Worst Xi To Grace The Claret & Amber

Goggles & Flippers

So I've went through over 100 posts and compiled a list, some my be in the wrong position heading, some I need clarification on position, first names, etc. so any help appreciated. Just put a "D", "M" or a "F" beside the name. NB It took me ages

GOALKEEPERS:

Colin Meldrum

John Gardiner

Stevie Woods

Mikko Kaven

John Fallon

Cammy Duncan

DEFENDERS:

Karl Ready

AlanAndy Sneddon? (is this someone getting it wrong or are they two separate players?) Dunno who Andy is.

Jamie Doyle

Franz Resch

Sasa Curcic - midfield

Said Chiba - midfield

Ange Oueifio

Alex Burns - striker

Gary Bollan

Yassin Moutouakil

Jonsson

Greg Denham

Danny Murphy

Bobby Donnelly

Gary Bollan

Eddie Forrest

MIDFIELDERS:

Chic McClelland

Alan Mackin

John Muir

Gordon "Night" Mair

Derek 'Ruby' Murray

Paul Keegan - striker

Trevor Molloy

John Davies

Roberto Martinez

Trevor Molloy - so bad he's listed twice

Bob Malcom

Eddie May

Andy Dow

Alex Spark

Davie Shanks

Pat Gardner

Sam Goodwin

Alan Gow - I'd say forward

FORWARDS:

Calum Elliot

Derek Townsley - winger/utility man

Davide Ferrerre - left mid

Andy Roddie - winger

John Hendrie

Omar Daly - winger

Kevin Christie - defender

Esteban Casagolda

Michael McGlinchy - winger

Callum Elliot

Paul Keegan - also listed in midfielders

Roy Essandoh

Richard Offiong

Stephen Halliday

CAN'T REMEMBER'S/BLANKED FROM MY MIND/BEFORE MY TIME

Neil Tarrant - striker

Kevin McBride - right/centre mid

Brian Kerr - centre mid

Robert Maaskant - centre half

Tony Thomas - right back

Angeand

Graeme Miller

Gunni Jonssen - centre half

Nysonnen - forward

Davie Shanks

Jim Gillespie

John Reilly

Gregor Stevens

Alex Kennedy

Paul Shepstone

Neil Candlish

Derek Murray

Shaun Fagan - midfield

Tony Vaughan - centre half

Robert Clark

Derek Weldon

Kevin McDonald - centre mid

Paul Wilson

Khaled Kemas - forward

Jim Gillespie

Mike Larnach

Stevie Nicholas - winger

Jamie Fairlie

Greg Millar - forward

Jason Dair - shite everywhere

Jamie Doyle

Joni Lehtonen - winger

Elroy Kromheer - midfield

Mario Dorner - forward

Abel Thermeus - forward

Franck Bernhard - full back

Graeme Smith - goalie

Jan Michels - midfield

Rob Matthaei - midfield

So I've went through over 100 posts and compiled a list, some my be in the wrong position heading, some I need clarification on position, first names, etc. so any help appreciated. Just put a "D", "M" or a "F" beside the name. NB It took me ages

GOALKEEPERS:

Colin Meldrum

John Gardiner

Stevie Woods

Mikko Kaven

John Fallon

Cammy Duncan

DEFENDERS:

Karl Ready

AlanAndy Sneddon? (is this someone getting it wrong or are they two separate players?) - ALAN

Jamie Doyle - Midfielder

Franz Resch

Sasa Curcic

Said Chiba

Ange Oueifio

Alex Burns - FORWARD

Gary Bollan

Yassin Moutouakil

Jonsson

Greg Denham

Danny Murphy

Bobby Donnelly

Gary Bollan

Eddie Forrest

MIDFIELDERS:

Chic McClelland - DEFENDER

Alan Mackin - DEFENDER

John Muir - DEFENDER

Gordon "Night" Mair

Derek 'Ruby' Murray - DEFENDER

Paul Keegan - FORWARD

Trevor Molloy

John Davies

Roberto Martinez

Trevor Molloy

Bob Malcom

Eddie May

Andy Dow

Alex Spark

Davie Shanks

Pat Gardner

Sam Goodwin

Alan Gow

FORWARDS:

