Five Year Old Son, First Well Game.

wideboyal

Taking my son to his first Well game on Wednesday and need a bit of advice.

My favourite place is the east stand but not sure it will be the best for him. Atmosphere will be best there, but might pick up a few new words.

What are the family sections these days? Is there one in the POD or is it solely the Cooper stand...

He's been at Lanark Utd games before, but never a proper match when you need to sit down for 90 mins!

Thanks in advance.

Al

I prefer the East as well, but have had the kids in tow for 5 years now and its more comfortable in the Cooper, with them. youngest just hitting ten so was looking at options then a three year old joined us, he still gets a bit jumpy when we score B-) but telling him who the good guys and bad guys are keeps him occupied

not sure what stage your boy is at, but found it easier to talk them through the game and even distract them when need be, when in the Cooper, plenty of empty pockets of seats where you can get a few seats together to allow some movement if he gets edgy

Remember to get a family ticket if you have no ST, which covers One adult one Child

oh and free face paint for the kids ,usually in the East corner of the cooper as you come inside the turnstiles, if that's your thing

PATG prices for Fir Park:

POD or Cooper:

Adult - £22

Juvenile - £12

Family - £28

East Stand:

Adult - £18

Juvenile - £9

Family - £24

Don't think you'll get away from the language where ever you go, Be a few complaints about the language in the cooper on here in the past. suppose it comes hand in hand with going to the games.

I take my nephew (8) to the east stand, He's gives the occasional OMG look when he hears something but I just start talking about the game with him and the moment is then gone.

Also. . . .Took him to his first away game at Partick. Never seen a kid so happy at a game. thumbup.gif

Key thing is take lots of sweeties and be prepared to miss goals when they need to go to the toilet at the worst possible time.

I've only managed to get my 8 year old son to about one game a season over the last 3 or 4 season. He does seem to enjoy it while he's there but there always seems to be something else he'd prefer to be doing. Ah well, maybe my daughter will take to it.

In my experience they aren't that bad at that age as they generally do what you tell them to do and I think are a bit in awe of the whole thing.

When they get a little bit older they start to get more fidgety.

I still go to the East Stand and I think it's better to expose children to the best possible atmosphere if you want them to get interested in the football.

I don't swear myself in front of the children but it doesn't really bother me if they hear other people. Let's face it, they should know what is acceptable to say and in a few years they'll swearing all the time anyway when their parents are out of ear shot!

I don't see much point in trying to shield children from real life as long as you spell out to them what you expect from them language and behaviour wise.

well i have been taking my son to fir park since he was 6 weve sat in the cooper .east . and now in the pod as ya beezer says you cant hide them from swearing but if you bring them up / educate them that you dont like it then they wontspeak it ( well not in front of you ) ps ... my son is now nearly 21 and i have still not heard him swear ,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for all the advice. Thinking the Cooper will be the best option. He loves face painting.

The swearing not the big problem he probably knows more than me!

Just been hyping it up to him all week. Hope he enjoys it.

What are the rules about taking crisps and sweets etc into the ground?

Make sure his ds is charged as well!

Nearly got into a fisty cuffs over some twat behind me in the cooper continual torrent of swearing, not just the F off or that's shit which I don't mind. Asked him to just tone it down a bit he was ok but his fanny pal started with the its the chance you take pish and we have been coming here for years and the cooper is not a family stand only part of it. You know the type that sit and kick the back of you're seat the whole game. However others around also told him to shut it and he did. He now brings a young kid and I'm tempted to give him his own medicine back. rolleyes.gif But I won't.

Swearing in cooper not as bad and not as vicious in tone or content. Great view of the whole park and not restricted view for corners etc. smaller crowd games less atmosphere without doubt however great view of the bois bouncing about and at a distance where kid doesn't feel frightenedFree face painting for kids. Subs warm up infront of cooper so autograph chancesBetter seats and more roomTV at pie stall showing game if live if not its giving out scores

Lesser atmosphere in cooper without doubt but a more comfortable experience for me, all about what you're looking for.

Still trying to change my profile pic. He's the wee baby in my arms in the original pic!

He's well excited about it, and ive pointed out Faddy when we've seen him driving his car down the road from our house.

Never thought about the autographs, but I'm sure he will have a great day tomorrow. Hope that some of the players will let him have a wee photo with them before the match!

Looking forward to finally seeing my brick on the wall too!

Been a while since ive had a chance to go to FP, but looking forward to it. Lets hope for a goalfest!

'Mon the Well!!!!

Never thought about the autographs, but I'm sure he will have a great day tomorrow. Hope that some of the players will let him have a wee photo with them before the match!

'Mon the Well!!!!

My son's favourite part of a day at the football. He waits for however long it takes to meet the players as they leave FP after the game to get their autograph and a photograph. He's also sat at the front of the East Stand while the player's warm up, though this is not as successful.

He loved it. Had an absolute ball.

Sat in the Cooper stand, about 5 rows from the front, and he was great.

Loved the rude men who were saying the linesman was a cheat, and came back singing Well Well Super well.

Great day out and thanks for the tips and advice!

He loved it. Had an absolute ball.

Sat in the Cooper stand, about 5 rows from the front, and he was great.

Loved the rude men who were saying the linesman was a cheat, and came back singing Well Well Super well.

Great day out and thanks for the tips and advice!

Magic!

Great to hear about future Steelmen (and lassies) starting out on their journey.

Hopefully that positive experience will mean he is hooked for life and keep him safe from the evils of the dark side!

SIWY.......

yes yes we miss all the good bits about the old shed and that includes singin yer heart out to the opposition fans through the fence ,,,,, but you dont miss the guys behind you pee n down the old steps /your jeans / or your sambas ,,,,, oh and who can forget that lovely stale lager pish smell :drinks:

Great reading that your boy has taken to it wideboyal.

The club can and do a lot to make it easier to introduce young fans with the season ticket deals, the face painting, mascots and family sections etc. but at the end of the day for those initiatives to succeed it really helps that guys like yourself and Brazilian, who has introduced several of his family in recent times, make the effort to bring the next generation along. The ones who forgo a pre or post match beer and are prepared to sacrifice missing goals and spend time running to pie stalls until the young uns are captivated enough to watch for the full ninety.

I hope your nipper will look back and remember his younger days following the 'Well as a special time. I still have great memories of going to places like Berwick on the old Bellshill supporters bus -when it seemed like we were on that bus forever - my tammy getting used for the sweep on the bus, sitting in the Main Stand with my Dad's friends like the late Bobby Allan doing commentaries for the blind and Joe McGuire, who I'm delighted to see every now and again making his down from Fir Park after a game. Even simple things like getting my old man's old leather gloves passed to me when it got cold. Great memories and I hope you wee man will build up a catalogue of his own going to the games with his old fella!

yes yes we miss all the good bits about the old shed and that includes singin yer heart out to the opposition fans through the fence ,,,,, but you dont miss the guys behind you pee n down the old steps /your jeans / or your sambas ,,,,, oh and who can forget that lovely stale lager pish smell :drinks:

I got a lift over into the Main Stand when I was 5, so didn't have to contend with that until I was older :nod: