Motherwell V Hearts 01/03/14

Yabba's Turd

Not much to complain about today. Some great goals, some comedy moments (McFadden trying to score the kind of goal at 4-1 that he scored ten years ago and ending up on his arse). Just a really enjoyable watch when McFadden and Vigurs are on it..

Word about McFadden. There's weeks when it's not working and he spends half his time arguing with refs and anyone else who's there. But the desire is obviously there and it shows today when, despite all he's achieved, you see how much it means to him when he scores. I love the guy...

• Like 3

Just finished watching on Alba, very happy with the performance, brilliant to see the team bounce back after a couple of disappointing results.

Faddy was magnificent today, great to watch. Was delighted he got a goal after setting up the 1st 3.

Loved big Hutchie's run forward in the 79th minute, brought a big smile to my face biggrin.gif

Great result today, Faddy showing what a lass ac the can be and the young lads generally playing well especially Jack Leitch.Good to see Hollis back in goals though to be fair he didn't have much to do. Funny how his stock has risen dramatically without him kicking a ball...whistling.gifWell done to all today in a game that, I had the fear about!

Good solid performance today albeit against an already defeated Hearts team. Great debut from young Leitch.

Faddy showed some real class a well and big Sutton worked his arse off all day, always gives 100%!!

wee mention for Hollis as well, never rated the guy but he done well today and looked more confident than i've seen him before, he also deserves a chance back in the team after gunners sub standard performances!!

Sitting in the main stand its plain to see how much the club needs the 'Well Bois, the bring a great atmosphere to the place and are a credit to the club!! keep it up guys!!

• Like 1

Great all round performance from all areas . Happy to see a goalie catch a ball in the air even though he didn't have to much action. Reid and Leitch fitted in well ,Murray coped with what he had to do. Lasley a stalwart as usual. Faddy showed what he is really about and great to see him last the full game. Happy I went today.

I was expecting a tough, close, scrappy game today, but Hearts just weren't at the races and couldn't cope with us. I hugely enjoyed that today, and it's great to see the team playing with a smile on their faces. 4-1 in actuality somewhat flattered Hearts as it could have been several more. A lot of positives to take from today's game. The young lads came in and did well. Jack Leitch looked like a player who's been in the team all season, not a young lad making his league debut. Very composed and positive, looking to get the ball moving forward. Hollis coming in seemed to make a difference in the defence, and he commanded his box well, got up to collect crosses, and just seemed to settle the back line. I hope he can build on that and help shore up the leaky defence. Reid seemed decent enough, good to have someone out there who can play right back naturally enough.

Hutch's run was absolutely brilliant. When he finally got brought down, it was great to see Vigurs and McFadden walking over to him laughing their asses off at his silky skills.

Speaking of, Vigurs, Ainsworth and McFadden were all excellent today and Hearts just couldn't handle them. Faddy especially was a class above, easily his best performance of the season, and a very unselfish one at that. It was absolutely brilliant to see him get the captain's armband when Lasley went off. You can just see how much every goal means to him, and feel how the stadium lights up when he gets on the ball. Fantastic.

• Like 1

Seeing the looks on the faces of some of the Hearts fans today, they know they are down and don't really have much hope of getting back in one year if they can't sign players while they are in Admin. They also do not seem to be behind their manager and his tactics and calling for him to go. Normally I would be the first to say 'roon ye' but we have been there and I hope they see a light at the end of the tunnel for the monumental cock up that was the Romanov reign. We had a few shady characters if mind serves me right looking to buy us when we were at our lowest and not with the best interests of the club and its continued existence uppermost in their thoughts.

Anyway, on a lighter note cracking goals, Sutton back haunting his old club and hopefully a few of the younger guys getting a taste of first team action with more to come.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Faddy and Vigurs completely ran the game! It was a joy to watch! Vigurs' pass over the top of the defence to Angol early in the first half stood out and did Faddy's one touch to bring the ball down from the goal kick in the 2nd!

Also, it was great to see everyone join in with the "Stand Up for the Motherwell" chant today and the "KEITH" chant sounded amazing when he was substituted!

Great day at the football!

A great result and performance today. It could easily have been 5 or 6-1 had we taken our chances. In truth I was expecting a far harder game. Great too to see Jack Leitch make his debut and Murray & Cadden get game time. No real failures today and I thought Hutchinson, Vigurs, Faddy and Reid really caught the eye. Leitch too had a decent game. I'm not Lee Hollis's greatest fan but he did no wrong today. Faddy had a real cracker of a game and Craig Reid really impresses - solid defender, good in the air and good going forward. Having seen him in the past 3 games I'd say he's a better back than Tom Hateley and I'll be disappointed if we don't sign him on a longer deal. Credit too to Keith Lasley - he's had a mixed season in my book but he's played whilst not fit and set a great example today.

Dont rate Hollis and he had a couple of flaps but all in all he was pretty decent. The big thing for me is how much more comfortable the defence looked & acted today.

Great result and delighted to see McCall,no matter how grudgingly it was done, play some of the young guys

I'm sorry, Dave, I know you're not his biggest fan but to say that Lasley has had a mixed season beggars belief. Actually one of the few players who has maintained a level of consistency this season.

Given he can be nowhere near full fitness, I thought he was outstanding. Ambitious volley attempt aside obviously...

