Dundee United V Motherwell 21/02/14

milo

He wasn't at fault for the first but his positioning for the first is terrible, basically tells the boy exactly where to put it.

Agreed and said as much watching it. He had time to close the player down but moved so far to the left of his goal it was like an invitation. But Hutchy was the real culprit. Neilson I thought did OK this evening and there were many candidates for worse player of the match.

I said the same watching it,Nielsen couldnt have given the boy a bigger gap to score if he'd run to the corner flag! But shocker of a passback from Hutch meant Dow was always favourite to score. And as unfit as we looked,you dont need to be fit to make a passback or mark a player,all goals came from defending that would make under 12's cringe

The boy Reid looked solid enough but If I was Euan Murray id be at McCalls door tomorrow morning asking for an immediate loan anywhere and a release in the summer. Murray has been part of our squad for a couple years now, highly rated in the u-20 team and while we have right backs falling like flies he is overlooked and as a last resort we sign a guy who has sat scratching his arse for 8 months and he immediately plays before him. That in itself shows McCalls attitude to youth development.

Hardly a surprise result!!! We lost 3 goals at home to Partick Thistle so anybody that had thoughts of us winning at Tannadice was seriously delusional.

Our defence is absolutely terrible and at no time could you be convinced of their ability to keep a clean sheet.

Hard hat time whistling.gifFor me one of the major problems is Shaun Hutchison. He is still making the same stupid mistakes now as he was when he came into the team and IMO he has not progressed at all. He was far too easily beaten for Partick's first goal last week and tonight he was a bomb scare. He is far too easily dragged out of position and is actually slower than he looks. He apparently does not want to stay on at the end of the season well I'd happily oblige him.

McCall needs to get a centre-back that can complement McManus by being decent on the ground because he must be pissed off having to cover for him all the time to the detriment of his own fame. He also needs to accept that Stevie Hammell's best days are gone and that he needs to get a new left back who can first and foremost defend.

Getting these positions sorted plus getting Twardzik from Dundee should be his top priority for next season.

• Like 1

Hardly a surprise result!!! We lost 3 goals at home to Partick Thistle so anybody that had thoughts of us winning at Tannadice was seriously delusional.

Our defence is absolutely terrible and at no time could you be convinced of their ability to keep a clean sheet.

Hard hat time whistling.gifFor me one of the major problems is Shaun Hutchison. He is still making the same stupid mistakes now as he was when he came into the team and IMO he has not progressed at all. He was far too easily beaten for Partick's first goal last week and tonight he was a bomb scare. He is far too easily dragged out of position and is actually slower than he looks. He apparently does not want to stay on at the end of the season well I'd happily oblige him.

McCall needs to get a centre-back that can complement McManus by being decent on the ground because he must be pissed off having to cover for him all the time to the detriment of his own fame. He also needs to accept that Stevie Hammell's best days are gone and that he needs to get a new left back who can first and foremost defend.

Getting these positions sorted plus getting Twardzik from Dundee should be his top priority for next season.

Have you ever been told that you talk shite?

• Like 1

On Hutchinson I agree 100% - decent enough player most of the time but has serious issues with concentration and discipline (both positional and when to go into tackles). As you correctly say it is the same mistakes now as three or four years ago and you would expect a young player to improve over time especially with the positional stuff. Goals like the first one we let in last night happen, better players than him have done things like that but as a general point he makes too many mistakes.

Hammell has maybe receded a bit but I still think he can do a job for us at left back.

I think against both Partick and Dundee Utd, a lot of the problems have come from Lasley and Carswell not being 100% fit which has increased the amount of pressure on our defence. Sadly it is likely the same pressure will be on them on Perth on Tuesday. Though if Reid gets a few days training it should at least mean we are able to play a back four with everyone in their own position.

I agree with El grew and tweed re Hutchinson. I'll be amazed if he's playing regularly at a league higher than spfl or league one level next season. On his game he's good enough for Motherwell but no more than that. Too error prone these days. He's regressed considerably since craigan retired. I haven't been to all of the games this season but on the evidence on what I've seen McManus has had a far better season and he's had his ropey moments!

