Motherwell V St Mirren 21/12/13

SteelmaninOZ

Before today I would happily have chased Anier and ainsworth but I'm almost thinking twice after that. They both did well today but when it counted in the cups they both disappeared so it's nae loss if we can't afford to keep them. Both them of them made it look like they are keen to stay but I feel Rotherham and stravnger are calling. Too little too late.

Sutton and lasley were immense today.

• Like 1

The most pleasing aspect for me today, aside from the 3 points and the clean sheet, was the far greater emphasis today on getting the ball down and playing the ball out from defence and through the midfield. Which in turn led to us playing our best football of the season, creating plenty of chances and scoring three goals and to be honest it could have easily been 5 or 6. Much more like it today and a far more enjoyable watch.

Also nice to get the clean sheet. First time seeing Twardzik and I thought he was alright. Few iffy punches at one or two crosses but he seemed fairly assured for one with such little experience and confident on the ball. Thought his early save where he was sharp off his line to pounce on a loose ball in the box was excellent goalkeeping. Not sure the other two would have rushed as far off their line for that one but it was brave and proactive goalkeeping from him as if he hadn't committed himself their boy seemed certain to burst the net.

Much of the rest has been covered, Ainsworth, Lasley, Anier and Sutton were all excellent and the whole team get's pass marks. Thursday will be a much tougher test but one we can go into with more confidence after today.

A very enjoyable day out at Fir Park today, well done to McCall and the team.

No game at Ibrox so i went to see my wee team :rolleyes:

The best performance of the season so far and right in about them from the start.They are the worst team i've seen all season and it was especially pleasing to see that ratbag Goodwin hooked.

I predicted the correct score today but was way off with the goal scorers. Great result especially with a trip to the sheep midweek, wasn't at the game today due to work but its great to hear nothing but good reports from lads who were there. I hope we can keep this good spell of form going cause i can't make the sheep game but i'm going to Partick and really looking forward to it. Anyway well done to McCall and the lads for today. Happy days are here again

Before today I would happily have chased Anier and ainsworth but I'm almost thinking twice after that. They both did well today but when it counted in the cups they both disappeared

Ainsworth played 45 minutes as a sub against Aberdeen and didn't play at all against Albion Rovers due to injury.

I've not been any great fan of his so far myself but your reason for wanting rid of him doesn't tally with the facts.

• Like 2

Best performance of the season. We created chance after chance which was a relief after the last month or so.

Anier and Ainsworth were both excellent along with Lasley.

Young keeper is excellent with the ball at his feet but loves a punch. Don't think he is any worse than the two injured keepers we have at the club just now.

Excellent 3 points but the next match is going to be very very tricky!

Best I've seen the 'well play in a long time. It was a shame though that, despite such a great performance, there were only 3 and a half thousand to cheer them on, we should all give a big effort to get up tae Aberdeen midweek

Has always been the way. If we were sitting atop the league we would be lucky to get 4000 home fans. Cost and a general meh to performances are a factor.

I noticed that the crowd at Dundee United was over 8000. Not sure if they did a special promotion, but if not.. 4000 more fans than we had yesterday...

BAWS

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. Some good football played and plenty of chances created.

Anier, Ainsworth and Lasley were excellent but everyone played well.

Also the first time I've seen the loan keeper. Came and flapped/punched a few crosses, could have had something to do with the weather, but other than that he looked decent and was very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

All in all a cracking performance, great result and sitting nicely in the league. It's not all bad.

Our crowds were piss poor the last 2 seasons when we were riding high/signing Faddy and despite us not being great earlier in the season the crowds were round about the same! That's an awful crowd yesterday, but I think we can't underestimate how sickened folk were/are with the 2 cup exits and have voted with their feet. I just hope they come back!

Utd (and Aberdeen) have much bigger supports than us, and it's quite noticeable when they string a few results together as they all come out the woodwork only to disappear like snow off a dyke when the bubble bursts.

Our crowds were piss poor the last 2 seasons when we were riding high/signing Faddy and despite us not being great earlier in the season the crowds were round about the same! That's an awful crowd yesterday, but I think we can't underestimate how sickened folk were/are with the 2 cup exits and have voted with their feet. I just hope they come back!

Utd (and Aberdeen) have much bigger supports than us, and it's quite noticeable when they string a few results together as they all come out the woodwork only to disappear like snow off a dyke when the bubble bursts.

......and in addition there are 5 games scheduled in a 2 week period over the christmas and new year holidays. That's a lot of money to be shelling out on football on top of all the other demands for your money this time of year!

"Henri Anier says his two-goal display against St Mirren was inspired by Henrik Ojamaa but fears he may have to follow his friend out of Motherwell.

Estonia team-mate Ojamaa, who left for Legia Warsaw in June, was back in Scotland to visit his fellow striker.

"He told me I was going to score two, so I did," said Anier, who would likeViking Stavanger to extend his loan.

"They won't accept this I think because I would be free in the summer, so maybe something else can happen."

"It was nice to see Henrik and I just hope he can make Pittodrie. If he can do that, we'll take him up there with us"

Stuart McCallMotherwell managerIt is unlikely that Motherwell, hampered further financially after an early Scottish Cup exit, would be able to pay a transfer fee to secure the 23-year-old permanently.

And manager Stuart McCall has indicated they would also have a problem should Viking demand that the Fir Park outfit increase their contribution and pay his full wages to secure an extended loan beyond January.

But Anier, who had a previous loan with Fredrikstad after joining Viking from Flora Tallin, thought there was still time for the clubs to come to an arrangement even though his agent had been quoted as saying there were other clubs interested.

"Obviously I've been around a few clubs and it would be nice to stay or get something permanent, or at least to stay until the end of the season," he said.

"I've really enjoyed my time here. It is between the clubs and I can't do anything and I hope something can get sorted out in the next two weeks.

_71906825_ojamaa.jpgThe 22-year-old Ojamaa has helped reigning champions Legia to to the top of the Ekstraklasa

"I don't know about extending the loan because I've got one more year back at Viking, but my agent knows more than me and it's between the clubs.

"My loan finishes in the middle of January, so we still have time."

Anier was not frustrated at being denied a chance of a hat-trick by being substituted with 20 minutes remaining during the 3-0 Premiership win.

"I am happy with two and to get back to winning ways," he said.

"It felt really good when I was on the pitch. I think we played brilliant as a team as well.

"That could be one of my best performances for Motherwell."

Indeed, St Mirren manager Danny Lennon described the Estonia striker as "almost unplayable" on the day.

McCall thought Ojamaa's presence had helped get the best out of Anier and hoped that the striker's form would continue against Aberdeen on Boxing Day.

"Did he tell you why he did well? Mr Ojamaa," he joked.

"Henrik came over to stay with Henri for a few days and we had some lunch on Friday.

"He said they would go back and they would analyse his performance. I said, okay, you do that and make sure he comes and scores some goals tomorrow.

"It was nice to see Henrik and I just hope he can make Pittodrie. If he can do that, we'll take him up there with us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25484129

To the lads who were actually at the game i was wondering how Kello played against us ? Given our goalkeeper situation isn't great at the moment do you think Kello would be worth pursuing in the summer when his saints deal runs out ?

The only player in their side who would get a game in ours.He made a couple of good saves and was brave a couple of times as well.