Andy Paton, R.i.p

Brazilian

Motherwell FC is today devastated to learn of the passing of club legend, our 'Greatest Ever Player', Andy Paton aged 91...

Andy was the only surviving member of the 1952 Scottish Cup winning side and was the oldest living Scottish International...

Paton signed for the club in '42 and spent 16 years at Fir Park before leaving in '58. He was the first 'Well captain to ever lift a trophy.

When 'Well beat a rampaging Hibs side at Hampden to lift the League Cup in 1950. He was voted the clubs' Greatest Ever Player in 2006.

No funeral arrangements are known at this time. The thoughts of everyone at Motherwell FC are with Andy's family at this sad time. #RIPAndy

The last of the '52 Legends, making it to '91 is a decent life for his generation, but still sad sad news

RIP Andy

• Like 1

just before the 2005 cis cup final I was shopping in a supermarket in a well top the old guy who was served me told me he was a friend of Andy Paton and spoke to him regularly, we chatted about the pending cup final and Motherwell he told me Andy had always followed the well and was very proud of his achievements and time with the club.

RIP Andy, a true Well legend

My grand-dad always spoke very highly of him, R.I.P. Too early to say probably but I hope that the club erect a permanent memorial for him at Fir Park.

may be the East stand could become the Andy Paton Stand?

Our club has been fortunate to have many great players in it's long and proud history. Andy Paton undoubtedly ranks up there with the finest.

My late father told me often of how current players could not lace the boots of the likes of Paton and Aitken from the great 'well sides he had seen in his youth. Who am I to argue.

RIP and sincere condolences to his family.