Worst Ever Away Day

Judge Jules

I remember it well. It was in the Scottish Cup, the season before we won it.

That was the period when Hearts were at their most detestable. Henry Smith, Walter Kidd, Craig Levein, Dave McPherson, Gary MacKay, John Robertson et all.

We had a huge support that day too. I'm sure I can remember the guys behind the GLF fanzine distributing red cards for the 'Well fans to wave at Walter Kidd.

Horrible day.

This one has to be right up there. The only bright spot were the original Inverness Caley boys who had their game cancelled and decided to throw their support behind us. Never stopped singing "we are the Caley Well" the hole game.

Another stinker was around the same time we had Dundee away the cup and got spanked 3-0. Another very healthy away support and another long and horrible journey back down the road.

hibs away, when they had the wooden benches behind the goal - no cover

cant remember if hibs infiltrated the well end or if it was well fans fighting the police

but i was about 10, and more interested in that than watching the game!!!!

anyone else have a recollection of that?

from a football point of view -

losing to St Mirren in the cup when they were in the First division - we'll call it Charlie Adam day - he destroyed us

losing to Airdrie in th cup, someone (Lasely?) scored an O|G from about 25 yards

i can accept defeats in the league, i think we are much of a muchness, losing cup games always hits me hardest as i know its our only real chance of success

Worst away day ever is it then ? Years ago we were playing Raith Rovers mid week on a shitty rainy night got my old man and me left work sharpish and set off in the rain .Over the Forth Road Bridge sleet started then snow .Get into Kirkcady and eventually get to ground and its in darkness game was off .FFS Travelling back in a full snow storm was nae fun down the coast road .We always had the radio on oin the car after that .That was a shite away day

Worst away day ever is it then ? Years ago we were playing Raith Rovers mid week on a shitty rainy night got my old man and me left work sharpish and set off in the rain .Over the Forth Road Bridge sleet started then snow .Get into Kirkcady and eventually get to ground and its in darkness game was off .FFS Travelling back in a full snow storm was nae fun down the coast road .We always had the radio on oin the car after that .That was a shite away day

At least we did not lose rolleyes.gif

For me the two cup finals I have been to that we lost 5-1 Gers in the league cup and Celtic in Scottish Cup. In your head you know it is likely we will not win against the Old firm, but there is always a wee glimmer of hope, until they score the 1st goaldash2.gif

Another horrific away day for me was in January 98 against Killie. It was an awful day weatherwise, pishing down, blowing a gale and on the way down to the game listening to the radio there was some doubt if it would even go ahead. But it did and we lost 4-1 and then to top it all there was an announcement mid way through the 2nd half to say that the main road back was closed.

Awful day.

Another horrific away day for me was in January 98 against Killie. It was an awful day weatherwise, pishing down, blowing a gale and on the way down to the game listening to the radio there was some doubt if it would even go ahead. But it did and we lost 4-1 and then to top it all there was an announcement mid way through the 2nd half to say that the main road back was closed.

Awful day.

Terrible day, terrible weather. I think there was a really bad accident on the road that day as well.

Biggest downer after a game remains the Corrigan pass back semi.

Man, I'd completely forgotten about that.

What a complete downer that was. I can remember Maloney saying they didn't deserve to win that night. Boruc made some tremendous saves that night (one from Kerr in particular) I recall.

Biggest downer after a game remains the Corrigan pass back semi.

That was an almighty sickener right enough. There was nothing between the sides throughout and to lose out in the manner we did was gut wrenching.

Although not quite on the same scale, I was gutted after the 2011 League Cup Semi at Hampden against Rangers. We got level in the 2nd half after a poor opening period and again there was nothing in it until Craigan failed to pick up Naismith late on for their winner. Then we missed a gilt edge chance to level right at the death.

Oooof, where do I start? In my first season watching Motherwell, seeing our unbeaten run come to an end at Douglas Park was hard to take. 1-6 at Tannadice when TC scored early in the pishing rain, they got relegated that year too though beating Celtic 1-0 next game made up somewhat. The Forfar LC game was dire. I remember that one at Kilmarnock well, the 1-4 game in horrendous weather. We were almost casualties ourselves, didn't make the game as on the way there one of our front wheels became detached shortly after leaving the motorway, scary times. Most gutted I ever was though was in Finland, so near yet so far all because of one bloody divot of grass. That hit hard that night.

Away to Celtic before the 2011 Cup final.

We never played a full team but being pumped 4-0 was still sore to take. To this day I question why I went to it!

The Dunfermline game during the Malpas season.

The result was bad enough but having two of our best players sent off was even worse! Reynolds' red card still baffles me. As already said I believed we would be playing in the 1st Division after it!

The St. Mirren Cup game.

The game which made me hate St. Mirren! Awful. Simply Awful!

To be honest, our performance that day gave more reasons to hate us than St. Mirren!

I've just remembered the whole Arbroath debacle in the cup. We were fortunate to be leading at half time through a Townsley goal when the ref abandoned the match. He probably saved us as we were going to be against the gale force wind for the second half.

We went up for the re-scheduled game midweek and were diabolical and escaped with a 1-1 draw. I was raging at the performance and uncharacteristically gave Davies some stick. It was a long drive home!

Hands down the Cup Final against Rangers! Remember sitting and getting more and more down as the goals went in. No need to get further into it, is there?

Close second for me would be the aforementioned East End Park defeat. 4-1 and ripped to shreds by a future motherwell star. Worst of all, Dunfermline were comfortably relegated that season yet we couldn't even grab a point there. It was a Monday night as well, which was not ideal. A contentious red card for Reynolds and the worst sliding tackle I've seen by Scott McDonald- 15 seconds after scoring from the spot- all but rubber stamped this night as one to forget.

The league cup final v Rangers was AWFULL but for me the Scottish Cup final v THEM with the pissing rain the fact that our bus fecked off when we went for a piss on the way. The bus taking HOURS to get to Hampden. And then the feckin Awfull performance from us in the game itself. It'll take a lot to beat that ABSOLUTELY PISH day. <_>

• Like 1