Motherwell V St Mirren 21/12/13

SteelmaninOZ

Or maybe not. A convincing win AND a clean sheet, well I never. Great result and thoroughly deserved. McCall and the players have received plenty of pelters over the past three weeks, and rightly so, but they've bounced back today with an excellent result.

Well done Motherwell.

• Like 1

Easily our most convincing home performance of the season. Everyone in the team would get pass marks from me and four or five did really well.

To be fair St. Mirren were poor, offered nothing up front and were poor at the back but we could have scored double the number of goals we got and maybe even more.

Anier and Ainsworth actually gave us some pace and width today although they were up against a couple of inexperienced full backs.

We need to see more of that.

Cannae grumble with that at all! Hopefully a good confidence boost for all concerned.

We need to 'kick on' now and push for as high a league finish as possible. We have largely been poor this season and our results and performances against the top six especially but also in games in which we've managed to win against the bottom six completely supports that view. Today was easily the best result of the season for us and its crucial now that we take confidence from this and continue to improve in both results and performances.

Three goals, three points, a clean sheet and some decent fitba. Canny really ask for much more than that. Never in doubt, very commanding performance and we could've scored more.

Best we have played this season IMO.

First time we have played the ball thru midfield and not went long to Sutton. Ball on the deck and to Sutts chest with players playing on the lay offs. Passing was sharper and crisper also.

Bonus playing a team slower than us who stood off and let us play football mind you.

Keeps up this brilliant run of winning every game against bottom 6 sides. If we can take 7-10 pts from the next 4 games we will be in a very good position.

Great team effort today

Thought vigors looked much better today.

Ainsworth just doesn't seem arsed to track back at any point tho.

I thought the opposite..Hammell was left exposed all the time when Vigurs was not covering left mid as he should have been.He had a decent game, but needs to stay in position and help out the fullback more often.

Ainsworth was tracking back,not all the time i admit but he was doing it and more often than not he was available for Ramsden as the out ball.

But all that said i thought the whole team played well it was 3 going on 5,best i have seen all season

I thought the opposite..Hammell was left exposed all the time when Vigurs was not covering left mid as he should have been.He had a decent game, but needs to stay in position and help out the fullback more often.

Ainsworth was tracking back,not all the time i admit but he was doing it and more often than not he was available for Ramsden as the out ball.

But all that said i thought the whole team played well it was 3 going on 5,best i have seen all season

We seemed to be playing without a left midfielder today. Vigurs was mostly behind the striker today pinging balls into the wide positions for Ainsworth and Anier.

For me that was one of the key differences. When Sutton picks up the ball in front of the back four we have no one making a run into the box. Today it seemed to be Vigurs picking up the ball meaning we had Sutton free with Ainsworth and Anier giving us some width. It's also a lot easier for someone facing goal to play balls out wide than it is for a lone striker, who is mostly going to play it backwards or flick it on.

We seemed to be playing without a left midfielder today. Vigurs was mostly behind the striker today pinging balls into the wide positions for Ainsworth and Anier.

For me that was one of the key differences. When Sutton picks up the ball in front of the back four we have no one making a run into the box. Today it seemed to be Vigurs picking up the ball meaning we had Sutton free with Ainsworth and Anier giving us some width. It's also a lot easier for someone facing goal to play balls out wide than it is for a lone striker, who is mostly going to play it backwards or flick it on.

Exactly how I saw it aswell. Vigurs, Las and Carsy all taking turns to come across left.

Cant blame Vigurs for that one lads!!! I thought Vigurs had a good game, linked the midfield with the forward line and played a good few passes into space.