Tom Hateley

Frazzie

1388848788[/url]' post='402856']

the guy didn't want to take a significant pay cut to do the same job.

i don't think you can blame anyone who does that.

In this economic climate I've had to take a significant pay cut to do the same job and so have many of my colleagues. Why shouldn't he. Tom unfortunately is only one of many sorry, most footballers who expect to be paid over inflated wages (in my opinion) they need to get real. If they want a wee team to showcase their talents to take them to a higher level then they should expect (again in this economic climate) that the wee team can only afford to operate within their means. Rant over.

• Like 1

1388874019[/url]' post='402904']

In this economic climate I've had to take a significant pay cut to do the same job and so have many of my colleagues. Why shouldn't he. Tom unfortunately is only one of many sorry, most footballers who expect to be paid over inflated wages (in my opinion) they need to get real. If they want a wee team to showcase their talents to take them to a higher level then they should expect (again in this economic climate) that the wee team can only afford to operate within their means. Rant over.

If you could have afforded not to and been confident of getting another job in your industry would you have? He'd been earning six figures for the past three years so he's not exactly in the same boat as most of us.

If you could have afforded not to and been confident of getting another job in your industry would you have? He'd been earning six figures for the past three years so he's not exactly in the same boat as most of us.

Exactly. It's a free market and he decided to take his chances elsewhere. And he was of sufficient quality (regardless of what any of us think) to hold down a regular first team slot for a number of managers - all of whom had options in that position, but chose not to use them. Maybe they were all wrong, but one of our most successful teams ever accommodated him at right back.

If he wasn't Mark's son, I doubt this thread would exist.

For me, Quinn was much more of an embarrassment to the club with his neddish off-field antics.

Rather tragic thread,

its clear the o.p, always had a problem with Hateley, pretty sad that a player who started as many games through a really entertaining period evokes those sort of feelings

and sad that Frazzle has to bring it up after many months, stating that Hateleys missus talks a load of shite when it suits, and then making out that what she says is justification for his digs on whether Hateley is fit or not :doh:

many players over the years who have robbed wages out of MFC, or disgraced themselves, or quite simply not been very good, but Frazzle and a few others worry about one that despite his frustrations served pretty well, and never bad mouthed the club.

as for him never beating you at football? :mellow: , he clearly has...many times over

Quinn was innocent of all charges....including the miller bottle skelped aff a guys dome in wishy....so ah wis told.

the Sherriff certainly found him guilty, don't know if he appealed

Never followed the original thread but piecing things together it would seem....

- Frazzie shouts abuse at a game at a 'well player who happens to be Mr Hateley

- Tams bird is sitting close by, decides to stand up for her man and tell frazzie to wind his neck in

- Frazie doesnt like this so proceeds to have an argument with her

- She later tells Hateley who asks Frazzie to meet him outside the gates after school

Is that about the size of it or have i picked it up wrong?

• Like 1

Not to detract from the debate but I have to say this has to be the absolute worst post I've ever seen on this site. Bravo sir!

Rather tragic thread,

its clear the o.p, always had a problem with Hateley, pretty sad that a player who started as many games through a really entertaining period evokes those sort of feelings

and sad that Frazzle has to bring it up after many months, stating that Hateleys missus talks a load of shite when it suits, and then making out that what she says is justification for his digs on whether Hateley is fit or not :doh:

many players over the years who have robbed wages out of MFC, or disgraced themselves, or quite simply not been very good, but Frazzle and a few others worry about one that despite his frustrations served pretty well, and never bad mouthed the club.

as for him never beating you at football? :mellow: , he clearly has...many times over

the Sherriff certainly found him guilty, don't know if he appealed

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the OP?

And for what it's worth, I thought it was a reasonable point of interest that Hateley is being left out of the team when he's not really injured- it looks like I was right given how it's rumbled on. His missus was hee-haw to do with the original post or why he wasn't popular amongst the 'Well support.

I find it unusual how it's sad that I mention an ex-player that things aren't going well for, but it seems encouraged to revel in the success of players who leave. I was delighted to see Murphy score at Villa Park yesterday- is that allowed? Seems a bit like North Korean to only be able to mention the positive stories.

Never followed the original thread but piecing things together it would seem....

- Frazzie shouts abuse at a game at a 'well player who happens to be Mr Hateley

- Tams bird is sitting close by, decides to stand up for her man and tell frazzie to wind his neck in

- Frazie doesnt like this so proceeds to have an argument with her

- She later tells Hateley who asks Frazzie to meet him outside the gates after school

Is that about the size of it or have i picked it up wrong?

Nah, I didn't shout anything that any players would hear. I told my mate that he was murder and she was sitting close enough to overhear- obviously I didn't know who she was until she said. She proceeded to rant about how all football fans are idiots and how people like me are why she hates coming to watch Motherwell. I just reminded her that us idiots were paying her mans wages and she didn't have to come. Only raised voice or silly nonsense came from her.

The last point is correct, although in his defense I don't think it was an actual call-out for a square-go.

On a unrelated note...

My cousin and I were giving dogs abuse to Derek Adams while he was having an absolute mare one game - nothing vile or personal. Turns out his folks were sitting right in front of us, and after 10/15mins of our negative comments, Auld George turned round to tell us to pipe down, and my uncle told him to shut it as we were paying fans entitled to our opinions! George (then employed by the club) informed us he would have us banned! My uncle dared him too and then joined us in berating Derek. As a result of that, I've always never rated Adams and never liked him one bit!

