Albion Rovers V Motherwell 30/11/13

Toxteth O'Grady

1386151563[/url]' post='400416']

Lasley in The Evening Times:-

"We came in and trained as normal on Monday and Tuesday and we have tried to talk things out, but we know we have not become a bad team because of one howler."

Firstly, in my opinion they should have been in for training on Sunday after being shown up by part-timers. Secondly, I agree that we have not become a bad team because of one howler. It's also because of the howlers that have come before it...

They are not a bad team there are worse in the leauge that's how they are where they are. Fut they are far from a decent or great team. Other teams are getting better and will overtake us I'm in no doubt of that as we are only treading water and as cup runs show sinking under at times.

Not a dig but can't understand why wee yin can't get it. Las should have said we are sorry to the fans for that pathetic performance, we are ashamed for the fans and making the club the laughing stock of football. That's how I feel. Also we will burst a gut trying to repay the fans for what they have had to watch and WILL make it at lest a bit up to them on Friday

Apart from "I quit", what do you want the club captain to say that he didn't in that article.

Im quite concerned that he's saying we have not become a bad team after 1 game.

Its blatantly obvious to those of us watching the games that we have been a bad team all season. Im actually very concerned that the players might be thinking they are a bounce here or a kick there away from everything clicking, when the reality is that we are very poor but fortunate that we are in a poor league.

Heres a hint Keith.......

- No movement off the ball

- No link between midfield and attack

- No players who can pick the ball up and drive forward

- All of the above has resulted in a reliance on long balls over the top to Sutton and hope Anier can break the offside trap.

• Like 1

Its blatantly obvious to those of us watching the games that we have been a bad team all season. Im actually very concerned that the players might be thinking they are a bounce here or a kick there away from everything clicking, when the reality is that we are very poor but fortunate that we are in a poor league.

- All of the above has resulted in a reliance on long balls over the top to Sutton and hope Anier can break the offside trap.

I agree with the majority of your post especially the 4 points above.

But I still do not get quite what we as fans expect Lasley or any other team members to say. "Quite how we are sitting 3rd having won 8 games and are 5 points better off than the same stage last season". I mean we all know we are sh1t this season. In fact our midfield is god awful and my good pal Faddy is on a slippery slope to oblivion".

To be fair most players have acknowledged that we are not playing as well as we probably could or should so far this season. I have no problem with this. My problem is that there are no immediate signs that they are about to click or improve.

Personally I would have liked an apology and I am somewhat surprised that McCall did not fire off an email to do just that. Happy enough to send them when we are doing well. 2600 Well fans was more than the crowds at ICT, ST J, QOS v St Mirren and almost as many as attended the Thistle v Dons game. It was a very decent crowd (and smoke bombs apart) created a great atmosphere. Still they could not raise their game or play at all well. That grates with me more than almost anything else. Almost as if they are taking the Well Bois and fans for granted dash2.gif

Rant over..

• Like 1

Personally I would have liked an apology and I am somewhat surprised that McCall did not fire off an email to do just that. Happy enough to send them when we are doing well.

Fair point and I did think the same myself. On the the other hand, I suppose I'd rather he was focused 100% on Friday night than sending us emails just at the moment.

We've not been good enough this season but do you think we will get better if the players have a sit around and realise 'the reality' that they are much worse than they thought?

That's not how building confidence works. And confidence is the most important factor in football.

Once a teams head goes down it is very hard to get it back up again. Players and to a certain extent managers, have to live in a delusion, otherwise we wouldn't even be competitive never mind any good.

(quote)

The past few seasons we were able to bounce back from bad results a gubbing at Dingwall springs to mind followed by a cracking run o games. For me its "players" we just don't have the quality weve got used to. January transfer window will be fun ,budget shot tae pieces but new faces needed .

January transfer window will be fun ,budget shot tae pieces but new faces needed .

I will be shocked if have any new faces in our squad in January. The cup exits and the fact we probably couldn’t give away any of our players at the moment (apart from Hutchy) might put a damper on any transfer activity. I am afraid we will need to stick with what we have got.

