Oh Wullie Wullie...

SteelmaninOZ

Displays like that make you wonder why some big English club didn’t sign Pettigrew. At the time Dundee United was a step up in class, however, he could have easily played at a much higher level. I am sure he must have some regret that he never got the chance to move to a team like Liverpool or Arsenal. I have never been to a Q&A with the great man (has there ever been one?) but I would certainly ask him why a big move never transpired.

A crowd of 20,561 saw Motherwell twice come from behind to secure a 2-2 draw with Rangers at Fir Park in this Scottish League Cup sectional match on 23rd August 1975. Rangers goalscorers were Sandy Jardine and Alex Miller, with Bobby Watson and Willie Pettigrew replying for the 'Well.

A crowd of 20,561 saw Motherwell twice come from behind to secure a 2-2 draw with Rangers at Fir Park in this Scottish League Cup sectional match on 23rd August 1975. Rangers goalscorers were Sandy Jardine and Alex Miller, with Bobby Watson and Willie Pettigrew replying for the 'Well.

that Rangers penalty was a f*ckin' joke!

on a brighter note have to agree that Pettigrew was my first real Well hero as a boy but he definitely wasn't the same player when he moved on elsewhere because he never had the genius of Bobby Graham alongside him. An unsung hero if ever there was one. Brilliant front two. In more recent times (well relatively) I loved watching Coyne & Arnott together & it's open to debate if there's been any better strike partnerships at FP over the last 30 years or so as those two pairings mentioned. The 1st McGhee season was a joy to watch as was last season in the majority too but would be interested to hear other people's views of the best front line we've had, be it front 2, 3 or whatever.

It was Ian St John that kept Bobby Graham out of Bill Shankly's Liverpool first team. When St. John moved on Graham took over and knocked in 21 goals in the 69/70 season.

St. John knew how good he was and brought him to Fir Park just as Wullie P was breaking through.

3 players who truly deserve the 'legend' tag.

Had a tear in my eye watching that again. Wullie Pettigrew was fantastic. It has already been said but we truly didn't appreciate how good he was. Not enough is said about his link-up play but he also played in Bobby Graham a good few times as was shown in the Celtic game. He had everything, pace, desire, touch, bravery and he was a phenomenal finisher. Cheers WP we'll never see your like again at Fir Park. :notworthy:

Some great football. The Rangers first goal looks like a well worked training ground move. The second wouldnt be a penalty today never mind back then with the likes of Forsyth Greig Millar and McVie on the pitch! Super finish from Wullie P. Like others have said, my first footballing hero. Only one thing really to say about this clip though....

What a hit from Bobby Watson!

It was Ian St John that kept Bobby Graham out of Bill Shankly's Liverpool first team. When St. John moved on Graham took over and knocked in 21 goals in the 69/70 season.

St. John knew how good he was and brought him to Fir Park just as Wullie P was breaking through.

3 players who truly deserve the 'legend' tag.

And all 3 true local Motherwell boys. Changed days now when you look at where all ther payers come from !

• 3 weeks later...