Hearts V Motherwell 11/1/14

postiejim

As modern fooballers go vigurs is very very slow to press, easily the worst in our team and yesterday was no different. This is a big problem with his game and it becomes more apparent against decent opposition rather than the hearts youth team. I don't think he is lazy, but he doesn't seem switched on half the time and mentally and physically he is a sluggish player even by spl standards. It is a straightforward and reasonable observation and the fact he can also deliver quality through balls when given space doesn't prove his doubters wrong - amazingly it is possible that he has really good and really bad aspects to his game at the same time.

We will not get big offers close season for vigurs because of these shortcomings and i'd wager mccall, who introduced a pressing midfield within a fortnight of arriving at fir park, privately regrets the signing. I am not looking to be unduly negative but several comments above suggest a few good balls show all vigurs doubters to be football dullards and boo boys.

Acknowledging the several shortcomings in his game I really can't see how McCall would regret signing Vigurs, particularly on recent form where he has almost produced an assist per game.

I would go so far as to say McCall would be absolutely delighted not to get any offers for him in the summer far less welcome them.

It was said time and time again throughout the early part of the season that it would take a period for a newly constructed team to best utilise each other's strengths and abilities. Vigurs is the very epitome of that where Sutton and Anier know that if they make the correct run at the correct time that Vigurs has the ability to put the ball perfectly on their head or toe.

I can only see better things ahead as those partnerships and understandings are developed and built upon further.

Vigurs is slow and worse still , for him ,he looks slow and a bit imobile in the game .Saying that when he has time on the ball he can pass the ball with class but given the nature of the Scottish game time is not a thing you have against the better teams. Hence he performs better against lesser teams. .He is starting to fit into the team a wee bit better now I hope this continues

Something's just come back to me about yesterday. I'm kinda hanging myself out to dry here a wee bit if If I've got this wrong but......

..were my ears deceiving me or did we really have a 5 minute strong Henri Anier song going based around Gina G's Ooh Ahh Just a Little Bit towards the end of the game?

I heard it too.

If Vigurs had pace he wouldn't be playing for Motherwell. He doesn't so he is..... I love watching his style of player far more than a chase every ball run like fuck and throw yourself into a tackle player.

it's not that he's slow it's that when we don't have the ball he barely tries a leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rZgUiPaF28

watch him at the thistle goal, he's just wandering about and it's only 5 minutes into the game.

As modern fooballers go vigurs is very very slow to press, easily the worst in our team and yesterday was no different. This is a big problem with his game and it becomes more apparent against decent opposition rather than the hearts youth team. I don't think he is lazy, but he doesn't seem switched on half the time and mentally and physically he is a sluggish player even by spl standards. It is a straightforward and reasonable observation and the fact he can also deliver quality through balls when given space doesn't prove his doubters wrong - amazingly it is possible that he has really good and really bad aspects to his game at the same time.

We will not get big offers close season for vigurs because of these shortcomings and i'd wager mccall, who introduced a pressing midfield within a fortnight of arriving at fir park, privately regrets the signing. I am not looking to be unduly negative but several comments above suggest a few good balls show all vigurs doubters to be football dullards and boo boys.

It wasnt the Vigurs doubters that were the issue. Anyone is entitled to have reservations about a player if they havent produced the form they showed at their previous club.

However, when you declare that the individual is rubbish/waste of a wage/ a first division player before we are even half way through a season which started with 7 first team players having to be replaced, you put yourself up to be shot at.

Im a glass half full kinda guy (maybe that makes me a happy clapper) I thought that Vigurs would be a good signing for us. It wasnt looking such a great prediction and I would be lying if I said I didnt have my doubts as to whether he could turn it around. As the team improves we are seeing glimpses of what he is capable of. Hopefully by the end of the season he will be showing his full potential.

He's the epitome of the languid trequartista, which means yer average baying work rate/get it up the park punter isny going to appreciate him unfortunately. I do appreciate a quality playmaking pass myself, and Vigurs can be top drawer in this regard.

Whoever bought you inverting the pyramid for christmas has made our lives worse.

Whether you like him or not, Vigurs is top of the assists table for SPFL with 7 equal with izaguire of Celtic so I would say he is contributing to our league position.

he's only really got six (still good going). he has been marked down for one against killie at fir park when keith set up the first and ramsden the second.

If Vigurs had pace he wouldn't be playing for Motherwell. He doesn't so he is..... I love watching his style of player far more than a chase every ball run like fuck and throw yourself into a tackle player.

This type of comment has no place on this forum. I suggest an immediate ban for this poster to send out a deterrent to anyone else thinking about posting anything positive or sensible.

• Like 1

I was delighted when we signed Vigurs he is clearly a cracking footballer, was i upset when he was struggling for the first half of the season ? Yes but i was never a guy who was on his back about the shite form. He had plenty of offers when out of contract and among the teams he knocked back was Sevco but he came to the Well if you still feel the need to give Vigurs grief then fuck off and follow Airdrie or Accies cause we are shit hot right now and Vigurs is a big part of that. SIWY

• Like 1

Except of course at yesterday's crucial goal where Iain Vigurs quickly presses the Hearts player in possession to win the ball back in his own final third before moving up the park to set up the goal.

I too heard the 'Anier' song, which will I am sure, with practice, become as popular as 'big John Sutton'. I also heard the chant of 'Iain Vigurs' as he was subbed yesterday! Gradually I think most of the fans,especially the strong away support are beginning to warm to this guy and his contribution to our success. Long may it continue.

Im gobsmacked there's people on here having a go at Vigours. We're they actually at Tynecastle where he had a really good game. Hit some cracking passes and moved the ball well also his corners are good. Yesterday wasn't pretty but we won i just feel our confidence is coming back now after the cup disasters and the chase for 2nd will include us which a few weeks ago i would've thought was impossible. :thumbup:

Watched it on Alba last night and it looked like it was going wide. So yeah, OG for me too. Good win regardless though.

I think it was too close to call, was bending so could well have been hitting the target.

Sutton should definitely be credited for it.

Hearts fans claiming that Sutton's goal was an OG and the ball was going wide. Didn't look that way to me.

Maybe, but we absolutely pummeled hem for most of the 1st half and should have been a few up by HT. Granted, they gave it a go in the 2nd half, but claiming the ball was going wide is clutching at straws!