Albion Rovers V Motherwell 30/11/13

Toxteth O'Grady

Had a night to sleep on it ......... Woke up to 6 msgs giving me pelters even from Airdrie supporting mates!! This is going to be a runner I think!!

All you need remind your Airdrie mates is of their 7-2 defeat to Rovers a year or two back. Momentous victory as it was for them there are plenty Rovers fans who will cherish that 7-2 game more then yesterday.

Probably feel worse now than when the whistle went yesterday. Part of me isn't surprised. Every single signing in the summer has been an absolute failure and brought nothing to the team. Every single one of them. The Fitba on display this season has been horrific from the first game at Easter Road culminating in that yesterday.

Based on the above, part of me feels McCall really should offer his resignation as I don't see a way back for him. We're a laughing stock and he may well have lost the support of the fans.

McCalls interview is a joke. He couldn't have a go at the players for their effort it was just a lack of quality !!! A lack of quality against a team 3rd bottom of the 3rd division !! The only thing i could say to that is get a grip stuart i know sometimes managers should take the heat for the players but yesterday we needed to hear some truths which would involve ripping the players a new arsehole and he never even gave us that !

No need to give McCall the boot. Whether the football is shyte or not we ARE sitting 3rd top not 3rd bottom and somehow we have won 8 games.

In saying that my goodwill for McCall is running low. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the team he put out should have been good enough to see off Albion.

But I am thinking that Erwin and/or Moore would have been better options than McHugh. It was a chance to mix it up and give others a chance to make an impression other than the obvious choices who have shown time and again they have not got it in them.

As for the summer signings I don't think anyone complained when we signed Vigurs and Lawson and certainly not when McFadden re-signed. It has not worked out. My main concern is that McCall is seemingly unable to fine alternative systems and the players playing appear out of position.

• Like 1

Listened to the radio on the way to the game, and Gordon Dalziel called it correctly. He couldn't understand why we didn't put out our best eleven and win the game first and then substitute where required. Equally McCall has been totally disrespectful to the Motherwell support by defending the attitute of the team he put on the park. They lacked fight, they lacked desire and they lacked quality. I could have played instead of Lawson, he hardly made a forward pass, and when he did he mainly gave the ball away. I know I shouldn't single out any individual, as they were all culpable and lacked a sense of passion and urgency to go and win the game. A sorry day for all the supporters who had to sit through that excrutiating excuse for a football match, and I've seen a few over the many years I've supported Motherwell. If the team were to go out with the same attitude on Friday, they will get hammered!

Mccall only needed to make one change yesterday and that was due to vigurs injury. We played decent against Killie and our two forwards grabbed goals. Why disrupt the winning feeling??

McCall's problem as always is when he needs to think. The more he thinks, the more shambolic the team or system becomes.

• Like 1

The writing was on the wall since the squad got split between Morecambe and Cowdenbeath 10 days before a European tie. We are still no closer to finding any continuity.

either then or a few weeks later , writing off the European tie and not even trying to win the game, gave the message that we don't need to fight and play as a team.

we've been dealt some tough hands this season, but McCall and Black have not impressed at all, when dealing with it, but more worrying is the self inflicted damage with squad rotation and crazy positional selections.

Ive said it all along, any player should have to play to claim a squad place, if your injured or tired or suspended you lose your place, if whoever steps in does as good a job they keep the place. McCall every season has been guilty of trying to shoehorn his favourites in over others who performed well, its worked for him as we've had better and fitter players who stepped back in, this season, his choices , have left all wondering , what the first team really is? and what the stand ins have to do to keep their place.

yesterdays selection should have been good enough, if they were keen and motivated, but not having the players ready from the bench is an insult to the paying punters and the players left out.

Un-professional? no, probably worse, just lazy , with a poor attitude and under prepared.

EDIT:

McCall's problem as always is when he needs to think. The more he thinks, the more shambolic the team or system becomes.

and this is so true it hurts,

No need to give McCall the boot. Whether the football is shyte or not we ARE sitting 3rd top not 3rd bottom and somehow we have won 8 games.

In saying that my goodwill for McCall is running low. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the team he put out should have been good enough to see off Albion.

But I am thinking that Erwin and/or Moore would have been better options than McHugh. It was a chance to mix it up and give others a chance to make an impression other than the obvious choices who have shown time and again they have not got it in them.

As for the summer signings I don't think anyone complained when we signed Vigurs and Lawson and certainly not when McFadden re-signed. It has not worked out. My main concern is that McCall is seemingly unable to fine alternative systems and the players playing appear out of position.

This is right on the money.

