Albion Rovers V Motherwell 30/11/13

Toxteth O'Grady

Looks like a change of seating arrangements. From the motherwell fc Facebook page.

"Follow a pre-operations meeting today, there has been a slight change of arrangements for the Albion Rovers Cup tie at New Douglas Park. Motherwell fans will now be housed in the West (Main) Stand with Albion Rovers fans in the North Stand (Behind the goal). All prices remain the same..."

Also in the comments the club said that there will be seats available in the temp stand as well if we need them.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/motherwellfc

I'd be tempted to leave a few guys out for this tie, as we should have more than enough to progress comfortably. On a pristine surface we should have the pace and ability to open them up.

My team would be:

Nielsen

KerrHutchinsonCumminsFrancis-Angol

McFaddenLawsonCarswellVigurs

MooreAnier

At least 3-0 with that team.

I'd be tempted to leave a few guys out for this tie, as we should have more than enough to progress comfortably. On a pristine surface we should have the pace and ability to open them up.

My team would be:

Nielsen

KerrHutchinsonCumminsFrancis-Angol

McFaddenLawsonCarswellVigurs

MooreAnier

At least 3-0 with that team.

I think if fit then Hammell and Ramsden will be back similarly Hollis, McFadden is a gamble against lower league players he will either shine and hopefully kick on from that or have a poor game/pick up an injury.

I think we should start with a full first team and try to kill the tie off by HT then ring the changes.

It is a potential banana skin of a tie and we've all seen what happens when we rest key players for games.

I think if fit then Hammell and Ramsden will be back similarly Hollis, McFadden is a gamble against lower league players he will either shine and hopefully kick on from that or have a poor game/pick up an injury.

I think we should start with a full first team and try to kill the tie off by HT then ring the changes.

It is a potential banana skin of a tie and we've all seen what happens when we rest key players for games.

Under McCall(Ibrox shambles aside) we've played 6 lower league teams in the cup. We've won 6, scored 22 in the process and only conceded 1.

This is a part time team who sit 3rd bottom of third division or whatever it's called these days. We won't need a full strength side. It would be madness to do so in my opinion given we play the best team in the country just six days later and will need to be at our very best to avoid a pumping.

Motherwell

12 Hollis

15 Hutchinson

20 Page

23 Halsman

04 Law (Humphrey - 57' )

06 Hateley

14 Lasley (Carswell - 57' )

09 Higdon (Smith - 57' )

16 McHugh

18 Forbes

25 Lawless

That Mothewell team went and pumped Third division Clyde away from home 0-4 without getting out of 2nd gear. Only 5 of our regular first team started, the rest were fringe players and youngsters. We'd released 4 of the players that started that night within the next year for being deemed not good enough.

I know some Motherwell fans worry about these things but there's a massive difference between top flight football and the third division. McCall doesn't take these games lightly but usually strikes the right balance in terms of selection and I imagine he will do so again.

Nielsen

Kerr

Hutchinson©

Cummins

ZFA

Ainsworth

Carswell

Lawson

Vigurs

Moore

Anier

Rest McManus, Hammell, Sutton, Lasley. Also I wouldn't risk Faddy on a plastic pitch.

IMHO that team would win comfortably.

Erwin is due back after the sevco game tomorrow but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back out on loan, hopefully to a 1st Division team. He's cup-tied anyway.

Hope to see Sutton and Moore paired up front with a view to playing them both against Celtic. Lawson and Lasley also need some game time together...

Should be scoring 5 or 6 here.

Rest players cause we play Cellik six days later ? Do me a favour . Play our best team and get a confidence boosting performance .With the international break last week we need to play games not sit on our arses waiting for big games to come along Play every game as it comes with the best team available

• Like 1

This is kind of a special fixture for me in some respects.

Growing up my Grampa had quite an affection for The Wee Rovers. I think the only time we ever met them whilst he was around was in the League Cup in the mid-to-late eighties when we beat them 4-0. I can't remember but I'm fairly sure I would have been as much a pain in the arse towards him as any 12 year old could be, bragging about my team beating his.

Whilst it's a different stadium the last game he actually attended was in Hamilton as I bugged him to take me to Douglas Park to see us play a Lanarkshire Cup tie.

So the whole Albion Rovers and Hamilton thing will mean I'll certainly be thinking of OId Frank when we run out on Saturday.

There's also that very rare wee quirk of us taking on the professional team that's closest to my gaff in Bargeddie. "We support our local team"....ahem.....:whistling:

As for the game itself, the correct attitude should see us prevail regardless of whom of our first team squad McCall decides to select.

Playing on an artificial surface may be more commonplace for our opponents but since these surfaces vary, I'm not so sure that will be anything too much of an advantage to them. Might have been different at Cliftonhill, but not so I believe at NDP.

In terms of the team, I would expect that McCall to give Hammell and Ramsden a further week's recovery time with Celtic in mind, and in light of both ZFA and Kerr helping us to a clean-sheet at Killie.

It would seem sensible to give Craig Moore more first team game too to bed him in further after looking the part in his first team outings. I might have expected Bob McHugh to partner him on Saturday but with Sutton getting back amongst the goals, and given how streaky he can be, I'd personally be inclined to keep him alongside Moore.

Faddy is the question mark. I'm not quite sure whether its match fitness he needs, in which case this might seem a good opportunity for a full ninety minutes (although if that's the case why doesn't he ever seem to be involved in the U20 games?) or if its just a case of managing him delicately, in which case you probably wouldn't to risk him on an artificial surface.

Whatever the team I would expect a similar type of outcome to that in the last couple of games against Third Division sides, that being 4-0.

• Like 1

Erwin got left out of the Arbroath cup game as Motherwell refused permission to play him, so as far as I'm aware he isn't cup tied!!

I think SMc will play McHugh and Moore up top. Hopefully Moore keeps getting into the right positions and puts a couple away.

Didn't realise he hadn't played against Brechin sorry. Would be nice to see him feature then.

I would play Faddy not just to give him a game but hopefully a confidence boosting one if he bosses the game and gets a goal or two. That said if he still looks minging against a part time League 2 side at a neutral venue on a perfect surface he should chuck it!

I would rest Sutton, Anier and Lasley. Maybe rest one of the centre halfs to give Cummins a game. I would still play Vigurs as he needs to boss a game soon too.

I would go for:

.................Nielsen.................

Kerr Hutchy Cummins Angol

........Lawson...Carswell......

Ainsworth....................Vigurs

..............Faddy...Moore.......

But doubt that will be anywhere near McCall's team.

Never been known as a happy clapper but surely we have too much for this mob. Anier is a must we need to get his confidence more flowing, it's stared but we need to feed it more. Moore deserves a start also. Lets get the back four settled again. As for faddy we shouldn't need him so dropped for me as he hasn't proved himself fit enough yet.