I will be shocked if have any new faces in our squad in January. The cup exits and the fact we probably couldn’t give away any of our players at the moment (apart from Hutchy) might put a damper on any transfer activity. I am afraid we will need to stick with what we have got.

The loanees can GTF.

Absolutely unforgivable result.

McCall GTF now.

Dafty

McCall HAS been a decent boss but his time is up. Thanks Stuart but its time tae go.

Dafty

This place is going tae be on fire tonight .Oh aye and McCalls time is up . We now need a fresh start and a gaffer who has some tactical ability and a youth policy.

Dafty

The buck stops with the manager. It's his job to prepare, motivate and set the team up to get results and to nevermind fail to beat a part time third division club but to lose to them is unacceptable.

That, on top of some of the shocking results in big games/cup games during his watch and his abject failure to rebuild the squad over the summer means that his time is up.

Dafty

I would have thought this would be McCalls last season at the helm anyway no matter what and I still think that will be the case. Now that we've nothing really to play for would it not be the best for all concerned if he went sooner rather than later.

Dafty

If Mccall left players out because of an under20's game then he should walk. Simple.

Dafty

Disgusting. The St Johnstone game was a step to far but resting players for a youth cup game?

Hope Erwin and Moore bang in a few and McCall hands in his resignation.

Dafty

If Stuart McCunt had an ounce of decency he would fall on his sword and fuck off without a payoff. Im fucking sick of the consistent pish dribbling from him,he's like a ginger mulleted dialysis machine.

2 years ago In the run up to the cup final he persisted in this "resting players" pish,we lost 5 of out last 6 shipping 20odd goals in the process,then didnt show up for the final! Said wasnt due to lack of effort etc & we would learn. Last seasons disgrace at Ibrox,said it wasnt due to lack of effort etc & we would learn. Last seasons joke Euro games,said it wasnt due to lack of effort etc & we would learn. This season there was the debacle in Kuban,said it wasnt due to lack of effort or attitude etc etc etc. Rested players yet again for Abdn cup game,we got pumped in league and then out the cup but guess what? It wasnt due to lack of effort or attitude & we would learn.

So less than 6 weeks later we have Albion Rovers in the cup but its ok weve had nearly 3 years of learning and there definately wont be a problem with attitude & effort! so this should be simple eh? Nope,he doesnt even show them the respect to fill our subs bench,"rests" our captain & top scorer "rests" the kid who was apparently first name on the team sheet last week for a fucking u-20 game,fails to change tactics when were clearly struggling to break them down and were out and now staring financial disaster in the face. But hey,it wasnt a lack of effort or attitude! Its just that we apparently dont have the quality to break down a part-time team at the bottom of scottish footballs lowest division. Thats fucking frightening!

Time and again in cup games,wether it be europe,league cup or scottish cup we rest players,fuck about with tactics,make a cunt of it and go out with a whimper.Cup games that apparently go a long way to filling holes in our budget & running costs. Well the buck stops with the manager!

Why cant we learn from these problems that occur time and again? Why do we rest players time & again? Why do we chop & change tactics time and again? Why do we repeatedly lose cup games when we put in so much effort and show such good attitude?

You were embarrassed by sat? As you fucking should be as well as ashamed,disgusted and countless other things. Never mind more empty promises ,just fuck off!

Dafty

• Like 6

Right.

To all the people wanting Stuart McCall to be sacked - tell me who do we replace him with who will do better. (Remember we are currently 3rd the the league

Answers please!

Who did we get tae replace Malpass then McGhee then auld Broon ,eventually we will replace McCall and more than likely with someone that no one though of. Its a good question though and of the top of my head I can't think of anyone , but its a stupid question at the same time cause theirs always someone. .I almost forgot we also had the irreplaceable Jim Gannon.

Right.

To all the people wanting Stuart McCall to be sacked - tell me who do we replace him with who will do better. (Remember we are currently 3rd the the league)

Answers please!