For all those advocating getting rid of him, the cost associated with 18 months left of his contract would be prohibitive and no doubt cost us another 1 or 2 first team players. Anyone remember the list of those who we spoke to after Craig and Archie left and decided to steer clear? A manager with a cup final, and no less than top 4 finishes since he started getting punted and sitting third (granted after a humiliating defeat) getting given the heave-ho wouldn't really instil someone else with much hope for a job with longevity with a fickle employer.

A back to basics, ignore our current league position, approach is needed. Our current points tally and Hearts sanction means we are safe come May 2014. So lets start again, look at fostering new tactics, blooding players with genuine hunger and encouraging those who have a pedigree to show us some of it.

Tactical nonse, spirit and fight under McCall's stewardship is the way forward. It will come good but when it does is down to endeavour and desire.

• Like 1

It's a sad day when you are hoping the centre back will keep on going forward and have a crack at goal himself.

I was in Spice of Life Stand and I could have been at Wimbledon as my head was flicking from left to right most of the game ( except when Rovers attacked ). I remember games where we would break away and attack the opposition goal (long memory :) ) . Today we break away , stop, go sideways or back and allow the opposition defence time to get themselves organised and then eventually lose the ball through bad passing or trying the hopeful cross into the box which could have been done 6 passes earlier !

Anyhoo , I feel we also lack LEADERSHIP on the pitch , someone to boot the occasional backside and get that spirit going ( " it's a cup tie ffs").

Everything seems so 'safe' nowadays , the sideways / back pass , stick to the plan and when you have no options left the big punt forward .

I can't pick out any player to blame for yesterday as it is a collective embarrassment but I hope each has a good look at themselves and asks ' did I give it my all?'

Being the 'well we'll probably give the Cellic a roastin on Friday. been here so many times whistling.gif

• Like 1

It's a sad day when you are hoping the centre back will keep on going forward and have a crack at goal himself.

I was in Spice of Life Stand and I could have been at Wimbledon as my head was flicking from left to right most of the game ( except when Rovers attacked ). I remember games where we would break away and attack the opposition goal (long memory :) ) . Today we break away , stop, go sideways or back and allow the opposition defence time to get themselves organised and then eventually lose the ball through bad passing or trying the hopeful cross into the box which could have been done 6 passes earlier !

Anyhoo , I feel we also lack LEADERSHIP on the pitch , someone to boot the occasional backside and get that spirit going ( " it's a cup tie ffs").

Everything seems so 'safe' nowadays , the sideways / back pass , stick to the plan and when you have no options left the big punt forward .

I can't pick out any player to blame for yesterday as it is a collective embarrassment but I hope each has a good look at themselves and asks ' did I give it my all?'

Being the 'well we'll probably give the Cellic a roastin on Friday. been here so many times whistling.gif

This.

Ask yourself would Crags have left any one of those players with a head on their shoulders yesterday?

Much as I rate Keith Lasley as a player I have said in numerous occasions he isn't strong enough to be captain when things are going tits up

• Like 1

yesterday was ideal to give moore another start and to introduce erwin at some stage of the game so for neither to be involved and now both are playing for the under 20s today is baffling

From start to finish yesterday from Team Selection to performance on the pitch was all Billy Big Baws attitude from the club

Many of the posters on here were guilty of same pre match with prediftions of 4 and 5 goal hammerings etc.

• Like 1

From start to finish yesterday from Team Selection to performance on the pitch was all Billy Big Baws attitude from the club

Many of the posters on here were guilty of same pre match with prediftions of 4 and 5 goal hammerings etc.

I disagree to an extent. The lack of a full bench, yes, that raised eyebrows at the time and was proven to be an awful decision in hindsight.

The starting eleven however should have been perfectly capable of winning that game. Nine of that eleven (Kerr for Ramsden weakens things yes, but Anier for Ainsworth should have been an improvement if anything) played and beat a Livingston side two divisions higher than Rovers. That's not being Billy Big Baws, it's a reasonable expectation that much the same side should have it in them to see off a bottom division side.

And again I don't think such predictions were unreasonable either. Obviously they look stupid after the result, but when we played Queen's Park we beat them 4-0. When we played Clyde we beat them 4-0. Both bottom league tables. Really so outrageous for fans to think we shouldn't be replicating that?

Moore, Erwin, Murray et al playing for the Under 20's today. So why couldn't they be on the bench yesterday?

yesterday was ideal to give moore another start and to introduce erwin at some stage of the game so for neither to be involved and now both are playing for the under 20s today is baffling

That's the reason they weren't on the bench, so they were fresh for todays U20 game. Said so in the pre-match interview on the radio.