I'm sorry I just don't see what the fuss is about with Faddy. I have only seen him having one good game all season (thistle away), he's not a team player and it's becoming embarrassing with his consistent moaning to referees - it's like watching willie miller all over again.

I have been fairly critical of lasley in the past, but there's no doubt he's been our best player this season by a country mile.

A not entirely unexpected outcome I suppose.

Dundee Utd have certainly had the rub of the green against us in the past two fixtures when you consider the strength and fitness of the teams they've faced, the gift of a first goal last night, the failure to spot a foul in the second (although I must admit I didn't see it at the game myself), the penalty claim on Vigs which could have brought us back within a goal and a deflected third. But in fairness we've pretty much got what we've deserved in each.

Very disappointing that after a decent enough start we were the architechts of our own downfall with that awful attempted pass-back. Oddly enough McCall made a point at the AGM the other night that Hutchy is far from the finished article, still has flaws and it may well be such errors that put off some potential suitors and strengthen our chances of retaining him. Well a fuck up like that, live on the telly when there's little or no other games for managers to watch as they sit in their living room and with teams in hotels up and down the country.....

The second was awful timing shortly before the break but just appeared bad defending at the time. Although a flood of texts pointing out a foul on Hammell suggested we may have had cause for complaint, as we most certainly did with the Vigurs penalty claim.

But 2-0 at half time, few complaints. We hadn't played well, couple of half chances and a penalty claim. No more than that.

The third again was awfully timed and carried some further bad luck for us. Again from my vantage point at the time I didn't quite see where our penalty had come from until baldy pointed to an outstretched arm. I was actually more concerned that we weren't going to get a corner for the deflection off the wall when he awarded it.

Bit more like ourselves after going 3-0 down that prevented it becoming a real pasting but nothing too troubling for United to deal with thereafter.

An awkward fixture chalked off the list, we move on.....and hope Thistle can do us a turn later.

I think against both Partick and Dundee Utd, a lot of the problems have come from Lasley and Carswell not being 100% fit which has increased the amount of pressure on our defence. Sadly it is likely the same pressure will be on them on Perth on Tuesday. Though if Reid gets a few days training it should at least mean we are able to play a back four with everyone in their own position.

Pretty much agree with that summing up. It was pretty depressing stuff in the first half, characterised by poor defending and an apparent lack of belief. It was disappointing to see us defend so deeply, and show fear so openly. That only encouraged United. By 8.30 I had assumed that lack of fitness had been critical in our midfield being scared to put themselves about too much and support the forlorn Sutton who looked most uncomfortable ploughing a lone furrow. However we put a lot more into the game in the second 45 and chased and harried far more - so maybe fitness wasn't so much of an issue after all.

As has been said United didn't have to work for their goals which was disappointing. Hutchy made a blunder but surely one of his colleagues could have shouted "man on" but no one did. The ref had a very poor game with a series of decisions that disadvantaged us. In recent years United have displayed an unpleasant nasty edge to their play and last night was no different. A string double footed tackles, flying elbows, leaving boots in. They quickly sussed out the ref was going to let them off leniently and took full advantage. Very, very disappointing to see young Connolly come on from the bench and not long afterwards take a blatant dive. What are they teaching their kids at Tannadice?

Still hats off to the likes of Lasley, Carswell, and Ainsworth who clearly should not have been playing but opted to declare themselves fit. Impressed by Craig Reid, who looks to be a good short term signing and Gunnar Neilsen, who could not be faulted last night.

While I wouldn't say Hutchinson has regressed, I would agree that he continues to make the same mistakes that he did three or four seasons ago and have said as much at the games this season (as Tweed will know, having had to listen to me going on about it). I tend to agree that these "brainfart" moments will limit his options in the summer. However, he may opt to move for more money which he could get at league two level...

Also agree that Lasley is having an outstanding season. Between him and Sutton for Player of the Year...

I'm sorry I just don't see what the fuss is about with Faddy. I have only seen him having one good game all season (thistle away), he's not a team player and it's becoming embarrassing with his consistent moaning to referees - it's like watching willie miller all over again.

Sadly I agree, he's done at this level. Too slow, can't beat a man and as you say is not a team player, he insists on trying to take on entire teams without passing. He's showed the odd good flash this season but nothing more.

