Saint Johnstone V Motherwell 25/02/14

Yabba's Turd

We have a thin squad no doubt but I'm glad I'm not the only one slightly perturbed by McCall's complete lack of faith in your youth team.

In our last two games before tonight he unbalanced the entire defence by shifting our left back to right back just so he didn't have to give one of the young boys a game. Not surprisingly we conceded 6 goals in those 2 games. Surely time to give one of the young boys a chance at right back for the next game? Nope, let's spend more money(that I thought we didn't have?) on bringing in an unattached journeymen right back who's just been released by the team bottom of the league below ours instead of giving one of our own boys a chance. Another 3 goals shipped again tonight, not that I'm blaming Reid mind but you can see where I'm coming from.

Also Carswell was clearly not fit on Friday and the game passed him by but again he was patched up and put out meanwhile Jack Leitch who's been in good form for the U20's this season is sitting on the bench kicking his heels. Not surprisingly he struggled again tonight.

Could the young boys really do any worse?

• Like 2

1393366026[/url]' post='406712']

The much maligned Woods was a lot better. A lot better than the history re-writers would have us believe.

But yeah let's talk about the football and leave the abortion chat behind

Woods was a much better shot stopper. A squeaky voice and dodgey kick out but a much better keeper and not a total shitebag at crosses that only wants to punch. Slag me all you want but give me woods over this imposter any day

Slightly concerning but unsurprising that none of the kids have been given a chance and we continue to gamble with Lasley and Carswell.

Said it before the Dundee Utd game but we are running the team into the ground because McCall won't utilise our youth players properly.

The team is completely flat, run down and carrying injuries because they get pounded game after game instead of giving a Jack Leitch or a Euan Murray a game here or there when required.

Also McCall saying we were aiming to finish Top Six when we had two big games coming up that could put us in 2nd was yet another deflating moment.

• Like 1

if mccall is playing vigurs half fit ahead of leitch or thomas it's a sad state of affairs. I can see why you play lasley and carswell carrying knocks but vigurs offered nothing tonight.

Common sense says when you are shipping goals you simplify things. Mccall decided in his wisdom to play a complicated 5 man system and 4 of them didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing. 13 goals in five games but it's coming from the middle of the park.

Worrying why he wont give youth a chance........another couple of injuries might force his hand bringing in 2 or 3 at the one time....which might not be an ideal situation

Just a fact for all those knicker wetter's our there...prior to the game tonight we were the 2nd best team on form over the past six games in the SPL behind Smeltic.......FFS :blush:

Worrying why he wont give youth a chance........another couple of injuries might force his hand bringing in 2 or 3 at the one time....which might not be an ideal situation

And if that happens we are depending on young players with hardly any experience and game time.

A few weeks ago we were 3-0 up against St. Johnstone at home and who did McCall bring on? Lawson and McFadden.

That's when you introduce young players!

The same situation happened against Partick Thistle when we were 5-1 with up 25 minutes to go.

Bring them into a team high on confidence, that's winning, that has the crowd on it's side and get the young players bedded in that way.

You don't wait until you have 9 first team regulars fit and then throw kids in that have no game time or experience into a really tough situation.

It really frustrates me.

• Like 2

Just back from Perth, Neilsen MUST be dropped before he costs us anymore. Brutal for the first with what should be a keepers bread and butter and St Johnstone had clearly ear marked he was a weak link by trying to expose him at every opportunity. His kicking tonight was fucking horrific and McCall looked as if he was going to go on the park and deck him after he had kicked the ball straight out of play for the umpteenth time. The defence has zero confidence in him and it shows with the risks that they are willing to take rather than rely on him.

Angol really needs dropped and maybe even a spell back in the U20's to get some confidence back. His awareness for a professional footballer is incredibly shite, 9/10 makes the wrong choice and was hopelessly caught out for the last.

Vigurs was mostly poor, but mixed in with some nice pieces of play just emphasises what a frustrating player he is.

Sutton and Anier didn't work well at all tonight with both looking really lethargic and frankly disinterested on occasion.

MacLean found himself between McManus and Hammell for the second goal however I think Hammell should have done a lot better as MacLean was his man at the time.

Big Mick should be scoring the gilt edged chance he had just before half time, in which case we may have been looking at some points gained because St Johnstone really aren't up to much.

One of the poorest, uninspiring and insipid performances we have produced this season. Virtually no positives whatsoever to take from it.

Only Hutchy get pass marks tonights. Many questions and faults lie at the door of our manager who DESERVES the criticism tonight & from Friday Fed up of the what do you expect him to do pish from the regular happy clappers.

He signed that bombscare of a goalkeeper and he picks him - NO ONE TO BLAME BUT HIMSELF. If we don't have a young keep better than him then questions must be asked of our youth system.

Why waste a wage on a right back who couldn't hack it with the lowest placed team in the league below us when money is so tight - why not give a youth player a chance? Reid wasn't near the worst tonight but looked no better than a solid right back from an amateur team.

Why play completely unfit players in Anier, Lasley & Carswell - surely one youth player can be put in - only going to make the injuries worse.

Why play so many players out of position? and why not match the opposition and take the game to them - same V Utd and same again tonight.

Why play with one at right midfield?

I watched McCall & Black stand and look at the ground tonight from the first goal until the final whistle with no leadership from the sidelines, no inspiration from the sidelines and no direction from the sidelines. The best McCall could manage was to through his hands in the air in a tantrum at the keepers kick outs and tell Anier to come wider. Tacticlly McCall is at best naive/

There was a complete lack of fight and fitness tonight and the team looked lost. We were beaten tonight before the game kicked off.

We are going to be left with an even more threadbare team for next season and a group of youngsters who will have been given little to none 1st team experience.