Calum Elliot

Derek Townsley

Davide Ferrerre

Andy Roddie

John Hendrie

Omar Daly

Kevin Christie

Esteban Casagolda

Michael McGlinchy

Callum Elliot

Paul Keegan

Roy Essandoh

Richard Offiong

Stephen Halliday

CAN'T REMEMBER'S/BLANKED FROM MY MIND/BEFORE MY TIME

Neil Tarrant - STRIKER

Kevin McBride - MIDFIELDER

Brian Kerr - MIDFIELDER

Robert Maaskant - DEFENDER

Tony Thomas - DEFENDER

Angeand

Graeme Miller (if this is GREG) - FORWARD

Gunni Jonssen

Nysonnen - FORWARD

Davie Shanks - MIDFIELD

Jim Gillespie - FORWARD

John Reilly - FORWARD

Gregor Stevens - DEFENDER

Alex Kennedy - DEFENDER

Paul Shepstone

Neil Candlish - FORWARD

Derek Murray

Shaun Fagan - MIDFIELDER

Tony Vaughan

Robert Clark - DEFENDER

Derek Weldon - MIDFIELDER

Kevin McDonald

Paul Wilson - FORWARD

Khaled Kemas - FORWARD

Jim Gillespie - FORWARD

Mike Larnach - FORWARD

Stevie Nicholas - FORWARD

Jamie Fairlie - MIDFIELDER

Greg Millar

Jason Dair - MIDFIELDER

Jamie Doyle

Joni Lehtonen

Elroy Kromheer - DEFENDER

Mario Dorner - FORWARD

Abel Thermeus - FORWARD

Franck Bernhard

Graeme Smith - GOALKEEPER

Jan Michels - MIDFIELDER

Rob Matthaei - MIDFIELDER

Having seen most of these players it was really difficult to class some of them under any of the categories laugh1.gif

Elroy Kromheer was a centre half. As I recall, Tommy McLean's second attempt at replacing Craig Paterson, following Bob Maaskaant. I remember they did the comedy photo op of 6ft4 Kromheer next to wee Tommy.

Wonder if some are thinking of Bart Verheul when they are saying midfielder or forward. ..

Elroy Kromheer was a centre half. As I recall, Tommy McLean's second attempt at replacing Craig Paterson, following Bob Maaskaant. I remember they did the comedy photo op of 6ft4 Kromheer next to wee Tommy.

Wonder if some are thinking of Bart Verheul when they are saying midfielder or forward. ..

Yeah that was the one. I was mixing them up - its old age.

I watched the highlights from the '85 semi against Celtic last night from the link someone posted to lots of clips. The often mentioned John Gardiner, Derek Murray and Jamie Doyle (one of my suggestions) all seemed to have reasonable games. Murray played left back and I can't remember him ever playing anywhere else.

I watched the highlights from the '85 semi against Celtic last night from the link someone posted to lots of clips. The often mentioned John Gardiner, Derek Murray and Jamie Doyle (one of my suggestions) all seemed to have reasonable games. Murray played left back and I can't remember him ever playing anywhere else.

I dont recall Derek Murray being that bad but compared to some of the other left backs that have served us so well, he was poor in comparison. He would make a worst haircut 11 though for his Charlie Nicholas mullet perm!

Also remember an (irish?) player Mark Caughey (SP?) who was rank. And notable for being a disappointment was a young player Marty McBride, who looked great first couple of sub appearances I saw him but subsequently did nothing.

Was that the guy whose first touch in a 'Well jersey was to score an o.g. against Hamilton Accies?

I dont recall Derek Murray being that bad but compared to some of the other left backs that have served us so well, he was poor in comparison. He would make a worst haircut 11 though for his Charlie Nicholas mullet perm!

Murray's weakness was his positioning. He consistently stood too far off the man he was marking and didn't get close enough to tackle. If he had the speed of, say, and Andy Dornan, he could have got away with it. But he didn't, and he couldn't.

As someone who stood in the shed, there were many times I was closer to the opponent than he was.

As for John Gardiner - of course as a professional keeper he did occasionally make saves and even have a game or two when he didn't make mistakes. However, his overall performances were littered with poor positioning, inability to take a cross and 'spills'.

Was that the guy whose first touch in a 'Well jersey was to score an o.g. against Hamilton Accies?

I recollect Mark Caughey doing exactly that, though I'm not so sure it was against Accies. I think the Accies link comes from the swap deal that saw Jamie Fairlie go there and Caughey come to us.

He had scored a few with Accies, was an NI internationalist I believe at a time when NI had qualified for successive World Cups so weren't too shabby.

But I think he was back in NI by the start of the following season and ultimately ended up in the police.

I think we signed Mark Caughey following a goal he scored for Accies reserves against us where he ran nearly the full length of Fir Park and went round half the team. Never quite managed to produce the goods for us although I think he did go on a similar run against someone but fell over trying to knock the ball into the net.

Harsh on buzz considering he made a massive contribution to us finishing third, got himself into the Scotland squad and played well enough in his final season to get a good move.

I doubt McGhee had any special training methods he just had higher standards than maplas. I said to maplas that mcgarry and Paterson were fat and he said "what can I do about it".

I also find it a bit bizarre that Graeme Smith has even been mentioned on this thread... according to wikipedia he made 127 appearances in 4 seasons so was pretty much a regular and was part of the McGhee team. His penalty save in Nancy was about the only highlight as far as the match went and I actually thought he won the club poty / ppoty award around that time too?

I think you have to take longevity into account. Sure Bobby Donnelly was terrible but the boy only played a handful of games. The guys that are the worst to me are the ones who hang around like a bad smell. So my team will only include guys who spent more than a season at the club.

Colin Meldrum

Kevin Christie

Brian McLean

Jamie McGowan

Derek Townsley

Ian Ross

Paul Harvey

Andy Roddie

Omar Daley

John Hendry

Trevor Molloy