We only need to look at Caley Thistle's appointment of John Hughes to see the kind of pishy manager we'd end up with to know getting rid of McCall would be a terrible idea IMO.

Right.

To all the people wanting Stuart McCall to be sacked - tell me who do we replace him with who will do better. (Remember we are currently 3rd the the league)

Answers please!

While I'm far from one of the ones wanting McCall sacked, that is just a shite argument.

I remember supporters of Craig Levein saying something similar when he was acting like a fanny as the National Boss - never, ever keep a hold of a manager simply because you dont necessarily have someone in mind as a replacement.

While I'm far from one of the ones wanting McCall sacked, that is just a shite argument.

I remember supporters of Craig Levein saying something similar when he was acting like a fanny as the National Boss - never, ever keep a hold of a manager simply because you dont necessarily have someone in mind as a replacement.

Absolutely. The argument that changing the manager doesn't or won't help is a poor one and in our case our recent managerial changes fully back that up.

We ditched Malpas after it was clear he could take us no further after a shocking end to the season and replaced him with McGhee. Two years later McGhee left after making it abundantly clear that he wanted to move on instead of sticking around and rebuild the squad so we brought in Gannon who did just that. After things started to 'happen' off the park with him we replaced him with Brown who steadied the ship...then a year later he moved on and in came McCall who, despite his faults, guided us to a cup final, a 3rd placed finish and then a 2nd placed finish. He knew he would have to rebuild the squad over the summer if he stayed with us and I'm afraid that the players he had brought in aren't good enough because we have an unbalanced midfield and zero pace and are thus an uninspiring side going nowhere and I believe that McCall has done as much as he can with us.

In answer to the question of who should be brought in though, I say....Paul Hartley.

Absolutely. The argument that changing the manager doesn't or won't help is a poor one and in our case our recent managerial changes fully back that up.

We ditched Malpas after it was clear he could take us no further after a shocking end to the season and replaced him with McGhee. Two years later McGhee left after making it abundantly clear that he wanted to move on instead of sticking around and rebuild the squad so we brought in Gannon who did just that. After things started to 'happen' off the park with him we replaced him with Brown who steadied the ship...then a year later he moved on and in came McCall who, despite his faults, guided us to a cup final, a 3rd placed finish and then a 2nd placed finish. He knew he would have to rebuild the squad over the summer if he stayed with us and I'm afraid that the players he had brought in aren't good enough because we have an unbalanced midfield and zero pace and are thus an uninspiring side going nowhere and I believe that McCall has done as much as he can with us.

In answer to the question of who should be brought in though, I say....Paul Hartley.

There is no guarantee that changing manager will help though so the argument is perfectly sound. We are in the same position Aberdeen were in with Jimmy Calderwood where they were acheiving decent league results (including getting through to Europa League) and yet he lost his job over a couple of poor cup results. Since then their league position slumped and they still got knocked out of the Cup early and its only in the last few seasons that they have started to become a credible threat in the league again.

As for your suggestion of Paul Hartley, our board when we do look for a manager will seek someone with a good knowledge of English leagues (lower leagues in particular) as that is a market which has continued to prove fruitful for us in the past. I think this will knock suggestions like Hartley, Shiels or any of the other names commonly banded about in Scottish Football on the head. Were we to change manager, I think we could possibly look for someone like Owen Coyle who will have to work hard to rebuild his career given the allegations of unrest at Wigan and also meets the criteria of decent knowledge of english leagues.

As much as I'd love to see Coyle here it just isn't going to happen as he will demand a salary which we couldn't even begin to match.

A Paul Hartley type would be a good forward thinking appointment for us just now as he appears to be a good up and coming young manager who would bring his own ideas and philosophies to the table. Yes we've had success via the English lower league market in recent years but who's to say a newer approach wouldn't benefit us? Hartley will have his 'contacts' aswell in the game.

im no quite in the mccall out camp but i think he has to have a serious think about where were going as a club starting with giving youth more of a chance,as for hartley id hate that wee fanny to be associated with our club