and scrapped for everything, we didn't and that's what hurt most. In these games the first rule is to match your opponents for effort and endeavour and then let your football do the talking. I mean if we'd had 10 shots on target with their keeper having a blinder, shots hacked off the line and cracking the woodwork and they'd scored with their only attempt on goal then you could say fair enough these things can happen. Would have still hurt but I could at least accept it easier knowing we'd given our all. The fact their keeper only had one save to make(a header from a set piece) in over 90 mins of football against a part time team who earn a fraction of what our players do is fucking pathetic.

To be fair to McCall that team he had out had 6 full internationals in it. Fair enough one is from Antigua and Barbuda and the other the Faeroe Islands but it also had an Estonian International and three full Scottish Internationals. Now when I saw the team I was underwhelmed and uninspired as I thought it would be a turgid game where we'd struggle to a 2 or 3 goal win with a couple of late goals or something. Sadly I gave them too much fucking credit. I never even thought for a second they might lose, sadly the players looked to have approached it with an attitude that suggested they felt the same way. Same problems we've had all season but McCall persists with the same formations and same long ball tactics. Even Maurice Malpas wouldn't have set his teams out to hit long balls towards Bob McHugh. Baffling. The team looked unfit, labored, poorly motivated and disinterested. No urgency or desire from anyone playing for Motherwell today, felt like a fucking pre-season friendly at times and Albion Rovers probably created as much as we did which fucking says it all really.

Also why the fuck did we only have 5 subs? Where was Moore? Erwin? With Ainsworth and Vigurs out we surely must have had a winger from the U20's who has a bit of pace/creativity that could at the very least have had a seat on the bench just in case? Nah, let's start with a left back on the left wing and continue to persist with Faddy wide right (cause it's worked so well before this season) and two defensive midfielders. And when that doesn't work we can take ZFA and Faddy off and bring on another two central midfielders. I genuinely 'lolled' when he done that. If you didn't laugh you'd greet and we ended up with Lasley/Carswell on the right wing, I think, it was quite hard to tell what McCall was going for at that point. I was pretty much past caring at that stage as my mind had drifted towards the replay..

When Rovers scored I wasn't even that surprised, I wasn't even that angry. I just got up and headed towards the exit. It was quite a sight to stand back and see 2,500 'Well fans booing with a fair few hurling abuse at McCall and belting out a loud chorus of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' as the full time whistle went and we trudged off the pitch. Glad I stayed to the end though to clap the Rovers players, they deserved it today for their fantastic, battling display.They even put together some decent moves which put our 'pro's' hoofball effort's to shame.

Well done to Rovers, fantastic today and the scenes at the end for a club like there's were fantastic.

As for us, deary me. Nearly 15 years going to the football and today was the definitive low point in terms of results. Will be my last away game for a while I think, Aberdeen and Ross County are the next two and I just can't justify the money for what's being served up, especially at this time of year. That's the third time in our last four away games where we've failed to score and managed just one shot on target over the 90 mins. I can handle losing, it's the level of performance and the football on offer that's scunnering me at the minute. Just can't justify the money just now, even to myself.

Have my season ticket and will be there on Friday, it's going to have to be some fucking performance to get over this right enough.

Scunnered.

• Like 1

And can we really justify having the wages of senior players sitting on the bench?

We have a wages budget for the season that pays the playing staff. I don't think a players individual wage should have any influence on his position in the pecking order or team selection.

We need to give more young players a chance. The only positive from today is that Jack Leitch came on for his debut and did more in his cameo appearance than many established players like Lawson and McFadden who were both dire.

Guys like him, Moore, Erwin, Murray and others should now be introduced. Guys like Francis-Angol, Carswell and other more established young players won't be done any harm by taking a step down for a bit. It will either spur them on or prove they weren't worth a place any way.

If we introduce a wider range of young players and even only one or two of them prove themselves it will have been worth it.

Outplayed by Albion Rovers. They deserved to win my arse!

They defended in depth and defended stoutly. They threw themselves into the tackle and definitely looked as if they were more interested than our players.

But to say they deserved to win is bollocks. A draw was a fair result. The fact it never came about was not surprising. I said to my mates with 20 mins to go I could sense a sucker punch coming. Sadly it did.

It was depressing and how we are 3rd in the league is one of life's mysteries. Defence is OK and attack is also OK. Where we are struggling BIG time is in midfield. Where do I start - Faddy is showing week by week he is less likely to turn back into the footballer we hoped he was. carswell is solid if uninspiring. Lawson and Angol oh dear. We are bereft of creativity and pace and it shows every week and boy did it show today. lasely injected a sense of urgency but a little to late.

One silver lining is the final is at Pork head. Not that we would have got close but going their to watch us play Celtic would be far from enjoyable experience.

Gutted but worse things in life by some distance.