Maybe but it was still their biggest league defeat of the season.

Did they not lose 4-0 at home to Kilmarnock?

Anyway, pedantry aside a lot to be happy about tonight. We've bemoaned the defence in recent weeks and that corner apart they did really well. We have now scored 17 goals in the last 5 at Fir Park which is outstanding in anyone's book.

Faddy and Vigurs both had their best game of the season today. You would never have known it was Leitch's first start at this level and looked like he had been there for years. Ainsworth is a bit hot and cold but he seems to have both in the same game whereas Humphrey had many days when he was really quiet for the full 90.

Really pleased with Reid. Not showy or brilliant but doubt we could have done any better from the out of contract pool available to us when the injuries hit and he certainly didn't let anyone down.

Murray looked fine on the ball but not sure he is going to have the pace to survive at this level. The thought of someone like McGinn running at him is frightening.

No complaints at all with Hollis.

Good day's work.

Dont rate Hollis and he had a couple of flaps but all in all he was pretty decent.

Considering how long he's been side lined you expected him not to flap? Don't understamd why he's not rated by some. Anytime I've seen him he's aquitted himself well.

• Like 1

Did they not lose 4-0 at home to Kilmarnock?

Aye, I had it as 3-0 on my Hearts stats and 4-0 on my Kilmarnock stats. Glad you pointed it out!

Here's one I'm pretty sure is right. John Sutton is 4 goals away from his 50th league goal for Motherwell. Would be nice if he could hit that landmark before the end of the season.

Only three other players have done it in our top league run since the mid eighties - Kirk, Arnott and Coyne.

What caused the loud bang that came from the end of the east stand?

I heard that on BBC Alba, just before it happened the drummer looked to the back of the stand.

Not much to complain about today. Some great goals, some comedy moments (McFadden trying to score the kind of goal at 4-1 that he scored ten years ago and ending up on his arse).

LOL, I was screaming at my PC "Pass the ball!'"

Yesterday was great - Vigurs and Faddy were magic. Ainsworth did well although he looked to be carrying a knock. Jack Leitch and Euan Murray showed McCall the error of his ways in the previous league games.

That's a good few times he's been shown that in one or two positions introducing the more promising youngsters can get you out a hole. He should have learned when Carswell made the first team shirt his own. But he seems to have to 'learn' it time and time again.

Maybe he should write it in big letters on an A4 sheet and put it on his office wall.

'Unfit or Out of Position - it doesn't have to be that way,

Yours sincerely

Stuart McCall'

Anyway hats off - he did make the switches and it paid of - and some.

A great performance where we just overran them.

Really enjoyed the result and some of the play, but so disappointed at how poor Hearts were, even Jamie McDonald had a surprisingly poor game in goals... thankfully!

The crowd's laughter when McFadden landed on his @rse when he tried his mazy run towards the end was superbly captured by Alba's coverage, which I noticed was broadcastable before the watershed.

Any win over Hearts is a welcome one, so a resounding ones hugely enjoyable. To pump them 4-1 without ever really getting out of second gear is very pleasing too. After the previous two performances we really needed that, and it was great to Faddy and Vigs run the show so convincingly.

Murray looked fine on the ball but not sure he is going to have the pace to survive at this level. The thought of someone like McGinn running at him is frightening.

He's an inexperienced, right footed centre back who ended up having to play left back in only his 2nd ever appearance in professional football. I thought he did quite well all things considered.

Anyway there were no failures, the much maligned duo of Vigurs and Faddy were the stars of the show and were a real joy to watch. Reid and Ainsworth both had good games and linked well down the right. Lee Hollis was solid and quite frankly that's all I'm wanting from a keeper at this moment of time. Special mention to young Jack Leitch who had a very good full debut. Very impressed by his willingness to get on the ball and his range of passing. A few overly ambitious passes but he certainly offers more on the ball than Carswell and offers more going forward, was great to see him get forward a few times and get into the box and was unlucky with his effort that Macdonald saved with his legs at the near post.

Hearts were rank rotten but you can only beat what's in front of you and after the week we've had it was always going to be important to bounce back with win, the fact we did it in such style was a real bonus.

I thought young leitch was good as well. Looked like he fancied a glory shot now and again as well which is something some of our established players are a bit scared to take on.

Did notice leitch never passed to ZFA at all when he was the easy open man. Maybe he didnt notice him or he just knows zanes not the best.

Regardless, great debut, looking forward to seeing more of the lad.

Loads of positives to take from yesterday - Regulars coming onto a great game, newer faces doing very well, Hollis looking confident. We also played some of the nicest passing football I've seen all season. Hearts were pish, but to dominate a potentially sticky game off the back of two sore defeats will hopefully give them full club a lift.

We play Hibs and Inverness before Aberdeen play their next league game so two wins there and the pressure is back onto them.

Any win over Hearts is a welcome one, so a resounding ones hugely enjoyable. To pump them 4-1 without ever really getting out of second gear is very pleasing too.

That's my thoughts too. I was still a kid when Hearts were coming to Fir Park and putting four past us, ie. 97/98 when they done us 4-1 and 4-2 and those defeats hurt and their fans were as smug as you can get about it on those occasions so I'll never tire of seeing us hand out a mauling to them.