Give me a youth player trying his hardest but being out his depth any day over a lazy unfit shite bag like Ian Vigurs

• Like 1

Just back as well and just when I thought we couldn't be any shiter after Friday we go and take shite to a whole new level tonight.

I hope to fuck our injury situation is worse than is being stated because at least we would have a good excuse for the performances in the last two games.

Our midfield is non existent at the moment so the defence is getting no protection and the attack is getting no support.

Add to that Hutchy having a confidence problem and a Goalie who is good for a goal a game then we are struggling badly.

I actually feel as bad tonight as I did after the Albion Rovers game and that's saying something.

I hope to fuck our injury situation is worse than is being stated because at least we would have a good excuse for the performances in the last two games.

Could it be much worse? Most of the team is known to be carrying injuries, and even one or two unfit players in a squad as thin as ours is always going to be a big problem.

To be fair a dysfunctional midfield has been brought up again and again from pre-season till tonight. As are a lack of ideas.

The points made above about the youth team I'd echo, it must also be a bit disheartening for them too seeing themselves overlooked again and again. That is unless the kids think there is a major gap themselves.

That leads me onto the next point, sitting 1 point off second, game in hand, etc. and being as pessimistic as Ya Bezzer points out. McCall repeatedly comes out with this shit when facing playing Celtic. OK it maybe is realism, but fans and players alike don't want to hear it, we want to think there's a chance. Belief has to come from the boss

• Like 2

Well that was total crap Nielsen ooft awful,ZFA inept,no fight far to many passengers at the moment. Ruby Murray a better left back than ZFA and Gardiner a better keeper than Gunnar. We desperately need a new keeper for next season Kello would be my choice.

Took McCall until Tuesday to work out what he could have done to thwart Utd, shame we were playing a different team. I believe he was caught out by the return of McLean and StJ playing 2 men up front.

McCall needs to realise we aren't a good side adapting to other teams. Play our own game and try to impose ourselves. Playing 3-5-2 was stupid since it isolated Hutchy in wide areas and gave their full backs free reign to be an easy out ball while they had the length of the park to themselves. Easton was in acres of space as he lined up the cross for the 2nd. We really struggle outside of our standard 4-4-2

The midfield was a joke with Anier and Sutton both playing mainly in the centre of the park we had no width to provide easy out balls, ZFA did okay but anytime he got 30 yards from goal Croft and their full back doubled up on him. Lasley, Carswell and Vigurs were doing a lot of standing about similar to the LAwson - Vigurs - Lasley trio from the beginning of the season, they couldn't space themselves out and didn't understand where they should be playing to be effective. The galling thing is we did the exact same thing earlier in the season at McDairmid playing with no width and we got horsed that day as well.

That must be the end for Neilsen. I don't care who is in goals but not him. Hollis has been back on the bench, hopefully he will be in for the Hearts game.

• Like 2

To be fair a dysfunctional midfield has been brought up again and again from pre-season till tonight. As are a lack of ideas.

Probably the poorest performance of the season to date. Saints were no great shakes but they were easily worth their 3 or perhaps 4 goal advantage. We showed no determination and fight and were well off the pace. Our right hand side was bare and gave Craig Reid no protection in the first half. I thought he had a very decent game. Hutchy too had a reasonable game. Neilsen was far from impressive in goals but as Steve Diggle says he was left very exposed by a poor defence and non existent midfield. Once again our midfield was imbalanced, especially in the first 45 minutes, and for long periods totally anonymous. Of course half fit players and injuries took their toil. We defended far too deep in the first half and that made it easy for Saints to be creative and threaten Neilsen.

A very disheartening performance.

For Saturday, I'd bring back Hollis, if fit, and swap Jack Leitch for Stuart Carswell, who looks half fit and totally out of his depth just now. A few other changes are also required, although we are very limited. Time to blood some youth but not too many at once.

• Like 2

A lot has been made of our 100% record against the bottom 6, tonight has just reinforced how rotten they collectively are and how the other 4 teams in the top 6 apart from us have something about them (ICT have stalled under Yogi but if Tel was still there it would be different). Our performances against them have been pretty much woeful, I'd hate to see a table of just the top six.

A lot was made of our run in December/January, we had a functioning defence, arses kicked after Albion Rovers/Celtic results and mostly bottom six opposition, it didn't stop many on here thinking a new keeper was the key to our season and revival.

The astute observations above from Kmcalpin and Casagolda highlight a degree of naivety in tactics, team selection and dare I say it, nothing learned and applied from Doncaster away in July.

Yes, we are suffering a horrendous injury list and lack of confidence in our keeper, exacerbated no doubt by the fact in the past few years both those issues were no factor, if anything we've been spoiled on these fronts.

Significant rebuilding was required, but if basics and understanding can't be adopted and applied by the end of February, when will they?

Significant rebuilding was required, but if basics and understanding can't be adopted and applied by the end of February, when will they?

Well last season's team was the culmination of 4 years of building (and with more money to spend). Come the summer I'm sure there will be some more ins and outs to move us forward, but with the best will in the world we weren't going to reach last year's peak in a single season.

1393364887[/url]' post='406694']

What dont we deserve...after 26 games we have taken 70% of the total points on offer and as a result are 3rd in the league. Carry on that percentage in the last 12 games and we will have a 72 point total our highest ever in the SPL. So feck off and dont talk shite.

The majority of our points have been picked up against the bottom six, our record against the top six this season has been shocking and outwith our run from mid December to early January our performances have been average to rank and I defy anyone to contradict that. On top of that throw in two absolutely stinking cup performances and I'd say that this has been a disappointing and frustrating season.

If we carry on the way we're going as you say then we won't be finishing third either, especially with a goalkeeper who makes Woods look like Oliver Khan chucking in three goals a game.

• Like 1