The only reason there is any 'fuss' about him as you say is because he is who he is and what he's done in the past.

Disappointing but not unexpected result and performance . Some players carrying knocks , others playing out of position , and some bad indivudual errors all contributed to our downfall .

Just one we have to take on the chin and move onto midweek in the hope that some of the niggles clear up and that Reid is fit enough to start at R/B and give us a balanced back line .

It is inevitable with such a small squad that injuries and dips in form like we are experiencing now will happen , just got to hope that we come through the other side still within touching distance of Aberdeen for the run-in .

Its true Hutchy has maybe stagnated a little , Faddy has blown less hot than cold , and others like Vigurs and Nielsen haven't reached the heights we had hoped of them , but we are where we are with the guys at our disposable 'til the end of the season at least so just have to dust ourselves down and get on with it

A wee bit of perspective of who we are and where we are in terms of size and finances might help some folk on here live slightly less miserable lives with some of the negative , doom-mongering pish they spout on here whenever we hit a sticky patch .

Wasn't able to make the game and didn't even manage to watch it, but having seen the highlights there were clearly fouls on Hammell on the lead up to their first 2 goals and were denied a blatant penalty at 1-0 when Vigurs was flattened by gunning. That's a game changing decision right there.

Terrible attempted pass back by Hutchison.

Can't comment on how we played overall but the comments on here suggest we were outclassed which isn't so good.

Typical Utd have been poor for 6 or 7 games and then play us when we're weakened and they've found form again.

Really need to take something, anything, on Tuesday now.

Agree with the comments about hutchy regressing this season. IMO he's making more errors than before. I thought first half of last season he was awesome but hasn't carried that through. Whether that's down to interest shown in him, hes possibly getting ahead of himself and taking more risks at the back. Having said that the pass back shouldn't have been a risk, thats back to the basics.

Those that say faddy is finished at this level, are you for real?? He's not the world beater he was when he was 20, but since Christmas has still been one of our best players. He's been playing with his heart on his sleeve and showing some class. Forget his reputation and remove 'McFadden' from the back of his shirt and everyone would be happy with him. He's not the player he was at his peak but to suggest he is finished at SPL level is mental.

And I don't know how many times I have said it this season but I don't know what we'd do without keith lasley. He's 35 later this year and still the fittest player at the club but unfortunately he won't last forever. Hope we have another gem like him in the youth ranks that can fill his boots one day.

I said the same watching it,Nielsen couldnt have given the boy a bigger gap to score if he'd run to the corner flag! But shocker of a passback from Hutch meant Dow was always favourite to score. And as unfit as we looked,you dont need to be fit to make a passback or mark a player,all goals came from defending that would make under 12's cringe

The boy Reid looked solid enough but If I was Euan Murray id be at McCalls door tomorrow morning asking for an immediate loan anywhere and a release in the summer. Murray has been part of our squad for a couple years now, highly rated in the u-20 team and while we have right backs falling like flies he is overlooked and as a last resort we sign a guy who has sat scratching his arse for 8 months and he immediately plays before him. That in itself shows McCalls attitude to youth development.

Having seen a lot of u/19 and u/20 football over the last few years I am a bit mystified by this one too. The player in question in fairness did suffer a bad injury earlier this season and that seems to have set him back a bit. I might be wrong but I think he is out of contract in summer so could just walk away anyway.

Of course SM maybe doesn't fancy him as he sees him in training and in 20's matches so he may never get a proper chance.

Looking at his profile though I see the 'boy' is now 20, so not really a 'youngster' imho.

I have been working down south lately and only managed to see 'Well on the tv last night for the 1st time in ages. I would have thought Murray and possibly Leitch would have featured at some stage of the game.

SM has to my knowledge really only brought 1 player through who was at Well as a youth for any length of time ie Stuart Carswell. Even wee Craig Moore was getting less game time prior to (as I just found out last night) his injury.

I just don't think SM will risk an inexperienced player when he can find an older journeyman pro, whereas just about every other SPFL manager is doing the opposite and will no doubt reap the benefits next season and beyond as their younger players gain more experience, strength and game awareness.