As for Hateley - as others have said, decent right back and we were his level. Think Ramsden is better. He made the decision to leave what was a good thing for him, and it hasn't worked out for him. So what. If it wasn't for his dad there would have been zero media hype over him.

In general, I imagine it's a tough choice for any player on our books. In recent times we have had great teams to play for, but even at our peak we have had to reduce budgets and salaries. So successful players who would no doubt be enjoying their football, have to think about securing their own financial futures.

A guy like Reynolds, even moving back to Aberdeen, is probably on twice his Motherwell salary - plus he would have a nice chunk of change from his trip down south. Ultimately, it's down to how much ambition you have and how much job satisfaction you are willing to gamble. I can't imagine it's ever an easy decision - especially for the younger players.

From an age perspective too, it would seem like the right time for him to leave. 24 years old, 150 games, learned his trade somewhat.

Wasn't the best full back I have ever seen, but fitted in to McCall's system just fine.

Met the guy a few times...nice fella tbh....there ah said it.

Having only ever had brief chats with Tom in the Centenary and on a separate occasion, his dad when my son was the mascot.....

Tom Hateley was a loyal servant/ever present for for four seasons,he played well over 150 games and scored a not bad return of goals

i've met him a few times, and he couldnt have been nicer - a decet guy with a funny accent! at no time when talking to me was he a prick or did he come across as a billy big time. i've stuck up for him before a few times on here and i'll do it again

i totally agree with weeyin, people need to understand that these PLAYERS are not fans, they are PLAYERS who are doing THEIR JOB.

having job satisfaction is great

going to work every day with your mates is great

playing football for a living is great

BUT

staying at Motherwell your whole life and showing them loyalty isnt going to set you and your family up for life, yes he may earn more than your average punter, but that still doesnt mean he is set up for life

playing as many games as he did for us under different managers, and barely missing any of them in his time here, tells me that those who know the game better than most, clearly seen something he offered the team, not just any team, but a team who were/are one of the best Motherwell teams in a long time

do i think he is a world beater? No.

do i think he will ever play at a high level? No

do i think we were his level? Yes

but can you blame hime for wanting to try something else? Lasley and Hammell, 2 players that our fans seem to adore - both done it

• Like 5

On a unrelated note...

My cousin and I were giving dogs abuse to Derek Adams while he was having an absolute mare one game - nothing vile or personal. Turns out his folks were sitting right in front of us, and after 10/15mins of our negative comments, Auld George turned round to tell us to pipe down, and my uncle told him to shut it as we were paying fans entitled to our opinions! George (then employed by the club) informed us he would have us banned! My uncle dared him too and then joined us in berating Derek. As a result of that, I've always never rated Adams and never liked him one bit!

You are 100% entitled to your opinions but, as for all customers of any business, you have no legal right to be giving dogs abuse to anyone or upset fellow customers. The club may choose to accept it for most fans most of the time, but it is not an entitlement. As a business, Motherwell Football Club is perfectly entitled to refuse any fan entry if they don't like their behaviour.

• Like 1

Tom is apparently going on trial with a team in Poland. Slask Wroclaw i think their called. I'm pretty sure it was them who beat United in Europe a few years ago

I heard he was going to trade school over there and hopes to qualify as a plumber.

:tumbleweed:

From Evening Times

Hateley looks to get back on track with Poland trip

Tom Hateley has revealed how a glowing recommendation from former Motherwell team-mate Henrik Ojamaa convinced him to chase a move to Poland.

The 24-year-old is training with Slask Wroclaw this week following his release by Tranmere Rovers with a view to earning a permanent deal with the Ekstraklasa outfit. He could potentially join Ojamaa, of champions Legia Warsaw and Lech Poznan's Barry Douglas in Polish football if he impresses.And Hateley has been left in no doubt that it would be the right move after seeking advice from his old Fir Park pal.

He said: "I spoke to Henrik (Ojamaa) last week about it. I was good friends with him up at Motherwell - he did really well up there and won a move to Poland.

"He said nothing but good things about the football here and his recommendation was a big part of why I have come over. I am excited about what the next few days have in store - fingers crossed that something can happen.

"Henrik told me the pace of the game is slower in Poland than in Scotland or England. I like to have the ball and play technically, so hopefully the style here could suit me.

"I've heard good things about the club, I have been to the see the stadium and the training ground has great facilities."

The former Reading youngster joined Tranmere in September after ending his four-year spell at Motherwell last summer. However, his time in League One proved to be underwhelming, as he made just 10 appearances.

And, as Hateley looks to rejuvenate his career on the continent, he has been joined by a familiar face in Slask Wroclaw training.

Marco Paixao, who, along with his brother Flavio, was on the books of Motherwell's Lanarkshire rivals Hamilton, is enjoying a prolific debut season in Poland, scoring 10 goals in 16 games.

Hateley would love to replicate the impact made by his former foe.

He added: "I played against him (Paixao) when I was at Motherwell - he was at Hamilton at the time - and he was a very good player.

"He has obviously done really well to get his move over here and do well in the short time he has been at the club. If I can make anything like the impression he has then I will be more than happy with that."